Please Vote here: POLL LINK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 20:07

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 20:07
Well we are flogged on that one
AnswerID: 111680

Reply By: peterK - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 20:22

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 20:22
The best idea is not to follow the link (sorry stan nothing personal) . the SMH doesnt care, every day they have polls - so that people who care will go and vote. In doing so you increase their page hits, thus increase their advertising attractiveness. eRgo they make money.
They know that forums and the like spread the word and get those who care to vote No - its exactly what the marketing department wants.

Better off being beaten 1000000 to 0 - it wont make any difference and its 1000000 less people that will visit their sites. I mean if they really cared do you think they would advertise 4wds in their classifieds
AnswerID: 111687

Reply By: Member - Chris L (QLD) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:05

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:05
here we go again go and get your tape measure and see if the commodore wagan is the same length as your 4x4 my jero is shorter that one and 9 time out of 10 it's the nut behind the wheel ... Sure i can sell the jero and buy a tarago it's big than a commodore wagon so who is going win here ?????? i will never stop driving a 4wd ?? cheers chris
AnswerID: 111693

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:07

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:07
Ban 4WD around schools?

Yes, agree with coroner's 200m zone - 61%

I'd say its going to stick this time.
AnswerID: 111694

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:45

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:45
Disagree Truckster, my vote, ban 4WD's inside school grounds, this is the first step to banning all vehicles, where there are school students, age aside, commuting from place to place, be it supervised or unsupervised.
When I was a little boy growing up and going to school, there were no vehicle movements permitted inside the school grounds whilst school children were present, school children were supervised whilst in open areas, be it for sport, recreation or learning, and most important there were very few injuries in these areas. Truely amazing stuff! People start communicating with your local, state and federal pollies on this issue as there is a long and hard battle before us. Next we will have a recommendation to ban 4WD.s from our National Parks, that is when I lock into a CAMRY, yuk dred the thought. Speak out be heard!
FollowupID: 368074

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 15:45

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 15:45
How is banning vehciles from school grounds going to help? The kids will just have to walk out of the grounds onto the roads where the cars are going faster instead. Complete and total nonsense!
FollowupID: 368165

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:18

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:18
Just watched the report on channel 9 I couldn’t believe how many car’s were around the school dropping kid’s off. When I was younger we would walk or ride to school most of the time (Primary school). The only time we got dropped off or picked up was if it was raining. Or had after school sport/ commitment’s when in High school. (I am not that old).

I like how they said they were like driving a truck around, now anybody who has driven a truck knows that when you jump back into your 4wd it feels like driving a spots car.

“Urbane assault vehicle, real weapon of mass destruction” what a Dic* head Can see he has never been anywhere out of the metro area probably doesn’t even know what a gravel road or a kangaroo looks like or what country he is living in the reason most of us buy teas vehicle’s is because we have a legitimate use for them. I am glad to see they had the 4WD monthly guy on there to.

If you a going to ban one vehicle on school grounds ban them all

AnswerID: 111697

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:26

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:26
"Just watched the report on channel 9 I couldn’t believe how many car’s were around the school dropping kid’s off."

Its crazybleepzen some days at my sons school.. NOBODY walks anymore, most people dont trust the surroundings to let their kid out of sight to walk/ride/run/rollerskate etc to school... Sad but I wouldnt let Cammo walk.

I mean you cant park within 500+mtrs some days, and some people drive up and down the road insanely looking for an inch to stick a bumper to pretend they are off the road, or double parking is another one...

There was one slag in a commodore the other day that had 2 wheels blocking 1/2 the footpath in the "TWO MINUTE ZONE" just so she could wait there for 20 mins for little Apple to come out of school. No mention of that on tele eh...
FollowupID: 368053

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:57

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:57
This is exactly what I was refering to in my previous follow up. When our local and state governments approve the construction of/ redevelopment of our local schools they and the developers must look at the big or even bigger picture and factor into drop off and pick up zones mothers encountering PMS, running late, to drop off the kid/s, get to the leg wax appoinment, do the banking/shopping, have coffee etc. etc. Get these people off your main access routes, place them into areas where there are trees and other natural calming devices, like uniformed police during rush hour/s. Every school/family should employ an Uncle Buck! Ponder the thought people. Stay safe.
FollowupID: 368077

Reply By: Wombat - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:18

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:18
Baaaaaah!!
AnswerID: 111698

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 08:03

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 08:03
Yeah me too!!
FollowupID: 368106

Reply By: John - Qld - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:01

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:01
It's about time Pat Callihan got his mug on the screen a bit more.

Must be hard though with old 'Harold Scrubmeby' taking the limelight. Media always love the fanatics over reality.

Can u imagne the backlash if this all causes regulation of some kind. Will we get off our backsides then?

AnswerID: 111706

Follow Up By: John - Qld - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:01

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:01
that should have been 'Scrubme4by'
FollowupID: 368061

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:11

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:11
Will we get off our backsides then?

it will be too late then - if it isnt already.
FollowupID: 368066

Reply By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:08

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:08
I guess I just can't go to work anymore!!! My wife and I are both teachers.

In all the schools we have worked at, 20-25% of teachers drive 4WDs, usually the larger ones! How will this proposal affect what is likely to be 1000s of 4WD loving teachers???
AnswerID: 111709

Reply By: Member - Matthew L (NSW) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:15

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:15
What are they going to do with the school buses? Surely they must have a larger blind spot than a 4WD.I would like to watch them try to enforce this law , maybee tie a few more police up doing this , meaning a few less chasing drug dealers and peodophiles
AnswerID: 111711

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:02

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:02
meaning a few less chasing drug dealers and peodophiles...

what both of them?
FollowupID: 368079

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 09:41

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 09:41
I agree with rear vision being the problem in most 4wd's but all vehicles have this problem to a degree. So you take more care when reversing, not rocket science is it?

My wife's caris a Chrysler PT Cruiser.
With the rear seats upright the rear view is extremely impeded due to headrests and large rear pillars. There is no way to see a 5 yo walking behind the car.

The root cause here is lack of suitable supervision by the parents, nothing more or less than that. We all know how easy it is to lose track of toddlers anywhere, so should we ban swimming pools in homes unless we have a dedicated lifegaurd on duty because little kids have drowned in them before.

This is a tragic loss and i don't discount the pain and suffering the parents have endured, but the cause is not the vehicle.

Scruby must be relishing this, the single-minded slime that he is. He will cynically seize on every opportune event to further his mindless cause. His concern will be faked, he only wants to improve his visibility to the public.

FollowupID: 368124

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:32

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:32
around my daughter's school it's chaos, the poor driving has nothing to do with the type of vehicle being driven, but the impatience of the mothers [and it's mainly mother's who pick and drop off] I have taken to parking in a dead end street and walking the rest of the way because I don't want to be driven into, or backed into. Poor visibilty is certainly an issue, esp when the driver is yapping to the child next to her instead of watching what she's doing, and I've seen this countless of times.

Impatience and awareness, that's the key, not the type of vehicle, but I doubt that argument would hold water.

Lyn
AnswerID: 111716

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:04

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:04
arent you one of them terrorists in a 100 series? :P
FollowupID: 368080

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 07:40

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 07:40
yes in a 100 Series, but hardly a terrorist :)) I
FollowupID: 368105

Reply By: John - Qld - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 07:35

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 07:35
When another child is run over and the driver is driving a delivery van which also has poor vision will we then ban these and so on. I agree it is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed immediately but consider this - people reverse everyday into things in shopping centre carparks. If there is to be a ban, ban the people not the vehicles.

John
AnswerID: 111741

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 15:49

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 15:49
When my wife drops our son off at school there is probally about 30% 4wd vs 70% sedan/wagon/hatch vehicles in the car park.

Ours is the ONLY vehicle in that carpark with a reverse beeper.

No, the falcons don't, no the commodores don't, know the Australian Air Express Van with no windows doesn't.

If that little girl had been hit by a corolla the only thing different would have been that it wouldn't have made the national news.
Sorry, but that's the truth!

FollowupID: 368166

Reply By: rob&kev&roo - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:08

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:08
I don't know if this has already been said, but this will never come in as the highest number of registered 4WD per population in this country is Mosman and that is also a very wealth area and there is no way the bridge and tennis playing set will walk 10 meters let alone 200mtrs to drop of their kids, therefore the money people will stop it.
AnswerID: 111805

Reply By: rob&kev&roo - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:09

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:09
I don't know if this has already been said, but this will never come in as the highest number of registered 4WD per population in this country is Mosman and that is also a very wealth area and there is no way the bridge and tennis playing set will walk 10 meters let alone 200mtrs to drop off their kids, therefore the money people will stop it.
AnswerID: 111806

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:23

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:23
Ban cars in carparks. Can you think of anywhere more dangerous than in a carpark with mum and the kids wandering about tryng to remember where they put the car. The blind spots in underground carparks especially when they are half lit are worse than the blind spots in cars. I have a friend with a Toyota sillycar and you cannot see anything 6 metres around the rear and 4 metres around the front. Ban them!!!! Ever driven a truck? Blind spots everywhere. Ban them!!! The problem is not the vehicle it is the driver. As long as you know where your blind spots are drive to them accordingly. Mind you, if you are a parent with a kid and you are in a carpark where there happen to be cars, then hold onto the kids hand. It does not matter if it is a school carpark or public carpark it is a dangerous place, kids do not think of danger and they are at greater danger in that I understand kids do not have periferal vision. They see even less than we do. I note a number of fools driving around carparks like they are a race track.
My heart goes out to the family of the little girl killed. I hope I never have to feel the pain they have. I hope all parents and car drivers learn a lesson from the incident.
The rubbish put out by the coroner however does not help in parent and driver education. To put the women driver off the road for 3 years for negligent driving and then seemingly absolve her of responsibily by blaming the vehicle is illogical. Thank goodness Michael Costa, the Tranport Minister has some common sense.
AnswerID: 111827

Sponsored Links