Fuel pickup problem

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2005 at 15:23
ThreadID: 23233 Views:1441 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have a 2002 Rodeo Turbo Diesel, 38000k, 63lt fuel tank.

Hopefully that's enough info about the vehicle, now here's the problem.

When the fuel tank gets low, like just before/as the low fuel light comes on, the vehicle coughs and splutters. This mainly occurs when stopping at an intersection. It does stall on occasions.

According to the instructions, when the light comes on I should have 8lts left in the tank. It is my view that there is heaps less than 8lts, stopping causes the fuel to surge and hence cough, cough.

Should I drain the tank and see exactly how much is left?????

Is this likely to cause a problem when I go to start it again????

Is there a problem with the fuel pickup?? (not on the bottom of the tank) or

Is this common with the model???????

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:18

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:18
G'day Trevor,

An easier way to see how much fuel is left in you tank is when the warning light comes on pull into a servo an fill up. You know that your tank holds 63 litres, so if you put in 55 litres you know that there is 8 litres left in your tank. Keep a record of each time you fill and how many litres you put in you'll soon get an average fuel consumption in km's per litre and you'll then know that when the light comes on you have on average 8 litres left (4 to be safe) and that you get on average 9 km's per litre. This gives you 72 km's before you run dry (which you don't want to do) or 36 km's to find you local servo.

I hope you get my drift. I have a spreadsheet that I use if you want I can email it to you?

I did read in archived forum post when doing a search on rodeos before buying my triton td, that the model after yours the RA they increased the number of litres before the warning light come to the other end of the extreme due to the number of complaints similar to yours. I know my triton on average the light comes on with about 15 litres left in the tank.
AnswerID: 112481

Follow Up By: Trevor - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 08:42

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 08:42
Johno,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd be happy to receive your spreadsheet.

T
FollowupID: 368766

Reply By: Anthony from Anglyn Promotions - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 23:38

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 23:38
Hi Trevor,

I have the same model Rodeo.

I often run until the fuel light comes on, which is usually around 650-660 kms and fill up on about 56-57 litres. I have done around 52000km and fuel consumption of around 9l/100km is constant.

What I do do, is every 5000km or so put in a bottle of injector cleaner. This seems to keep everything running smoothly.

I hope this helps.

Anthony
AnswerID: 112525

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:30

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:30
Hi Trevor

I had a similar problem with an old Commodore. It would start coughing just below a quarter on the gauge. It turned out to be a ding in the base of the fuel tank which interfered wit the fuel pickup.
Just a thought.

Mike
AnswerID: 112583

Sponsored Links