no more overheating patrol

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:47
ThreadID: 23140 Views:2564 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all,
As I said about 3 weeks ago, had mtq do a stage 2 power up to solve a 4 year battle with my overheating patrol. I have since covered 6000 km towing 2 types of trailers, 1000 with 2 tonne c/van and 5000 with box trailer loaded to the hilt. The results are a resounding success ( albiet with ambient temps in mid 20's ), I was able to push the fully loaded 4.2t patrol and trailer as hard as i wanted for as long as i wanted with the VDO gauge only rising to 100c at worst but that still does not move the nissan gauge. GCM of car/trailer still went 4.5 tonne, and I was able to sit comfortably on speed limit and above where I was game. 3500 rpm and above for long periods of time would have previosly seen this vehicle cooking, but was able to do this for 45 minutes out on the HAY plains with no real rise in temp.
(that's about 130-140 kph) For testing purposes only. I do not endorse speeding ect ect.
The added bonus is that I truly have a very flexible tow vehicle, once I'm in 4th gear it rarely has to be changed down to 3rd for anything other than the largest of the ranges on the east coast. I am truly impressed and would suggest that if anyone is thinking of doing similar to their vehicle, to arrange with people who have had this done to have a run in theirs and you will be out the next day to proceed with the job. I think it has made that much of a difference.Cheers to all and I hope this helps anyone with similar problems
Regards Trevor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 23:14

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 23:14
Hi Trevor,
Interesting reading that.
Whats involved in the power up you had ? whats the cost involved and do you have any dyno figures available.
Im lucky, I dont have any temperature problems with my GQ but am interested to learn whats involved in the power up.
Cheers Angelo
AnswerID: 112011

Follow Up By: trendy - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:08

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:08
Hi Angelo,
The power up involed fitting a 3" mandrel bent exhaust and dump pipe at the back of the turbo, new internals to the original turbo housing (still looks original as far as mr nissan is concerned), change timing, and play with feul aneroid to deliver more power and torque earlier in the rev range. Cost for me was $2500 but I already had the exhaust, so add about an extra $700 if I remember right for the exhaust. Still money well spent for me as I tow about 50 - 75 thousand k's per year.
Dyno figures-- in 4th gear max power 86.6 kw at 132 kph ( curve follows an arc from 66kw at 90kph to max and back to 66kw at 150kph)
Torque is not a curve at all more a flat line between 85kph and 120kph about 2650/2700 tractive newtons. In driving terms overtaking is not a wait till long stretch and hope, it's just plant the foot and go even with the trailer or van. ( speeds over 80 don't even need down change to 3rd to get going )
I had a safari stage one power up fitted from new pre-delivery of the vehicle but had to go back to stock when all the overheating started and I can tell you it is quite a lot stronger at holding on to gears but I think the power is not that much more in the mtq setup. That said I would still not suggest a safari kit through lack of backup service or assistance when I had probs. From this safari kit I still have the intercooler so now I know there is no overheating I may be able to drop the intercooler back on to get even a little more fom the engine, but I'll do that about xmas time if I've had no drama's in between now and then. Hope this helps. Kind regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 368395

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:45

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:45
Thanks for that trevor.
I was just wondering what the power up involved.Very similar to my dyno reading actually.
From personal expierence though, I believe that overheating problems are caused by different circumstances for each car. When i first purchased the GQ i have now, I found it got hot when hitting 110 kms with trailer in tow. ( box trailer with bike on) My remidy to the problem was simple, minor checks and modifications. Things like the nissan badge on the grill had to go, amazing temp drop once that was taken off. Radiator was removed and cooling fins were straightened and bugs removed, also another great improvement. Most of the causes i had were simple things neglected through time by previous owner.
I now have a GQ turbo (denco) that can be pushed hard all day and not see the temp gauge hit anywhere near 3/4. In the past 10 months the gauge has not touched 1/2, where as when i drove it home when i bought it, she was over 3/4 when pushed. But i have followed many posts in here from owners with heating problems and many different avenues have been taken to fix it. End result is, if its running cooler, then somewhere along the line, the problem was found and fixed....thats all that matters.
Im glad yours is now working well for you. Sounds like she gets a hard life through work.
Thanks again mate, apreciate your time in replying.
Angelo
FollowupID: 368402

Follow Up By: trendy - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:55

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:55
Angelo,
You are dead right about the hard life bit, previous vehicle was a 100 cruiser diesel that had 3 gearbox rebuilds in 18 months through my inexperience with big loads, vehicle mechanicals and toyota's service dep't not knowing much about their own vehicle's weak points. As someones message says " experience is something you get 5 minutes after you need it".
Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 368410

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:18

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:18
Trevor,

Sounds like you're a happy bloke now. I am much more settled with mine now too since doing all the things I have recently spoken about. It still gets up to 105 degrees on the VDO gauge at times, but backing off to 95k/h sees the temp drop back to around 100.

If I can afford it in the future, an MTQ upgrade might be a good option.

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 112069

Follow Up By: trendy - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 14:19

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 14:19
Hi Roachie,
Thats the beauty of the VDO gauge it tells you when to back off before there is any movement from the nissan gauge, therefore defineately not causing any harm. 105c in my opinion would not be doing any harm so sounds like you are on top of your issues as well (which is great to hear). If you are up Brisbane way and wish to try before you buy, if your timing is right and I'm in town I could arrange a loaded run in mine to let you see the difference first hand. But anyway hope the temp prob's stay away for both of us.
Kind regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 368442

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 20:35

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 20:35
Thanks for the offer Trevor,

We're not likely to get to Brizzie anytime soon.....but we're going to Birdsville for the July get-together.

Cya m8

Roachie
FollowupID: 368486

Reply By: trolute - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 22:47

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 22:47
Hey guys,

Sounds good. I have an 04 GU ute, but am worried about my warranty being void. You can't tell me mr nissan isn't going to see the big exhaust and think 'upgrade, check the turbo'...????

Also, have any MTQ clients found their patrols chewing less fuel? I'd like more power, but even more, I'd like better economy.

thanks in advance

Andrew
AnswerID: 112148

Follow Up By: trendy - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 10:15

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 10:15
Trol,
Defineately agree that nissan may look into it re warranty and big exhaust, but the turbo housing is nissan original equipment so to look at is no different only if they open up the housing to see the different turbine inside would there be a problem ??
Regarding fuel, I am now using about 1/2 a litre per 100km more than I used to. Possibly that is a direct result of my new found enthusiasm for the right pedal ?? again not sure of this. Anyway regardless of all the drama's i've had I still think it is the best vehicle i've owned and would be surprised if you will need the warranty, they are that reliable. But you should do what suits your situation best. Good luck with your vehicle.
Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 368533

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:59

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:59
I am glad you have finally had some success Trevor.

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 112588

Sponsored Links