Schools and Cars

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2005 at 10:21
ThreadID: 23147 Views:1685 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
There has been much debate on this issue and safety turns on driver awareness.

Watching the tussle outside mu daughter's private school this am reminded me that it is obviously much worse at the private secondary school than it was at the local (State) primary school.

There is plenty of bullying by drivers, most of whom (because the school is a bit exclusive) drive Merc X5's, Lexus and Cruiserfourbies, Beamers and the like.
These drivers, 90% women, will not let students cross the road on a crossing! Nor will they permit other cars to pull out, even when they are parked behind and are pulling out themselves. It is not because the drivers are distracted by other kids in the car either, they are well dressed and are sallying forth for the day. Maybe they are too impatient (or too important) to give other people, including students, a break.

There seemed to be a correlation between the prevalence of more expensive vehicles and bullying, ignorant, 'Me-First' driver behaviour outside the school. My assumption is that people who are used to getting their way elsewhere in life carry that behaviour onto the road and to the school precinct. 'Me First' in business correlates with 'Me First' on the road.

It's sad stuff. In this case I reckon the only way is video cameras outside the school and shame the bullies. It is road rage.

Maybe the Deputy Coroner in the recent fatality had it half right when she identified driver bullying as a problem.

Not all tossers drive expensive cars. My point is that selfish, 'Me First' attitudes ccause many road accidents.

My 2c worth.
EV700
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, May 20, 2005 at 10:49

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 10:49
You're right ev700, driving an expensive car usually means you don't have to conform to the rules lesser mortals have to (or are supposed to) abide by.
It's also obvious that their cars aren't fitted with mirrors or indicators either although that doesn't just apply to them as you said.
The ignorance shown on the roads by motorists generally for anyone else is disgusting and that applies whether they're drivning a truck,car, bus or riding a motor bike or push bike (definitely a breed apart that lot, no sense of self preservation at all!).
As I've said before, a mate of mine who retired as a Senior Inspector copper reckoned not to take any notice of the bull about women drivers being safer than men, he said that they were the most dangerous outside schools as they werealways late and couldn't care less about other peoples kids and would run over them to get their own to school!
When mine were young they walked the couple of klms.to school, rain or shine the same as I and most others of my age did.
Of course, most of our parents didn't have cars at all let alone 2 in the driveway.
AnswerID: 112052

Follow Up By: ralph_s.a - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:32

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:32
carefull what you say here gents, i agree with your points. i brought up a something similar subject the other day.
FollowupID: 368431

Reply By: Trev88 - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 15:51

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 15:51
Hi all

the reason people who drive expensive cars dont give way and come over oblivious to other road users is because if I hit them it will cost me a weeks wage just to get things going. my weeks wage generaly adds up to the first half a day wages (generaly of their husband for a trophy wife or a growing number of powerfull women 3/4 of a days pay) so they can afford to hit my car and think nothing of it (my be even sue me for being there) Me on the other hand can not afford to be with out my car.

The best people I know who have money worked for it. The most arogant people i Know with money generaly got it from Mum & Dad, married in to it or stole it.

It is a me first society just line up with your kids and see how many prople push thier kids in front of not just you but your kids. I must confess it dont happen much to me people general back off when I start takling to my self (LOL)

that my 2cents worth (cause that all I got)

see ya's out there
trevor
AnswerID: 112096

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 16:02

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 16:02
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the comments made here, but just offering another persepective.

Alot of people who are "anti 4wd" belive that owners of 4wd's are "richer" than they are and that they are arrogant because of this. They belive that 4wd owners/drivers are arrogant, rich and dangerous.

This is a stereo type.

I don't belive the type of car you drive has anything to do with the level of selfishness or arrogance a person has on the road. In fact I would dare to say that it's got more to do with the side of bed you got out of that morning than the type of vehicle you drive.

Just my 2 cents (cos I can't afford any more either!!) ;-)
AnswerID: 112436

Sponsored Links