another 4wd story

Submitted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:49
ThreadID: 23265 Views:2530 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Here is one that the media has not reported, friends of ours in Kununurra rang us the other night to have a chat and we got onto the subject of 4wd bashing by the media and they told us an interesting story of a recent accident in the town involving a child and a 4wd, seems that the child was run over by the 4wd but survived and the only reason they survived was because of the clearance under the 4wd. The general consenus was that if the child had been run over by a 2wd family car they would have been killed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:51

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:51
Down here it would of made headlines. "Child manages to survive killer 4wd accident ".
AnswerID: 112636

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 08:01

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 08:01
media would'nt do that .....would they?
FollowupID: 368902

Reply By: Jason B - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:06

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:06
G'day,

The Ladies at work today were explaining how they were always late dropping off the kids at school and joking about their road rage. It's hard to put it into text and explian the lack of concern they had for other people's kids, but after listening to them (and adding my 5cents for the 4WD owners side) I don't think it has any bearing on weather they drive a 2WD or a 4WD, it's all attuited.

The only way the kids will be safe is to educate parents and kids. Keep all the vehicles and kids seperate. What's wrong with the parents getting out of their vehicle and walking to the kids to ensure the kids safety.

Regards,

Jason
AnswerID: 112639

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:13

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:13
walk ?????? what do you mean walk
some of these women have problems walking to there bmw,s

WALK
i was trying to do a left turn at the front of the school near home the other day bloody woman parked right on the corner and i mean right front of her car level with the curb and when i tooted she just turned and looked at me stupid b#$@$%^ next time it may need the bull bar and a bit of rr

steve
FollowupID: 368830

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:53

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:53
Yeah, I seen them rocking up late after leaving my kid in the classroom at 9.00am after talking to the teacher and the kid showing me her work and having a bit of fun with the other kids, same ones late all the time. Tell the moles to get out their fat arse outta bed a half hour earlier, treat the kids better and have some pride in themselves. I get to bed at 1.00am every morning but when it's my turn to drop the kid off we are 20 min early every time.
FollowupID: 368834

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:15

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:15
What is wrong with having several designated pickup points along a 400 m either side of the school? Oldest kids get picked up furtherest from the school, youngest ones from right outside the school. Get some residents nearby to offer their front yard as a "holding pen"
FollowupID: 368856

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:15

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:15
Martin

Did they say if the vehicle was travelling for/rev? Most reports/incidents have been about reversing where vision is less. Had it been a car the child may have been hit and then run over. This could be a story for the school project that I read about here tonight.
AnswerID: 112641

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:20

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 19:20
Wisey
Not sure on that one will try to find out and let you know
FollowupID: 368832

Reply By: Member - Bernard - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:53

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:53
Most of these mothers make you realise the benefits of Retrospective Contraception.
AnswerID: 112680

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:23

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:23
When life is difficult we tend to see things as black and white.

Most mothers find it difficult fitting everything in.

My feeling is a four wheel drive should be driven for a purpose and not in a hurry. Well I can't hurry in my diesel anyway.

With little time we look for someone to blame and what do we get. Easier to blame those big 4x4's than the stress most Mothers are under trying to live with a big mortgage and having to work as well as take care of the little angels.

They need help, not legislation.

Skinny
AnswerID: 112736

Reply By: Terrano Tripper (NSW) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 19:52

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 19:52
Outside our primary school is a 2min drop zone.

The idea is for parents to stop and let kids out or pick up waiting kids right at the front gate, but not to leave your vehicle, a teacher waits with them.

No crossing roads, no looking out for other cars. If everybody followed the rules it is a very safe pick up and drop off point, particularly for older primary school children.

But there are those they cannot follow the rules as with everything else in life.

They park in the designated area leave the car and go off to talk with other parents. Then when they decide to come back they do a u turn in front of the pedestrian crossing rather than wait for the lollypop lady to give the ok for cars to continue. Every time I see them my blood boils and I wish the cops were around. They are putting other kids lives at risk for their own ease of parking.

Well today the cops were there after numerous complaints from parents. And guess what the system worked beautifully. Amazing what the risk of a fine will do. Just wish it didn't take the risk of a fine to protect the kids.

I'll get off the soapbox now - happy tripping.
AnswerID: 112866

Sponsored Links