will my ifs hilux go most places coils will go

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 23:00
ThreadID: 23141 Views:5671 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
i have an 02 hilux ifs, am about to put a 2" body lift, bigger tyres and a detroit locker in the rear. Could anybody tell me if 285/75/16 (33") will fit under with 2" body lift. And if any problems with detroit in the rear. And how does this compare to a coil vehicle such as discovery or patrol with same modifications.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rust bucket - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 02:58

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 02:58
You'll need every bit of that body lift to get those tyres under there. When comparing your truck to vehicles like the ones you mentioned it's not so much about what springs they have but more about the fact that they have rigid front axels. So while you are waiving front wheels in the air they still have 4 wheels on the ground providing traction. The ifs hilux will never be as capable as a patrol with the same mods. But who's to say you need that kind of capability. The mods you're talking about will make your hilux capable of going places I'd be too scared to go. Just remember that apart from being illegal, those tyres are going to place extra strain on every component of your drive train and make braking more difficult.
AnswerID: 112020

Reply By: Earvin Johnson (NSW) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 07:14

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 07:14
Hey babs,

It depends on what type of tracks you are going to be driving - rocks, mud, sand etc. With ifs you just don't have the same articulation as solid axle vehicles, especially if driving on rocks, or deeply rutted tracks you will find that you lift a front wheel fairly easy and lose drive to the front wheels.

hHving said that the addition of the detroit in the rear will provide some assistance, but obviously the addition of a locker in the front would go some way to addressing the limitations of the front end.

AnswerID: 112025

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 08:35

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 08:35
g'Day babs'
Have never owned a hilux 4by myself but know of two people that had them. Both had lockers front and rear[one of them was actually an ARB dealer friend of mine] both broke front diffs in them and hence one has now bought a patrol the other a cruiser. It is relevant to my understanding of exactly how challenging terain you want to use them on.From what I have been told this is a problem with the irs model not live axle model maybe a mechanic could answer better as to why this occurs.

Troopytrek!!!!
AnswerID: 112035

Reply By: babs - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:02

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:02
thanks guys for the reply, you have made up my mind im loosing the hilux going to try for patrol 4.2d but there rare and i dont like the idea of the 3.0td. I have heard good things about the td5 discovery such as power and economy and price. I would probably prefer the xtra 2 cylenders. the type of driving im doing is steep mountain climbs, mud, light rocky trails and a little sand driving. Any feedback on these vehicles and type of driving will be appreciated.

Thanks All.

P.S owned a 4runner a few yrs ago didn't have long went through two front diffs in a matter of three weeks, thought it was just bad luck with it, obviously IFS trait.
AnswerID: 112038

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:01

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:01
Sorry babs

You only get 1 extra cylinder for the money. Both very competent vehicles and either will do an admirable job.

I've seen numerous Hiluxes in action and think you'd be disappointed if you're looking for similar performance to the Disco or Patrol.

Cheers
FollowupID: 368413

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 21:48

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 21:48
Babs,
I don't know what sort of cash you have floating about but if you want to have some fun get a cheap Rangie, lift it 50 mm keep it on standard tyre sizes, stick muddies on it, put an air locker in the back only, gives others a chance. I bought one three years ago it's been great fun and saved a truck loads of money repairing my Nissan patrol 3.0 TD had I damaged it, rear guards, mirrors etc etc. If you buy a Toyota you won't have that bit of extra cash to do something like this. It's worth considering you can pick up a half decent manual Rangie '86 (ish) for about $4500 if you look around. My opinions as usual.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 368502

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:09

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:09
G'day Babs
I have a 89 4runner 2.8D ifs with a 30mm suspension lift and a 50mm body lift, a lokka in the rear, D.T.system and 225/75-16 (29.3") and it was a very capable 4by.
You will find that you will be lifting front & rear wheels depending on terrain and load. I had no trouble going up the cape via the OLT and Chillie beach via the Pascoe river towing my CT.
Last year I put on 235/85-16 (31.8") tyres on and went to KaKadu, Roper Bar and the Gulf and the thing that I did'nt like was the gearing was a bit too high for low first crawling over rocks with the CT in tow.
Like what was said before it depends on where you want to go and more importantly how you drive it to get to where you want to go, too much wheel spinning and right foot can equal broken front diff and or cv's.
Safe travells

Jim-Bob.
AnswerID: 112040

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:43

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:43
While I don't have any experience with IFS I've always wondered - if you are going to fit a diff lock to one of these wouldn't it be best place at the front? After all it is far more likely to lift a front wheel than a rear one and most (don't know about the lux) have a LSD in the rear don't they?
AnswerID: 112072

Follow Up By: Hun - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 21:06

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 21:06
Hi

Putting an Air Locker into the front of a IFS can prove fatal to your CV joints....
FollowupID: 368494

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 07:04

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 07:04
Not doubting you - but why would that be so?
FollowupID: 368519

Sponsored Links