Changing seats - Warning

Submitted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 23:37
ThreadID: 23113 Views:2459 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
After reading article in VKS 737 newsletter and following on from Post 22993
I made an inquiry at Vic Roads as I am intending to change my front 3/4 bench to a bucket seat. I was in formed that if I change the seating capacity which appears
on your compliance plate then the vehicle has to be sighted by an authorised engineer which he will releive you of $200 thankyou very much then you have to take the paper work to Vic roads and they change their data base accordingly
and then if you wish to change it back yep you guessed it go through it all over again. My understanding is that it doesn't matter which rows of seats you intend to take out it all depends on what the compliance plate says.
And as for our brother law inforcers comments in previous post saying something along the lines of there are more important things to worry about in this world !!
Yes I am worried as some of you may remember my 80 series was stolen then the Insurance company tried to screw me took 3 months fighting the pri**ks
before I got my money and even then not enough
So yes I'm worried I don't want to give them any more excuses than the ones they are masters at.
Thats the story in Vic,
May pay to look at Vehicle Standards No 19 on Vicroads web site.
Sorry the post got a little long
Cheers
Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 07:41

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 07:41
Hi Barry, can you tell us more on why the insurance co tried to screw you , or was it a personal thing ?
AnswerID: 111891

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:05

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:05
It wasn't personnal at the beginning but it sure became personnal by the end !!!
It is a very long story but the accessor first tried to give me $7000 less than policy written for he gets extra commisssion if I accept.
Because I did not accept they then said that all the acccessories I had listed didn't exist and that was mainly what the fight was over
I had to proove they existed even though they were notified at time of purchase and I had been paying extra premium for 12 months
The support I recieved from other formites at the time was a real help in beating the Pr**ks
thats the short story ????
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 368246

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:16

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:16
Interesting barry, how in the end did you prove it?

Might be time to take photos of every accessory in the truck for evidence, but then again they probably wouldnt believe that either.. :(
FollowupID: 368252

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 11:45

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 11:45
Truckster- The mob I was working for before (RACWA) took close to any proof that you could give- I provided an empty box an manual for my stolen GPS and it was replaced. People commonly take video of contents/accessories, and so long as it is listed and conforms with policy docs (something like if its over $750 for an individual accessory you need to get make, model, serials for the Ins Co and some proof eg: photo, video, reciept or old packaging etc) you should be sweet.
FollowupID: 368260

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 08:59

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 08:59
Hi Barry,

We have a similar thing here in QLD.

My son has just completed a buildup of an FJ40 Short Wheel base. Originally it came with a bucket seat for the driver and what they class as a two seater passenger bench seat. The underbonnet compliance plate showed it as a 3 seater.

My son wanted to get rid of all of these and put a set of buckets in.

Firstly the supporting frame had to be modified to meet Australian Design Rules and then the seats had to be mounted. This then had to be signed off by an engineer for around $300.00 and then he had to get a second guy to isue a modification plate to say that the seating capacity was now down to 2. This was another $100.00 I think.

We had been down this path earlier when he had a roll cage fitted and also with alterations to his seat belt mounts.

After all this we then went to QLD Transport and got it registered.

It is something to be aware of for sure and it can get quite costly but it all has to be done properly as well. Also the insurance company would only cover the car with all the work correctly signed off.

Have a good one.

AnswerID: 111898

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 09:57

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 09:57
I hope the same is not true in WA because I've just removed the rear seats in my Defender so I can get an extra spare tyre, fuel and water jerries in easily. The backs already full with a 60 ltr. Engel and other stuff!
I'll be putting them back in when the Broome and GRR trip is over so I suppose I'd better hope no enthusiastic copper will come poking his nose in.
Hardly likely in WA though as they're only interested in speeders.
Cheers to all.
A.
FollowupID: 368243

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:14

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:14
Alan.
I think you will find it is law in all states.

but think of the 100's of thousands of 4bs out there with the rear seat of seats removed in the sheds (EG GQs with the 7 seats removed)..

I cant understand why they would have issues with LESS seats.. With more yes without doubt, but whats the issue with less?
FollowupID: 368251

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:01

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:01
I tried saying this in a thread last month or so, but there was someprick who though the knew better, and tried to get the world to do the work for him.

The main reason they want to inspect it is to make sure the mounts arent just hunks of wood.. there was a story on tele some affairs show while back, dude had blocks of wood BOLTED to the floor, then the seat was mounted on with large screws...

Same if you change your seat for SAME seating #, you have to get it engineered. EG if you put Recaros in your truck.. When I got the Paratus seats, the mounting kit came with a 'pre' engineer cert to say the mounts conformed to this that and the other.
AnswerID: 111904

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:07

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:07
Funny that eh T.

Some bloke said it was all BS

Some bloke said it was an old Wives Tale

Some bloke recently said . . . The Cops no nothing about it . .
FollowupID: 368248

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:09

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:09
yea I remember him...
Wheres ya proof
wheres ya evidence
where is it in writing
get it for me
while your out get me a footlong chicken terraki subway

shame he never proved otherwise...
FollowupID: 368250

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 11:53

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 11:53
Truckster,

You are spot on. We were told it was to make sure it was done properly and then the engineer guy went on about some installs he had seen and how dangerous they were.

It's still a pain in the arse going through all the red tape though but it is unavoidable.

Take it easy.
FollowupID: 368263

Reply By: Member - Ray - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 12:05

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 12:05
I think we are all of the same opinion. Installs need to be done to the approved standard but why the heck should it matter if a row of seats are removed.(providing no passengers use the floor to sit on)
AnswerID: 111920

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 12:15

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 12:15
Quote: why the heck should it matter if a row of seats are removed.(providing no passengers use the floor to sit on)

Its ALL about the vehicle ADR's , and NOTHING to do with safety at all.

Vehicles on the road MUST meet the relevant ADR's , otherwise , they are unroadworthy , and uninsured.

As petty as it is , and I agree that it is . . . thems the rules (or ADR's in THIS case).
FollowupID: 368267

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 12:41

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 12:41
All the more reason not to get your vehcile towed to the assesor yard straight after an accident.

Get it towed home, take all your goodies out and put the seats back in! ;-)

Then tell them to come and get it.

FollowupID: 368270

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:01

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:01
Hi Barry,

Just a querry. Did you have an agreed value or was it at market value (your insurance I mean)? We have ours set at agreed value with all options listed. One thing though that we did find out, but after having a claim adjusted to what they said was a set price, (we did fight this and win), is that they will only pay up to $1500.00 on any one item, unless stated individually and then nominate value worth. We haven't had vehicle stolen, but had GPS unit stolen. In the end all worked out but after much haggling and bringing in obudsaman. We have since changed our policy and still have agreed value as well as anything over $1500 listed individually with price. Just have to wait and see now. After reading everything here though I will be taking photos of everything we own and keeping with all receipts as well as have duplicates of all left with friends in case of anything happening.

And got vehicle back yet?

Darryl
AnswerID: 111995

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:18

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:18
Hi Daryl
No I didn't get vehicle back got a 100 series but also a bigger loan now ????
In answer to insurance question I had market value that was the first problem they tried to screw me on, offer $13000 policy for $20000 when queried answer car depreciates each month you have policy ?????
then came the issue over accessories some how they had mystically disappeared from there computor were not listed I had been asking for 6 months for them to be listed on my policy to no avail now I know why ????
In the end what one the case for me was that I happened to have photos of the vehicle with the accessories and lukily I had kept most reciepts by chance and respective manuals and also refusing to accept there numerous offers over the 3 months they did offer a once only offer take it or leave it,or don't get nothing,you can guess what my answer was ??
My best advice is to :-
make sure you read your policy thoughly
Have all accessories listed on your policy ( which is law )
Keep proof of all your purchases
Even service records in my case that went a long way to proove what sort of condition the vehicle was in with market value insurance they have to pay what the fair market value is on your vehicle even if it is less on your policy for example I had an independant registered accessor report done even though I couldn't present the vehicle based on all the info I could supply they valued it $7000 more than the policy
and that is what the insurance company had to pay by law.
At the end of it all I still got screwed on the true vaue of my vehicle but under the cirmstances I got a hell of a beeter deal in the end.
They prey on us poor Bums to buckle under there pressure just keeping fighting them and thats where I got great support from this forum.
Hope this Helps
Barry.
FollowupID: 368419

Sponsored Links