Triton Keyless entry remote

Submitted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:07
ThreadID: 23095 Views:6723 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've just bought an early 2001 Triton GLS dualcab, but the remote is not with it and it only has one key. The key supposedly has a "chip" in it and so I can't get a spare cut at a locksmith. Our local dealer wants $90 something dollars for a key plus $15 to program it and $200 something dollars for a remote plus $15 to program it.
The dealor looked up the VIN and said it did come with a remote originally. (original owner doesnt have them anymore) Anyone Know if this is right. Could a 2nd hand one from a wreckers work? What about an aftermarket brand?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: banjodog - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:32

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:32
What you were told (can't comment on the costs) from the dealer is/would be correct.

As it's part of ARD 82 - engine immobiliser ADR – endorsed on 16 January 2001, determined on 13 February 2001 and gazetted on 2 March 2001.

Check to see if ADR 82 is on the plate in the engine bay as the year model you stated is in the range of the ADR. I would think this time around, swallow hard and pay up. Might also be worth asking your insurance company if they cover those sort of things if lost, stolen or damaged - most would I would think.

If you can get the keys insured, make sure it's listed on the policy - just like bull bars, winches etc.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 111810

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 17:28

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 17:28
Had these dramas with a magna a little while back. There is an immobiliser chip in the key which is read by the ignition and talks to the ECU somehow. If you bugger the key, the car will crank, but engine will not run.
A cheaper key was sourced at trade price by chatting to a panel beater and getting him to organise it thru mitsubishi (which seems the ONLY way we found of getting it cheaper than what youquoted)
The option of a new ignition barrel and matching keys is there, but I imagine you will likely have dramas further down the track, esp if they cant match up your VIN to the ignition and you dont have the full details of the replacement.

With the remote- going for an aftermarket alarm will get you replacement remotes, and probably the installation of the alarm will give you 10% off your insurance too. May be worth investigating.

Either way, the price you mentioned for cutting a key is not over the top- Ford keys are much the same price.
AnswerID: 111816

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 20:03

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 20:03
I have had an ordinary (cheap) key without the immobiliser chip cut as a spare to get into the vehicle and keep the expensive key with the chip buried inside the vehicle.

Then when I am fishing or at the beach etc. I will not damage or lose the expensive immobiliser key.
FollowupID: 368203

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:18
I just had a chat with a mate who also copped the same drama and he says
Yes, get a piece of paper that says ORDER No 1234 from Bulldust Auto Repairs and give it to the Magna dealer (tell him you are a backyarder)

I guess it comes down to who you speak to.
AnswerID: 111826

Reply By: bjinbundy - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 08:38

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 08:38
Thanks heaps for your help. I guess I've learnt a lesson here when buying my next vehicle! Could a remote from a wreckers be reprogrammed?
AnswerID: 111897

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:09

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:09
I would think so... would be worth checking with Mitsu- I have seen other cars remotes just set with a series of 10 on-off switches inside the remote. If you pick up a few you may be able to save on the cost of reprogramming each one by just getting one and setting the others to match.
However, when have you ever been able to buy just one part from a wreckers when you really want it? I reckon if they have the remotes they will want to flog off the whole setup- keys, barrel and remotes.
FollowupID: 368249

Reply By: bjinbundy - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:51

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:51
Thanks BenSpoon
Your probably right, I'll make some phone calls to wreckers. Unfortunately I dont know anyone in the industry so I think I may end up getting one genuine key cut and buy an accessory car alarm to get the remotes. (This would be cheaper than one original remote!)

Cheers
BJ
AnswerID: 111913

Sponsored Links