oil change

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 16:23
ThreadID: 23122 Views:1746 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all, just a quick question about oil changes. Before an oil change I have always run the engine to get the oil warm and allow it to flow out easy. A mate thought that he would try a oil change with the motor cold and having sat all night. The reason was that even though you put clean oil in as soon as you run it it is black due to the oil that is left in the motor. He did this and it drained just as well and when he put the new oil in it stayed clean well after the first start up. What do other people do and or think
draff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 16:33

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 16:33
If your oil's clean it's not doing it's job. (well in a diesel at least).
The way to test weather cold or hot is better would be to measure the amount of old oil that comes out, not what colour it turns and how soon.
The more oil that comes out when you drain it, obviously the better the effect of changing it is...

I do mine hot.
AnswerID: 111940

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 17:26

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 17:26
Jeff, don't mean to shanghi this post but how did you put them photos in the Bush C site?
FollowupID: 368303

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 20:27

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 20:27
Dont quite agree with you Jeff. As long as you are putting the appropriate oil in for your vehicle it should do the job. I think I told you once ages ago about the 2 utes we had underground both serviced at the some place (on site) one had the standard black oil but the other had oil as clear as a gas powered vehicle and I am not just talking after a service - always, and we had to check the oil daily (so clear it was hard to see under a caplamp). For me I do my oil changes hot for 2 reasons 1) oil flows easier and 2) particulates are dispersed through the oil. Take your point about the amount of oil, while I have never measured it I use the whole 10 litres to fill it and it is always overfull sometimes just other times by a bit more but it varys
FollowupID: 368337

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:39

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:39
Rod, you can select to put a link to an image when posting. You do have to host the pictures on your own website however.
FollowupID: 368363

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 18:20

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 18:20
Hot or cold not much difference, all the oil would of drained out of the top of the engine overnight. When you take the sump plug out the oil is coming out after it wether it is hot or not.

If it is cold and you don’t move your arm fast enough at least you wont get hot oil over you. When I drop the oil I let it drain for at least 10 minute’s.

In petrol motor (If it is clean internally) The oil should stay a golden colour for 5000k’s or more, in a diesel less
AnswerID: 111952

Reply By: floyd - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 18:43

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 18:43
Think about it guys

If you change it cold you will get the most out as it was hot when last run and on shut down it all ran to the sump hot anyway. All you are doing is draining it from the lowest point of the motor which means that you will get more out than if you changed it warm.

If you change it hot it may run out a little quicker however you will need do drain it for the equivalent of time overnight to get the same amount of oil out. You also risk burning yourself in the process.

Just park it overnight in the place that you will be doing the oilchange and you will get the most out after it has been sitting overnight. It has had over 8 hours to drain to the sump.

You will never get all of the oil out in an oilchange as parts of the oil channells go uphill, around corners and have points in the block that are shaped like hot tubs. just look at your oil after a day or 2 from an oilchange and you will see bits of blackness that had been diluted into the clean oil.

If the oil is dirty then it is doing its job by removing impurities. If you change the oil and it is clean then it is not circulating and picking up the impurities properly.
AnswerID: 111957

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:20

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:20
Hmmmm.....
You fellas seem to be missing the point here...
The reason for changing the oil hot, is that (presumably) all of the cr@p that's in there will be "in suspension", and will be removed with the hot oil....
In a cold engine, a lot of the impurities will have settled to the bottom of the sump pan, & will remain there, even though you may "think" that you've drained all the oil... This IMO, would be a contributing factor in sludge build-up in engines....

I always drain my oil "hot" (after a good long run), & leave the plug out overnight.. I'll even jack up the vehicle on the opposite side to where the drain plug is, to maximise the chance of getting all of the oil out... You'd be surprised how much extra oil comes out by doing this...
The new oil is most definitely not black as soon as I run the engine... In fact, it takes quite a while before I can even see where the h#ll it is on the dipstick!!!
(I know the level is correct, just have to get the "angle" right to see it)...
It will of course, be quite black by the time it's due to be changed....

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 111966

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:03

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:03
Ed you are taking it to the extreme, which is fine.

The oil filter should remove most of the impurities, if you have lumps of shi* coming out of the oil at each change you have problems. Any impurities if not removed by the filter should all just about come out when you pull the sump plug and 6+ Litres of oil come rushing out.

When I do mine I leave it running till the rocker covers get warm then let it sit for 5 drop the oil leave it to drain for at least 10 minute’s remove oil filter wait another 5 then replace plug and filter and refill.
FollowupID: 368344

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:57

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 21:57
G'day Exploder,
Not sure what you mean by "taking it to the extreme"...
If you're referring to the overnight oil drain, Well for me, it's simply a matter of convenience...
As I mentioned, I always drop my oil hot after a long run... i.e., as soon as I get home after I've "been somewhere"... simply slide the container under there, remove plug, & then go and do whatever else that I need to do.. slidin' a trolley jack under the LH front axle & jackin' it up a couple of inches to get that extra little bit out takes far less time to do than it's taken me to type this....
the rest of the oil change can wait 'till morning.. Like I said, it's convenient for me to do it this way, no rushin' to get it done, & no costly mistakes.. (touch wood;-))...
Oh, and no, there are no lumps of shi* coming out of the oil at each change;-)
My opinion re hot vs cold oil changes remains unchanged....

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 368354

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:20

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:20
Hi Ed

Yea the overnight oil drain was what I was referring to, but like you say you are in no rush, do it once do it right Not rushing always the best way
FollowupID: 368357

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:34

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:34
Yeah I let the motor warm up to running temp then dump the oil and losen the filter so it also drains. Then I do the rest of the service, grease it up, adjust whatever needs adjusting etc. Sometimes I might have the sump plug out for a whole day if there's heaps of work to be done, Sometimes only and hour or so...

Last thing is whack the plug back in and fill her up.
FollowupID: 368361

Sponsored Links