Cooling problems with 89 TD Pajero

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:02
ThreadID: 23150 Views:2094 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if someone could help me out here.

I have an 89 Pajero (imported) turbo diesel, with some cooling problems.

We took it to our mechanic, who diagnosed a faulty thermostat. This was replaced (with 2 hours labour....bit much, but anyway). Immediately following that, water started leaking from the water pump seal.

My wife took it back today, and was told we need a new water pump, and a new timing chain (at a cost of $900 just for parts).

Does this sound right?

Also, the car has 53000km's on the clock, which I am beginning to doubt. Can anyone advise a way of checking the approximate km's?

Cheers, Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: age - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:17

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:17
53000km for a 15 year old vehicle = 3500km per year - your doubts are seriously justified
AnswerID: 112068

Reply By: flappa - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:23

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 12:23
No , it doesn't sound right.

AFAIK , but happy to be corrected , the Pajeros have timing belts not chains (My NG V6 certainly does). The actual belts cost stuff all , fitting them is the expensive bit.

In all honesty , if you had said $900 for parts and labour , I would have said fair enough . . . for parts alone ? . . . I cant see it.

As for checking approx K's . . . no hope. A decent Diesel mechanic may be able to give some sort of indication , but no one will get near the actual K's driven.

Oh yeah , by the way . . . Being imported , Its not really the amount of K's that is the problem , its the number of hours on an engine (bit like tractors, industrial machines etc), they tend to sit a lot in traffic , rather then actually driving.
AnswerID: 112070

Follow Up By: Jason M P - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:05

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:05
HI flappa may be the V6 have a timing belt. I think the 4cly TD has a timing chain like the old sigma motors. To do the job right, the whole timing cover would have to come off And thats where the labour cost adds up.
cheers.
FollowupID: 368427

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:15

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:15
Oh yeah, not arguing the labour costs.

I had to get the Timing belt changed on mine . . . bugger of a job.

Just parts cost. Even given the Chain rather then belt , I cant see it being that much different. On the PJ's its normally the Labour thats the killer , parts costs aren't too bad.
FollowupID: 368429

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:59

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 13:59
That believe model TD has a timing belt - cetainly the early Australian 2.5 litre TD Tritons which I think have the same engine do - routine change is 100,000km - how would a mechanic know if the timing belt needed changing without inspecting it - he would need to remove the cover at the front of the engine - but to do that a whole lot of other stuff needs to come off - I think there is a bit of pulling on the chain so to speak from the mechanic - however having said that if the mileage and service history is dodgy then I would definintely be changing the timing belt - I assume a failure will most likely result in valve/pisron crash - big $$$. It is not technically difficult just a pain in the arse pulling every thing off to get at it.

I think this is separate to the cooling problem though - that vintage mitsubishi TD vehicles have marginal cooling systems - the radiator and volume of coolant is a bit light on and needs to be in top condition - I would be looking at replacing the pump if it is leaking and getting a standard coolant system clean, desacale, flush etc and then see what happens.

I would also be thinking about the timing belt and a routine manintenance issue

Cheers
AnswerID: 112079

Follow Up By: chris_legend_25 - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 15:11

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 15:11
Would it be a fair comment that the timing chain / belt had to come out to change the water pump?

Mabey he meant that we might as well change it while it is all apart.
FollowupID: 368448

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 15:51

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 15:51
I suspect that could be partly the case.

As mentioned , its a REAL PITA to do , so , while everything is part , and given that the history is uncertain , might as well change the damn thing while you are there.

Again , I suspect that the actual cost of the Belt/Chain , is relatively minor.
FollowupID: 368451

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 18:35

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 18:35
I wouldn't have thought it necessary to go anywhere near the timing belt to do the water pump. I would have thought the cost of a timing belt would be in the order of $100 - $200 even at the stealer's rates but there may be extra costs if the tensioners need work.

I just cannot see that if the engine is basically running OK (just gets a bit hot) how a timing belt diagnosis can be made without some dismantling - if it does have a timing chain - well noise is the usual indicator and a diagnosis could be made - well even if this is the case why didn't the mechanic pick this up when the car was first presented when the thermostat diagnosis was made - all sounds suss

I think a second opinion is in order!!
FollowupID: 368476

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 12:36

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 12:36
89 with 53000 km’s, unlikely but not unheard of, It this is in fact the true mileage then the lack of driving is your biggest enemy. For it to of only done that many
A. It has only been used for very short trip’s (To the shop and back)
B. It has spent a lot of time in traffic doing very short trips
Both A,B are bad as engines do not handle short trips well (No time for them to warm up) and idling in traffic requires more frequent servicing.
C. Has been in storage for the last 10 years, which if not done properly will case big problems as well.

Water pump.> If it has not been used much and the cooling system not maintained properly then the water pump could indeed have some problems (15 years on a water pump isn’t bad), to change the water pump the timing should not have to be touched.

Timing chain> Generally do not require changing unless there is a fault with them, you will no about it. When you start the car there will be a rattle in the engine, the performance of the engine may also change movement in the power band.

Timing belt> require changing every 100,000 km’s or every 5 to 10 years depending on manufacturer. So if it is still on the original belt it needs changing.

AnswerID: 112189

Sponsored Links