Biodiesel - How good is it?

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:50
ThreadID: 23325 Views:2985 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I got stuck under my windscreen wiper the other day a flyer for Biodiesel delivered in 210 litre drums for 90c p/litre. And it spurred me into action, i have always though i would look into this and now i am.

I live on a large property in the hills so i dont mind the 210 litre drums, and the tanks in the car hold 125 lt so there wont be much being stored any way.

I have a 2004 3.0lt GU patrol so i am certainly concerned about warranty, but what are others experiences and thoughts about biodiesel that i should consider?

As i go through about 70lt perweek and almost 25c saving per litre its worth considering.

Regards

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:17

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:17
Here is how you make it - apparently you can make it yourself for about 40c a litre and it runs better and cleaner than diesel. Never tried it myself but have read heaps of positive testimonials in Aust web forums.

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html

Gazz
AnswerID: 113018

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:18

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:18
There is a number of threads on Biodiesel on the Overlander Forum at present that may interest you.
AnswerID: 113019

Reply By: guzzi - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:26

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:26
$15.00 per week x 52 = $780 a year.
All well and good, but what is the quality of the fuel these guys are selling?
Sounds a bit like a backyard operator who sees an opertunity.
Im not saying Biodiesel is a bad thing, Ive looked into makeing it myself,and it has many good qualities.
But depending on the base oil, new/used and the ability of the maker quality can be a bit variable, also it does have a few "quirks" in it does have isopropyl alcohol in it, and some seals in the fuel system ie non viton wont like it at all.
Also most of what Ive read have involved the "older" not electronic diesels not the high pressure electronically controlled ones.
Pump rebuild= $$?? Will these guys cover your repairs if its their fuel that causes problems?
Contact nissan regarding warrenty, then post the reply here Im sure quite a few people are thinking along the same lines as you.
Do a search on Bio dieswl there is a wealth of good info (and some not so good) on the web
Goodluck
AnswerID: 113022

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:35

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:35
I'd be interested in these guys details if you can member message them to me. I've been looking for a supplier of Biodiesel in WA and haven't been able to find one. Perhaps a visit to their property/plant to inspect how it is made before putting it into our engines wouldn't be a bad move.

Sure like others have said you can bleep fart around and by all the equipment and produce it for 40c per litre but I don't have the time or patiance. I reckon I'd use it even if it were same price as it's much better for th environment!

My question is can you run a tank of biodiesel, and half way through the tank fill up with regular diesel? I've only got a 65L tank so it would be a right pain in the but if I couldn't mix the two fuels....
AnswerID: 113023

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:42

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:42
Yes you can.

As I recall , biodiesel can have a different gel point (snow fuel etc) , depending on what oil has been used . . canola oil , vege oil etc.

To overcome that , a lot of folks blend it with normal diesel
FollowupID: 369184

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:43

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:43
Most biodiesel I have heard about has the following drawbacks.
It doesnt like really cold mornings...mix some fossil diesel with it and its Ok I'm told.
It really cleans out your fuel system. This means you will be changing fuel filters for a while.
Voids warrenty. Not sure here, but I'd imagine so.
There's some question as to the long term effects on fuel system. I haven't heard much on this.
There's a small decrease in mpg.
Yes it can be made cheaply, even though the GOVT has slapped a TAX on one of its ingrediants.
If anyone can tell me the above points are invalid, that would make me happy. I'd love to use the stuff.
FollowupID: 369186

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:17

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:17
Well I'm keen to give it a go, but I'm terrified of it screwing up my motor/fuel system... Spose it can't be that bad..... I spoke to the guy, seems like a resonable type and brews it up not that far from my place... I'll talk to the missus tonight and see what she reckons, might just have to give it a go I think....
FollowupID: 369200

Follow Up By: troy - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:20

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:20
I am running bio diesel and i am doing a 25% diesel and 75% bio mix. needed to change the fuel filter after about 6 tanks as it was clogged - have to sort out further filtration or whether it is a reaction with the mix.
Troy
FollowupID: 369201

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:44

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:44
Troy what vehicle/engine are you running it on/in?

It looks the goods, I spoke to the missus and we are almost ready to order a drum and give it a wirl.
FollowupID: 369203

Follow Up By: troy - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:29

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:29
Hi Jeff,
I have a 95 hilux - 2.8 nat asp diesel. I am getting it for 50 cents/ litre.

Fuel economy is roughly the same i did notice better low down accelaration and slightly less top end.
I am changing the fuel filter every 5000 - 10000 and am about to goto am after market set up (cav system i think its called) about $100 for the 'system' and $6 for the filter.
I am doing an oil change on Monday so i should be able to see how the engine oil looks with the decreased carbon in the fuel.
I am also adding "the fuel Dr' to each tank to combat wax and other impurities.
A mate and myself are going to set up a finer filtration system to filter the fuel prior to instilling in the tank. Ideally it would be good to have a dual tank set up. One to the bio and one for diesel.
I to was dubious as the fuel savings dont cover a fuel pump replacement for about 2 years but so far so good.
Emissions smell nicer too
Hope this helps
Troy
FollowupID: 369235

Follow Up By: erekka - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 14:27

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 14:27
Hi Jeff,
Let us know how you go running the biodiesel and what (and where) the supplier in WA is like. I'll be heading back there soon to live and have been thinking about a changeover from diesel, but another factor is how many rubber parts I'd have to change over in the NJ Paj.
Cheers
FollowupID: 369558

Reply By: NedKelly - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:26

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:26
The problems I see with it are that the quality can vary considerably and also that there has been no testing to see if standard engine parts are compatible with it. ie. what the life of a fuel filter when run with boidiesel? no one knows. Too much of a lottery for my liking at the moment but I do think, like anything, it will improve with development in the coming years...especially with the way the price of diesel is at present.
AnswerID: 113055

Reply By: F4Phantom - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:52

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:52
If i could get diesel like that i would for sure. In germany there are over 1500 BD outlets, in france all diesel is B20 and one of the new WV models preferred fuel is BD.
AnswerID: 113076

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:58

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:58
Here is the link to the Biodiesel threads on Overlander:

Maitland Biodiesel

Biodiesel

I have used it for a while. For a 6 month period in 2000 until the supply ran out when the plant burnt down and now for a week.
I drive a Nissan Terrano II and have had no problems with pumps or fuel system components, the power is about the same and I think the motor runs ever so slightly cooler.
If you do a search on Biodiesel and sites located in Australia you will find that since 2003 (from memory) commercial Biodiesel producers have to produce their product to a federal standard
Biodiesel
The Nissan Primera diesel is sold and approved for 100% biodiesel in Germany so if Nissan Aus won’t accept it they are just being ……….

You will find that initially that you go through a few filters as the Biodiesel will clean out the fuel system and the gunk ends up in the filter. After a few tanks you should be able to resume the normal filter change interval.

The Ethanol thing is mostly for home made fuel. It is recommended that the fuel be “washed” which entails adding water and an air stone to the vat of fuel and letting the water separate out contaminates. There will be no water in the finished product, so that isn’t a worry.

Give it a go. I am saving $0.25/L , the car runs fine, smells better, I get a warm fuzzy feeling about using a renewable fuel and I can tell those that call my vehicle a gas guzzler to ’stick it’ as my fuel is renewable, unlike theirs
AnswerID: 113077

Reply By: Niko - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 04:03

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 04:03
Imagine if BD was first used way back when engines were created and today someone suggested a black gooey substance in the ground made from dead flora and fawna some several millions years ago will run in your engine? No way just give me my Canola oil!!!
AnswerID: 113130

Reply By: Niko - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 04:52

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 04:52
Found this on the NRMA site

http://www.mynrma.com.au/releases2002_020826_1.asp
AnswerID: 113131

Reply By: Coops (Kalgoorlie) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 15:05

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 15:05
2 outlets opening in WA soon as well as a refinery (for want of a better word). BD Company just went public I believe so it will be happening sooner rather than later
AnswerID: 113184

Reply By: angler - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 21:26

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 21:26
There was a good story a while back, I have just put it on my web site for all to see.

link text
AnswerID: 113260

Sponsored Links