fire fire fire

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:28
ThreadID: 23247 Views:1764 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Wot a day i get up go to work smoko time the handbrake rings work crying, the pajero caught fire in the engine bay. the handbrake swung into action and but the fire out and ripped the power lead off the battery. i get home to discover that the power lead to the starter motor was touching the muffler system ok can live with that. I rode down to the local misty dealer and asked for the lead that i need. Well this were it all goes wrong the misty bloke said yeah can get you one .I say how much. he said $280 well i wont type what i said and i left went to the local sparky showed he what i needed he said that he could make one in ten mins and he only charged me $35 .. I will be going to my local sparky for all my power problems from now on . now I have to go back down and get a starter motor 2morrow
cheers chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: G-wizz - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:32

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:32
The Good Woman saves you thousands of dollars and you call her "handbrake" then praise the local sparky instead of her!

hmmmm.
AnswerID: 112483

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:48

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:48
I'll bet she called him worse names when she eventually put out the fire etc. Now he's always going to be in the ......bad books :)))
FollowupID: 368732

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 08:12

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 08:12
Well.....lucky the ministed for war and finance didnt burn herself.... you'd be home now looking after her......if you havnt already, buy a new battery too...it wont last long after a dead short like that....you dont want another phone call do you!!!
Its always good to learn from our mistakes when we have cheated injury to everything but our pride....everyone out there listening....cable tie or brace up your positive leads as secure as possible, and away from exhausts and things that moove....this example is the minimum that could happen.....
(been there done that!)
Andrew
AnswerID: 112543

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 11:43

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 11:43
Good points there Dozer, I have often wondered about that as we spend a lot of time putting fuses and circut breakers on all of our toys in our vehicles but the BIG ASS wires that could acutally cause REAL damage are just direct connected to the batteries!!
The surf had factory dual batteries and the 4G cable that joins them runs straight from one battery, accross the top of the radiator all the way to the other side of the car and to the second battery with no fuses ect at all!
Might have to go and have a look at ways to ensure it doesn't happen to us!! ;-)
FollowupID: 368786

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 14:24

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 14:24
A little tip
I run all my main battery cables and the winch power feeds through garden hose, ( the reinforced nylon type ) it ischeap and easy to get.
You may need to cut the terminal off some of the leads but it is nogreat expense to get the local sparkie to crimp on a new one.
AnswerID: 112602

Sponsored Links