troopy or defender

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:41
ThreadID: 23331 Views:2595 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
can some one help me with some info about troopys and defenders. which one has better fuel economy, best for towing and reliability. My work takes me into the bush quite often and I carry quite alot of gear and often have to tow in excess of a ton off road, so I will need a tough truck that wont cost me a fortune to run.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: theshadows - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:48

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:48
Before all the sillyness about landrovers get out. Up front here and now get a troopy. the land crusiers have a bigger non turbo motor that dosnt stress out and the box and diffs are very reialble. Toyota you can get parts for anywhere and though dear you dont have to wait for them to be shipped in from england.
the aother thing is unless you are under 5 foot 6 you wont like the crowed cab of the defender.

shadow
AnswerID: 113042

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:58

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:58
Troopy for the reasons Shadow man above said.

Although Toyota are having issues with drive lines, In my case front diff.
The turbo diesel is a brilliant engine and thats coming from someone (Me) who had two petrol Troopy's before this one.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 113044

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:59
some idiot just ran into me on a dirt road in the Barrington Tops. My Cruiser has damage to all four side panels/doors. I now have to wait four weeks for a pillar to come from Japan.
AnswerID: 113045

Reply By: crusher - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:39

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:39
Hi
I believe the troopy now all use the. stronger gear box than the natualy asperated 1hz fromm 1999 to 2004. the front diff is not the one used in the 100 series constant 4 wheel drive. and troopys are part time 4x4 also. The new commom rail direct injection turbo engins are fantastic. The mining industry will back up the strength of the new troopys.
No contest
Crusher
AnswerID: 113092

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 02:04

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 02:04
"the front diff is not the one used in the 100 series constant 4 wheel drive"

Crusher not sure if your quite right about that, 78, 79 and 105 series are the same and all break.
The 100 series IFS also break so I would assume that yota would be utilising same parts through the range.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369278

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 02:14

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 02:14
Never seen a front diff break that was a myth put out coz people assumed that because they were smaller they were too weak. I have driven / been driven in quite a few of the utes underground and supposedly they are weak especially in reverse well this is obviosly not true as these vehicles spend more of there time in low 4 in a week than most people would rack up in their life and do more reversing (hard foot flat 4500rpm ) both up and down declines in a day than most would clock up in a year I am not saying that the next to go would be the first but i have seen 1st hand the punishment they can take and they are not the weak link that is claimed
FollowupID: 369279

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 02:39

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 02:39
Davoe mine just stripped 5 teeth.
Had a 100 series Limited Edition "Kakadu" (3 months old) do his on the same track, same trip, thats two at the same time on a track that I would regard as not all that difficult.
I have lockers he didn't.

I placed a post on the Landcrusier Club Forum and quite a number of members have responded with the same issues right through the model range I listed.

Member Eric had a few hassles getting me a new crown and pinion due to a bit of shortage in Aus due to the high number of rebuilds occurring.

I am not talking about the 75 series, they don't seem to have any issues with this, its all recent model stuff.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369280

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:05

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:05
Rather than become embroiled in all the unsubstantiated ravings you'll get from the Tojo crowd, I'll actually try to answer your questions.

Defender
Consumption 11.3l/100 km
Towing 3500kg with 350 kg ball weight
Carries 1000 kg

I have no idea how a troopy compares with these facts, you may be lucky enough for someone to actually give you some honest figures.

Off road performance and interior .. no contest with the base model troopy with leaf springs etc. You'll need to spend an extra 10K for the model with diff lockers and non-vinyl interior etc to come close.

Reliability .. another tojo furphy foisted upon you by the masses.

I hope someone will actually give you some facts on the tojo, rather than a heap of biased drivel, but somehow I doubt it.

The Defender is not without it's shortcomings, by a country mile. I'd be the first to agree there. They're certainly not for everyone, but it shouldn't be needlessly lumped in with an underperforming over rated heap like a troopy.

Cheers

AnswerID: 113099

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:12

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:12
who cares I have never had one fail to carry as much as I could possibly put in it. Off road - used to use them for genuine offroading not just the trackwork you are talking of but straight bush bashing through trees over stumps logs etc etc in dense bush for up to a week on end with not even the crapiest track sighted. If you reckon tojos are overrated and underperforming how about you put your defender underground for a week or into an open pit to be filled with 2 tonne of samples and flogged from one end of the superpit to the other a couple or 3 times or perhaps lend it to an exploration company so they can put a tonne of gear in the back then drive it from one end of the Dundas Nature reserve to the other in a straight line and see what condition it is in by the time a tojo comes in for the recovery. Or if you want to get a second opinion you could ask the guy from ramp it towing who does the kalgoorlie bassed remote recovery (nullabor etc) what new vehicle ends up on his trayback above all else
FollowupID: 369256

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 01:57

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 01:57
Troopy
Consumption Turbo Diesel 11.5 to 13 L/100 km (Personal figures)

Towing 3500kg with 350kg ball weight.

Load Capacity
Depending on model
3 seater 1125 kg
11 seater 1073 kg
RV 5 seater 988 kg

Base model Troopy like all current 78 & 79 series vehicles come with coils on the front, Not leafs.

Having driven both, your right no comparison, thats why I drive a Troopy.
The Discovery I tried was simply the worst vehicle that I had ever sat behind the wheel of, I'm 6' 6" tall and could not sit in it with my legs inside the car, I had to squeeze them in the door, Just shocking all poms must be 2ft 10" tall to fit. The Defender was not much better, both handled like crap.

As to reliability, well I have had no first hand experience other than what I see written on here except for the comments by Daniel the mechanic at Birdsville Auto said to me during a conversation in the Birdsville Pub.
"The No 1 vehicle that he gets called out to repair or recover in the Simpson was Landrovers, and in particular the Discovery."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369277

Reply By: Pterosaur - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:37

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:37
G'day,

78 series troopies have coil front suspensions.

I have 2003 Troopy camper - get 12 -13 L /100km., might be able to do better than this, as the camper fitout is quite heavy.

I've had a bit of experience with the earlier defenders (2.5 L turbo diesel), and would recommend the troopy (4.2 L) for grunt and reliability, as well as a generally better finish. Parts availability is important, and I suspect better for Toyota, but that's only an opinion, as I've never had to get LR parts.

cheers
Terry
AnswerID: 113109

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 14:39

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 14:39
haven't read all the comments as way too long. Don't go near the defender. Had them in the Army (did 11 yrs). Always in getting repaired. OK when it's the tax payers money but different story when it's your wallet!
AnswerID: 113181

Reply By: MT - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:39

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:39
When I saw the question I suspected that the inevitable Toyo vs LR rant would occur - I wasn't disappointed. I think the best thing to do is talk to as many folks as you can who actually own one (or either of the one's you are thinking about) and talk to dealers about the actual specs of the models you are looking at. Test drive, think about what feels rigt - then go for it !

If you like it - and it does the job for you - and it is within you budget- what does it matter what anyone else thinks about the brand of car you get?

A few observations: 1. A lot a 'expert' landrover opinion is offerred by folks who have never even sat in one, let alone owned one and operated it out bush.
By all means ask, but check out the cred of the person advising you.

2. The Army LR 110 has different spec to the Defender you buy in the street.The other problem they have is some of the people we get to drive them (21 years in the Army, so I am aware of hwo they are treated).

Bottom line I thonk is take your time and try out all the options - and enjoy the process.

cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 113197

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:58

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:58
Seating position in defenders sucks to start with.

but then again, look at the build quality of the 2, that should answer it within 10 seconds.
AnswerID: 113199

Sponsored Links