END OF AN ERA_HIGH COUNTRY GRAZING

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:22
ThreadID: 23328 Views:2150 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Our Labour goverment has just ended 170 years of history in the high country by refusing to grant renewed grazing licences.
Of course the arm chair greenies are overjoyed,so will be the Cedar or treated pine post suppliers as the goverment is to provide greater visitor facilities.
The next step will be reducing vehicular access and providing designated camping areas only.
Mean while the mis management continues as in the past,Blackberries strangle the creeks and Wildfires destroy what is left.
The only advantage is the public will not be able to see it if its locked away.
It is imperative now that 4wdrivers join a club and support our representatives in a united front to fight against the next inevitable stage.
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:40

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:40
Please let it be publicly known ... that I had nothing whatsoever to do with with putting this spineless rabble in charge of our State.

To those of you that did .... you got your right whack!!
AnswerID: 113030

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:48

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:48
f2000,

Also on 3aw today Neil Mitchell was onto the photo's that are being used as propaganda by the gov't to 'sell' there argument.

Seems that there are two shots, one of a dreary looking bog hole with a couple of cows standing in it, and the other of a beautiful lush green mountainous region with a family enjoying the view, the only problem is that the photo of the family and beautiful view is apparently of one of the ski resorts (Hotham I think) during summer but with all the chair lifts etc "air brushed" out of the shot.

Fairdinkum misreprasentation of the issue.

$250'000 of tax payer scam

I remeber on my last trip (or maybe the one before) to the high country we came across 6 or 8 Cows on a track and had to crawl past'em as they lined either side of the road, the look of sheer exitement on my little blokes face (2 1/2) as the cattle peered in the window only inches from him was a magnificent moment.

Browny
AnswerID: 113032

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 09:06

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 09:06
Hey Brownie

We had a similar experience in the high country, we came around a corner and there were about 100 head of cattle being moved, had a great chat to the cattlemen and women, let then know they had left one behind about 200m and then they let us slow creep throught the herd. I had visistors from Qld down and they are still talking about that part of the trip....
FollowupID: 369286

Reply By: DARREN - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:50

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 16:50
Calm down big fella, Agree with the blackberries comment and the likely next stage but you emotive arguments are lacking substance.

Hoofed animals do untold damage to the native flora that we drive there to see. Seen any wildflowers or native orchids in the local cow paddock lately??

If they don't burn the bush to reduce fuel it doesn't regerate very well and when fires do start they are overly destructive. If they do undertake ecological burns in the bush to reduce fuel and initiate regeration like it has been done for 20,000 years or so, people whinge about it.

Regards,

Darren

AnswerID: 113033

Reply By: floyd - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 18:22

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 18:22
I am glad that they will be banned. The farmers around Merrijig that use Stirling, and the Alpine National Park north of Mt Buller are a problem. My parents were almost killed a few years ago when they were travelling at night between Merrijig and Mt Buller. They rounded a bend and hit a fully grown cow head on on the road at 100. The car was totalled and they sustained serious injury. The beast was one that was being moved between a farm and Alpine Grazing in a heard. The farmer had left it on the road because he failed to count his cows before moving them along.

I have almost hit stray cows on the same stretch of road on several occasions.

The second problem is with the local townships water supply in Merrijig, Alpine Ridge and Sawmill Settlement. The cows $hit into it above the pick up points resulting in a heap of chemical use to reduce e-coli. Which is science talk for $hit. Our water supply smells like chlorinated swimming pool water. This is so as we do not get sick. Water Authorities tell us that when the Alpine Grazing is gone so will the chemicals as the water is the purest spring water in th estate.

Good riddence to the cows. Good on you Bracksy
AnswerID: 113049

Follow Up By: Wetty (W.A) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:17

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:17
Well I spose that leaves more for the goats and deer to eat, and more area for them to roam with their cloven toes and $h!t everywhere. Having lived in Vic for most of my life and spending most of my spare time in the high country where grazing was done, I had hardly ever seen a cow and the ones I did buggered off into the bush! As for hitting cows at 100 kp/h, if you know the area is prone to cattle being on the road, SLOW DOWN!
Sorry if that offended Floyd, but it is truly a sad day for the hills and the cattlemen.
FollowupID: 369220

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:45

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:45
So you obviously think that .... kangaroos, wallabies, possums, wombats, emus etc etc etc don't $hit.
FollowupID: 369250

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:27

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:27
Thats's what the water authorities think, probably under advice from that Bracksy bloke. The same fellow wanted to set up legal drug shoot up dens in Victoria. He sounds real smart. Thank God the economy is booming because if it wasn't Vic would be back to near bankrupt status by now.
FollowupID: 369261

Reply By: Scubaroo - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 18:57

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 18:57
deja vu... see post 23268
AnswerID: 113053

Reply By: ian - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:38

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:38
People,
Such emotion!
How about a few facts?
It is not all the high country we are talking about, it is the national park, the rest is unchanged. I actually have no time at all for the folk who manage our national parks, and blackberries really get up my goat, but, a national park is just that, and it is no place for cattle.
If you think cows are so romantic you can see them anywhere else. I really struggle with this cowboy stuff. I would rather see the native animals, and eat the cows.
Ian
AnswerID: 113069

Sponsored Links