seeking advice on the s's - secondhand snorkels and shockies

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2005 at 18:07
ThreadID: 23243 Views:1861 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am in need of some help about making sure my reliable NJ Pajero will survive the trip from Alice to Perth via the popular GRR, Bungle Bungles and Karajini. It is really only the GRR and the trip to Mitchell Falls that I am worried about.

I am considering fitting a snorkel but am not sure if it is really necessary. I am on a bit of a budget – does anyone know about secondhand snorkels, if it is possible and/or wise to use them? (I've done a fair bit of dusty driving with her so far and some small water crossings.

Also the NJ is a bit bouncy so I’m thinking she might need new shocks (is this what bounce is maiinly related to?) Do I have to put new front and back ones on?

The only ones that are available in Alice are EFS, OME, Ironman and Enforcer. (She’s got leaf springs on the back). Budget is a bit of an issue as I’m about to be a full-time student with no income.

erekka

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 10:30

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 10:30
A bouncy car is generally worn out shocks. I had a set of OMEs on a 45 series troopy and they were rough as guts, but Im putting that down to it being an old commercial vehicle. I had a set of OMEs on a 2"lifted 80, and I havent come across anything that smooth since. You can have a mix between front and back- I'd recommend starting at the back and then doing the front. Ironman and enforcer... you shouldnt have to look far on this site to see they have had their share of dramas. Are you willing to chance it, possibly finding you made a bad call with 1000km of corrugations ahead? What is on there now? If not factory, you may be able to have them rebuilt.

Snorkel- 2nd hand should be fine. Make sure it isnt perished from UV- look for crazing on the plastic, heavy fading or brittle sections. Also check the obvious: leaks! A cheap home made job can be done by using WA salvage/bunnings PVC pipe, elbows, flexi convoluted tubing, hose clamps and some body filler to smooth off joint edges. Attack it with a can of your favourite colour paint, and add a snorkel ram mouth or precleaner (ebay) and it looks tops. If you go for a ram mouth, make sure it can swivel so you can turn it backwards in heavy mud or water sections.
AnswerID: 112568

Reply By: Member - Tim - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:46

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 12:46
Hi Erekka,

As far as a snorkel goes it would be interesting to see how the current air intake is routed. On the NL (1999) it comes from high up next to the radiator into the bottom of the right hand guard, from the top of the right hand guard into the bottom of the air filter, from the top of the air filter into the engine. Generally it is a very good system as there are two points where water will drop to the bottom and air can still flow. I believe that it is very adequate as long as you put a tarp across the front if the water is going to be over the point where it picks up at the top of the radiator. If you have to stop in the middle of deeper water than that you are going to be in trouble with the electrics anyway so it won't make any difference.

Therefore I have not put a snorkel on mine yet but what I don't know is if that system was in place in the earlier models.

Tim.
AnswerID: 112586

Reply By: erekka - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 17:28

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 17:28
thanks for you great advice. Yes I think I'll give Ironman and Enforcer and EFS (made by the same people as enforcer) a miss and go the OME.

I'll check around the wreckers and see if any of them has a Paj in at the moment...

I can't believe how much I've discovred and lernt on this website - it truly is amazing.

Now I just have to figure out a way making the ice last for a slong as possible in my esky - i can't afford a fridge yet.
cheers
erekka
AnswerID: 112621

Sponsored Links