shellbourne bay ( white point)cape york

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:49
ThreadID: 23291 Views:3033 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Could any body please advise if there are tracks and camping at shellbourne bay as all the maps we have dont indicate any access here .
We are headingto cape york in june /july 2006 and are currently setting up our itinerary.
many thanks
wazzarrr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:31

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:31
This might be of some help.I went to Cape York in 1993 and camped a night at Shellburne bay.At that time you had to go through Shellburne Station where we were given a "mud map" after getting permission and paying a fee per car(can't remember how much).The track was definately 4w.d. with one particular bad crossing.when you get to the coast there is a small bay with a little sand beach but mainly mangrove and endless oysters at low tide.It is a nice spot to camp with clear fresh water trickling down the rockcliffs but be VERY AWARE OF CROCS.Idon't know if you can still get in there as Iheard that the owner of the station passedaway and there is no longer access through the station but you would have to check that out.-----good luck!
AnswerID: 112791

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 16:00

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 16:00
I had heard that old Dal Nixon's lease had expired and hadn't been renewed but I don't really know. Used to be able to contact him to get permission by writing to Dal Nixon PMB44 Cairns Mail Centre 4871 but as I said don't know if'n he's still on the property. Great character albeit a bit gruff - it is certainly an experience to meet him.
AnswerID: 112814

Reply By: desert - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:03

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:03
I was there last August, but could not get out to Shelbourne as I could not raise anybody at Nixon Hoestead. Didn't look like anybody had been there for a while. No wheel marks showing in the creek crossings etc. I was advised not to proceed without permission, else risk business end of a shot-gun! Lots of dead vehcles at Nixon and cows roaming around in the yard. Have a mud map of the track to Shelbourne, but without the owners permission, it's useless.
AnswerID: 113078

Sponsored Links