80 series GXL factory turbo

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2310 Views:1747 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
just spent a few days at ROBE S/A sand dunes beach ect and the truck went ok but died a bit on the big dunes . 3low not enough speed 2high not enough power.i had one passinger, fridge and about 180 lt fuel still in my tanks (so up on weight).i read about some way of getting more power from my turbo.any ideas SAFE DRIVEING MAL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: charlie - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
I too have a turbo 80, and am interested in getting a little more juice out of it. I will be fitting larger tyres probably 33s or 35's. I know that Safari and some of the other Turbo makers do an intercooler for it but the price is roughly 3000 fitted. Would like to know if anyone has increased the boost or if this is even possible on the factory unit.

good luck

Charlie
AnswerID: 8288

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Intercoolers, and aftermarket turbos help but cost the budget of a small nation. Injector clean, and proper servicing is also a good move... Removing around 800kgs would help!

Depends on what you expect, they are a big car, and areodynamic as a brick... With all the goodies we lump onto our cars, be thankful they dont die more often! Specially with some of the people gettin carried away with accessories.

try the 80scool homepage, under technical... Good source of info on 80's.

With going to bigger tires, you will suffer unless you change diff ratios... Specially with 35's....

YMMV.
AnswerID: 8291

Reply By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Mal, We have a 97 factory turbo, and prior to that had a 90 model factory turbo. While the late model is a good vehicle to drive, has cruise and very quiet, the 90 model pulled like a train, and let you know it. Went up the Toowoomba Range in 5th gear once, the 97 model can't do that! The 90 model had 31.5x10.5R15 tyres on it, which are a lot smaller than the 265/75R16 fitted to our current wagon. Truckster made some excellent points too. Get rid of some weight. Need that second set of wheels - everything is usually a compromise.
Fit a 3" exhaust to your turbo and you'll be pleasantly surprised, more go, bit more sound, but also an improvement in economy. Both our wagons were real "slugs" if the revs weren't up to 1800rpm, no better than std diesel.
There seems to be a bit of negativity towards A/M intercoolers on this forum, whether its price or performance, am not sure. Overheating has been mentioned too, Safari suggests that their intercooled units run coolers - lot of money to find out . catch you later...
AnswerID: 8297

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

I was at Robe on the weekend in a group of petrol vehicles and all got around in 3L and made it up some of the largest dunes. I found 2H to be a bit easier though! Noticed the diesels found the going hard up the big dunes, in particular a 3.0l Patrol and a Hilux. Sand dune driving appears to be one application where petrol engines are the go.

Leroy......3.2 V6 Petrol Rodeo.....
AnswerID: 8300

Reply By: Member - Graham - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Mal, check out the hyclone site, they sugest one before the turbo apparently brings the turbo in earlier, i know it helped a little on a n/a diesel 80 + responsible for 3% improved economy
AnswerID: 8306

Sponsored Links