12V fridges

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2328 Views:3411 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
morning all,
I used to own a Trailblazer fridge which was brilliant, but I always wanted seperate frezzer and fridge compartments. Having sold the fridge and most of my camping gear to buy a house (no pain no gain !) I am now looking for a fridge again. My preference is for an Explorer because it's similar construction and seperate compartments. Anybody with comments on the Explorer and any other fridges recommended ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00
Waeco have a CF-80 and CF-110 with separate compartments for fridge and freezer.
I used to have a separate fridge and freezer, but don't anymore.
I get the meat cryovac packed which is good for 30 days at 5ºC.

For just SHE and me, a 50 litre is more than enough. We use UHT milk (actually Coles Farmland low fat we have found to be the best), and buy the dehydrated peas, beans, onions, carrots and any other goodies we can find at the supermarket, and now manage very well (live like kings)on the Waeco CF-50

I have 2 x 60 watt BP solar panels and deep cycle battery and have never had a battery low signal. I run my 12v TV and fluoro lights, computer gear and charge my NiMH batteries etc. etc. and don't bother to much with aliging the solar panels for optimum output.
AnswerID: 8345

Follow Up By: Doc - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Thank u for that, Waeco's are available here and I have good reports about them, shall check them out. Also thank u about the solar panels, I'm looking into them too in the future. I also go the battery route but use a little gen set that has proved to usefull to change over just yet.
FollowupID: 4023

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Forgot to mention, best price I have seen lately on BP Solar panels is the 60W from http://www.coiltek.com.au/Products/solar_panels.htm
$576 includes GST and freight.
I have two of these 60w panels and have more than enough power even in mid-winter.
AnswerID: 8347

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Can also get Kyocera 120 watt at reduced price ($990 ) presently from:

http://www.tasmanenergy.com.au/solar_panels.htm

Tuco in Cairns
FollowupID: 4024

Reply By: paul - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Hey doc

The Waeco series have c$#%p insulation. The motor however, is excellent, and the Explorer uses the same compressor motor, the BD 35F. The insulation on the Explorer, however, is extraordinary which means way less current draw to cycle the same temperature. I have a Waeco FF30 and an Explorer DC45, and probably will sell the Waeco cause i just don't use it anymore. As with you i wanted a freezer. The freezer compartment on the Waeco 50 model is the other way round, the small compartment is recommended as the "dairy" compartment if the larger compartment is used as a freezer. The Explorer, however, has a real dedicated freezer compartment even with internal lid (unlike the Waeco model), and with dual control knobs. That said the weakness with the Explorer is that the freezer knob overrides the fridge control which makes me wonder why they have two, in their defence the freezer actually freezes and keeps frozen things frozen without destroying the lettuce in the fridge compartment. It does not work with the same efficiency as a domestic fridge which blows freezing air into the freezer thereby with wind chill factor freezes ice blocks at a rate of about -35C and maintains a -18C temperature, the Explorer just keeps internal temperature at -18C, so it is not great at actually freezing things, at least not as quick as a domestic fridge, but will keep frozen things very frozen for a long as you battery lasts. Anyhow, i seriously love mine.
AnswerID: 8350

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
Paul the insulation on the first model Waeco was not what you would call good enough for hot Australian conditions. However, that is just not the case with the current models.
The Explorer looks like a great unit, but so are the prices. I suppose it depends on what your needs are, and how deep your pockets go.
Here is a link to them.
http://www.portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au/products/explorer2.htm
The evaKook are also a good unit, but with only 12 months warranty. but stick to the brands with 3 and 5 year warranty's.
This is a link for the CF50 Waeco, and would go contarary to your claims of them having poor insulation.
http://www.portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au/WAECO/cf50_features.htm
FollowupID: 4027

Reply By: Steve & Wendy - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Doc,

The solution to your problem is a Reefer fridge. They come in a large range of sizes and configurations. Fridges, freezers, fridge/freezer. They are available with the traditional top opening lid, or the smart front opener (Left to right, right to left or top to bottom - take your pick) so no fridge slide required. They use real refrigeration gear just like your fridge at home and they keep things cold when you need it most - ie when it's bloody hot outside (or in the car/trailer/van). They are completely programmable in relation to temperature and battery voltage cut-out, with a digital display showing fridge temperature and battery voltage. They also have a built in inverter "with a spare 240V power point" which can be used to run small applicances or charge batteries etc. They are supplied with both 12V and 240V power leads (no optional transformer purchase required).

You can find more info on them in the Business Search Engine here on ExplorOz, or I have a link at my site at http://www.users.bigpond.com/rcspatch/

Regards,
Steve.
AnswerID: 8375

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Everybody that I know that has had one of the Liemacks or now known as Reefer have complained bitterly about not being able to keep batteries up to them.

NO warranty information on their website whatsoever.
NO indpendent test/s or anything about power consumption.
NO informaiton on pricing.

At 12 volts using an invertor to run the compressor at 240vAC is not an efficient use of battery power to run a motor. The number of increased inefficiencies in the system is multiplied and even their claims of the Mitsubishi compressor being more efficient, go clean out the window.

Another problem with a unit like this, you will most definitely not get spares outside of the manufacturers premises.

This is their website.
http://www.refrigerationresearch.com.au/
FollowupID: 4048

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

doc
My cousin has the 90ltr Explorer and its a great fridge/freezer, I have a 70ltr Snapper very similar to the explorer but has a lick of paint. You'll pay around $2100 for the 90ltr Explorer and the snappers are a bit cheaper.
Most of the fraser Island tailor fishermen have these fridges sitting exposed in the back of thier utes so they must be good.
AnswerID: 8387

Follow Up By: Doc - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Ta. My 80L Trailblazer with all the bells and whistles cost $1600 about 5 yrs ago. The Explorer sounds more expensive than I had hoped but ya get that. It's still affordable though. I'm still waiting on a (email) reply from Explorer on pricing.
FollowupID: 4052

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

SNAPPER website:
http://www.workin4u.com/snapperfridge/
AnswerID: 8389

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
Well, I bought an evaKool ED50 fridge today.
After spending all this time looking at all the different brands and their pluses and minuses, I plonked by $$$ down for the evaKool.

The Waeco 5 year warranty was *very* tempting, but the more I looked at the evaKool cabinet, not only was it a far superior cabinet in insulation, but the build quality is supurb with great hinges and handles.

After all, after the 3 way, fridges, Engel and ex Liemack/now Reefer, they all use the Danfoss compressor, so really, while the Waeco warranty was tempting, the evaKool won out. Good thing about the evaKool the top also makes an excellent work surface, and they say can be used as a seat as well - must be really rugged.

The testing in 4WD Monthly done by ADI (Australian Defence Industries) and NATA (National Association of Testing Authorities) showed how good the quality of the evaKool cabinet is. This put the icing on the cake and that is why I bought the evaKool ED50
AnswerID: 8430

Follow Up By: Doc - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Can you please tell me which issue of 4WD Monthly was that. Sounds like it maybe a 'must read' for me.
FollowupID: 4084

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Doc the article was faxed to me. I have just looked at the pages, but it does not give you the month and year like magazines normally do on each page next to the page number.
Their website is not like the Overlander where you can look up the articles. Their website is just advertising blurb of what is in the magazines.
FollowupID: 4088

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
I think you will find the article was in either Sept. or October 2001
FollowupID: 4193

Sponsored Links