Stainless steel water tanks

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2314 Views:2032 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a '91 troopy fitted with a 38 litre stainless steel water tank. There's nothing wrong with the tank or water but I can't find information on any manufacturers' sites regarding maintenance of stainless steel water tanks. Does anyone have any advice?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Jan the whole idea of stainless is just that - stainless.
No maintenance - just flush it out now and then with fresh water if unused for a while - dont use detergents or cleaners.
The agitation from driving will keep it clean
No light so no algae grows.
kezza
AnswerID: 8285

Follow Up By: Jan - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Kezza. I thought that might be the case. The less things to worry about the better.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 3979

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Does no harm to flush them out with a weak solution of White King un-scented bleach if they have had un-treated water used in the tank.

I use a polyethylene black 64L caravan tank on my vehicle, and flush it out annually along with the rest of the vehicles fluids.
AnswerID: 8296

Follow Up By: Kezza - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

From experience Ill never put anything acidic or alkaline inside a metal tank, stainless or otherwise as any imperfections may react and oxidize, you will then have continuing problems with water quality and the tank.

Its just Ok for plastics -polypropylene or polyethylene, - if you can flush it out OK. best to use a sterilizing agent like in home brew kits in plastic(again not in metal)

I know its tempting cause its sooo easily made but nobody should be using PVC pipe for storing drinking water let alone using Oxidizing agents to clean PVC as it can release toxic chlorides.
(I spent some years in the plastics industry and know people who would not have and Poly vinyl chlorides(PVC) in their factories let alone store water in them)
go the distance in good health

kezza
FollowupID: 4002

Sponsored Links