Insecure loads

Submitted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 03:04
ThreadID: 23190 Views:2383 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Blissfully driving along The Victoria Highway (Northern Territory) this morning, enjoying the magnificent scenery the brilliant dry season weather and the pleased as punch feeling of the shiney new toy attached to the tow bar (Coromol offroader van). One of those toys thats been on the wish list for a long time, it's now a reality, it's yours, you've picked it up from the dealers yard and wandered towards home with as much delay as you can so you can sleep in it and play with all the gadgets.
A roadtrain approaches you from the opposite direction ( no big deal there is absolute @hit loads of em up here ). Just as you approach the pass of each other
you observe a car tyre thats been casually sitting in the third trailer deck for christ knows how many kilometres,the tyre decides to commit suicide by leaping off the tray and towards your vehicle. Nowhere to go, roadtrain to the right, run off drains to the left. The tyre doesn't bounce, (no rim or air), it rolls at very high speed along the road, delivers a glancing blow to the rear right hand side wheel of the troopy but still bent on destruction like a heat seaking missile takes on the corner of the shiney new toy. Mangles the wind down leg, spews up into the lower side of the van just where the water pump and wiring decided to live, beats the said items to death then attempts to unsettle the van by exiting under the right hand tandems and giving the whole thing a good shake up as it goes.
Yes, Mr Truckie continues on his merry way oblivious ( or in denial ) of the mayhem he had caused. Yes he has caused it because he's been too $%%$@#@#% lazy to remove or secure loose items around his rig.
Yes, it's all insured, the consequences could have been far worse, it could have gone through the windscreen, it could have been a small sedan, motor bike it struck etc etc, but at the end of the day still caused by some lazy rick not doing his job properly.
Apologies for the ramble but a story I felt better shared with fellow formites.

Cheers
Wal.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Qld - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 12:58

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 12:58
Felt like I was reading a novel there for a minute - entertaining read - when's the book coming out?
AnswerID: 112285

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 19:02

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 19:02
John

Should be on the shelves by xmas. Come to think of it I could fill a book of "@hit Happens". Boy- then there's the promo tour and signings gee thanks mate, the inspiration I needed.

Cheers
FollowupID: 368612

Reply By: hoyks - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 14:22

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 14:22
I had a similar experience years ago, but it was a 150 kg pig in a bid for freedom on its way to the Abattoir. It launched it’s self out of the truck on a corner as I was coming the other way. The only damage was a skid mark down the drivers’ door (the pig was a bit startled by the fall, judging by the amount of skid) and 4 flat spotted tyres.

The pigs’ short lived escape wasn’t in vain though. Due to the bruises and gravel rash, it was saved from a trip to the abs, well for a few weeks anyway.

At least I was in town, your incident could have been a lot worse.
AnswerID: 112294

Reply By: nickoff - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 15:03

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 15:03
Hi Wal,

Sorry, Hijack in progress. You said you have a new van. Did you trade in a Viscount Gazelle in on it? I was looking at one yesterday, and if it was yours, would you mind passing on any history on it. Thanks. Nick.

Hijack ended.

As to unsecured loads, remember what happen at the Edith River bridge about 2 years ago. Part of a trucks load fell off, car ran over it, blew tyres and ended up in the river, killing 2 or 3 kids.

AnswerID: 112302

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 16:20

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 16:20
G'day Nick,

As per chance I did trade a Viscount Gazelle.
Only used once in eleven years, never taken off road and stored in a climate controlled garage when not being washed and polished every Sunday morning.
Flick me an email at wasstewart@bigpond.com and I can give you all the real history.

Cheers
Wal.
FollowupID: 368595

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 16:53

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 16:53
goodday kk
knowing the vengeful mood the owner of said new van would be in if you were the truckie would you have stopped after watching it all happen in the mirror or maybe he was asleep and truck was on auto
you have my sincere sympathy we had a roo into a 6week old camper van a couple of yrs ago

steve
AnswerID: 112308

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:56

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:56
G'day Steve

It was probably a very good thing he didn't stop for all concerned as at that point. I was more than a little agro and not in a particularily forgiving mood.
Not quite as bad this morning, now the insurers' problem.
Just another avoidable Murphy Moment.

Cheers
Wal
FollowupID: 368611

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 20:05

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 20:05
KK,

Mate that is seriously unfortunate timing, you must have a 1000 "what ifs" going through your head!

What if you did this or didn't do that you would of been a split second different area and missed the tyre......amazing !

Browny
AnswerID: 112342

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 20:36

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 20:36
Sorry to hear about what happen, but have a look at some of the pdf. files on this site.
Load Restraint Guide

i had a read the other day at work makes you think

regards

Richard
AnswerID: 112351

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 22:45

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 22:45
This has been the subject of recent media coverage in WA with a truck driver in court accused of manslaughter because a roll of sheet metal (weighing 5 or 10 tonnes probably) fell off his truck onto the Landrover Discovery being driven by the wife of the Leader of the WA National Party killing her instantly. He was somehow acquitted which is probably more an indictment on the bias of the reportage rather than the facts of the case.
AnswerID: 112372

Reply By: slyonnet - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 15:40

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 15:40
Hi Kimberly Kruiser,

I had a similar problem last month where a big stick of wood came flying like a spear in my windscreen after lifting off the trailer of a car ahead of me. We were lucky it did not went through the windscreen cause it would have empaled my mum on the passenger seat. The bugger continued and I had to stop him. He denied it all until the driver of the car who was following me told him he saw it too. He then admitted that he did not even pack the trailer so the stick may have been in there, but when the insurance talked to him he tried to deny it again. Lucky I had the witness to corroborate my story.
I hope you have a witness too and the rego of the truck cause if he denies it you may have trouble getting the insurance to recover the money from him.
Good luck and glad to hear that there was no injuries.
Sly.
AnswerID: 112610

Sponsored Links