UHF aerial repair

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 11:34
ThreadID: 23173 Views:11858 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was transferring my UHF aerial from my old car to the new one, when the coax fell out of the aerial end of the lead. Is it easy enough to repair? Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 13:45

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 13:45
Probably need a bit more info, antenna, base details etc. some are just pushed in and all the good ones should be soldered.
AnswerID: 112195

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 14:37

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 14:37
They often look like they are a closed unit but on closer inspection you find where the factory reeled off some coax and fitted it into the antenna base. Usually something pops out or is screwed out to reveal the method by which its been done. Usually the inner signal wire is soldered to the antenna wire base inside, well clear of all surrounding casing. The braid is kept very well clear of the signal wire, as it is earthed into the casing (usually by virtue of screwing the coax into the base). As others may have mentioned, you must ensure that the braid and the inner wire are always well clear of each other - a short on transmit may be curtains ! Once done, you can check the circuits in your setup with a test light or meter. Dismantle away ! If it doesn't work out, at least your learning on the subject will have advanced somewhat !
AnswerID: 112198

Reply By: Coops (WA) - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 22:24

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 22:24
similar thing happened to me yesterday after some exhaust repairs.
Am watching this post with a keen eye
AnswerID: 112250

Reply By: trolute - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 09:01

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 09:01
Yo,

Last year, I had the coax come out of the base of my Pacific brand antenna, and I started to try and fix it, but in the end, decided that I would take it to a shop, and see what they said.

I went to a comms shop, here in Townsville, and they repaired it for me, for about $10. Given the thing is worth about $150, I thought that it was money well spent. If they quoted me too much more, I would have considered fixing it myself.

Andrew
AnswerID: 112274

Reply By: BenSpoon - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:17

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:17
What kind of mount is it? Does the coax terminate in a plug which screws into another coax lead on the aerial, or does the whole aerial screw down onto a plastic base with metal bolt poking up or what?
If it is the plastic base type, go out and get a whole new one. These things are cheap, corrode easily and a crap connection wont help the reception of your radio. Get a new one, strip the radio to aerial lead back to some fresh coax braid and crimp then solder it all up, coat it with silastic and make sure there is no short between the core and braid.
If it is the connector type, Id say go and buy a fresh one to solder up, or else melt and blow out any old solder from the old connector insides and terminate it all again. Strip the outer co-ax cover, pull back the braid so its covering the outer covering and have the inner core stripped back about 10mm. screw this into the back of the termination and drop some solder down the tip of the termination when it is snug and has no short between core and braid.

You can get new bases and terminations at electronics and marine stores
AnswerID: 112286

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:59

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:59
Thankyou for your replies.

I had a go at it yesterday and believe I have done it. Th inner cable was indeed soldered at the top so I just cut back th coax and re-soldered it back on. Th only problem I found was getting it hot enough without melting the inner plastic core of the coax. Anyway it is now done. Mind you i haven't tried it yet.

cheers and thanks
AnswerID: 112291

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 08:03

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 08:03
Make sure you take it to someone with a SWR meter and get it checked. If there's something wrong you could destroy your radio.

John.
FollowupID: 368903

Reply By: Niko - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 23:14

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 23:14
Often antenna repairs run the risk of shorting the inner conductor with the shielding or in some cases the diaelectric that separates them gets burnt and reduces the insulating effect thus affecting the radios output power. The price of the steel aerial portion on an antenna is $20. Just buy a new one and screw it on to your base and or spring.
AnswerID: 112709

Sponsored Links