fridge-freezers

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2335 Views:3582 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Can I please have good and bad feed back about 12v-24v & gas fridge freezers.I just do not know what brand to buy. I have around $1500-$1800 to spend and want about 80litre capacity fridge-freezer.It will be used a lot in hot conditions.
THANK YOU
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
Depends on how and where you are going to use the fridge.
How are you going to re-charge the battery?
Will you be driving every couple of days to keep the second battery charged?
If you are going to stay parked at one place for 5 or more days gas is great. I previously had a Chescold freezer and even in the hottest conditions never had an issue with it.
Do you really need an 80litre fridge?
How many people are going to need to eat out of this fridge?
AnswerID: 8355

Follow Up By: Wellby - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

The fridge that I am really looking at seriously buying is a waeco with the extra battery pac.
The fridge will be in a aluminium box in front of our 4wd camper trailer.
I live in a very remote area of Australia and its about 9 hour drive to the closest shop.I only get out to do the shopping every 3 months so I would like to have icecream frozen when I get home for a change.Dry ice can be hard to get sometimes.
We would like the fridge to be used to bring the shopping home and to be used for serious isolated camping.
The fridge will have to handle rough dirt roads.Going to town is half dirt.
FollowupID: 4030

The fridge that I am really looking at seriously buying is a waeco with the extra battery pac.
The fridge will be in a aluminium box in front of our 4wd camper trailer.
I live in a very remote area of Australia and its about a 9 hour drive to the closest shop.I only get out to do the shopping every 3 months so I would like to have icecream frozen when I get home for a change.Dry ice can be hard to get sometimes.
We would like the fridge to be used to bring the shopping home and to be used for serious isolated camping.
The fridge will have to handle rough dirt roads.Going to town is half dirt.
What do you think????????
FollowupID: 4031

Reply By: SteveA - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Have a look at these fridge/freezer, you have seperate comparments for fridge and freezer, the 78 litre is roughly $2000.00
http://www.explorerfridgefreezer.aunz.com/index.html
AnswerID: 8357

SteveA
Thanks for the help.
I looked at the site & I dont know anything about the brand so I have asked them to send me more info.
FollowupID: 4032

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

While it will cost you a few dollar more, 2 x 50litre units are overall going to give you better value for money, and be more useful.

For example, you could use one as a fridge and the other as a freezer for your trip home, and when you just want to go camping out, the smaller 50 litre unit would be far more convenient. When camping the power consumption of a 50litre unit would be less than an 80 litre unit.
If one unit failed, you still have the other unit.
I like the Waeco units as well. The large majority of the people that I go bush with have Waeco units. Many who had Engels that failed now have bought Waeco units. I have not heard of anyone with a Waeco unit failing. The Waeco 5 year warranty is hard to beat!
I found this link which is interesting.
http://www.portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au/WAECO/cf50_features.htm
AnswerID: 8359

Thank You for the very quick responses. It looks like WAECO is the way to go.
FollowupID: 4033

Follow Up By: Stevea - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

One really good reason I didn't go that way(waeco/engel) is because the dealer said to me that we have heaps of spare parts for these fridges. Sorry that turned me off straight away. The unit should be tough enough to go rock hopping or just up the beach,just my thoughts anyway.
Steve
FollowupID: 4035

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

SteveA the brand you bought still has a Danfoss compressor. It does not matter if it is an Explorer, Waeco, evaKool, Bushman etc. they all use the same Danfoss compressor.
So the dealer who told you they have heaps of spares for Waeco and Engel, the Waeco spares would cover your Explorer as well, as it is Danfoss equipped.
FollowupID: 4038

Reply By: dave - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

In terms of waeco reliability, I know 4 people who bought waeco, 3 had problems, 2 of these got them fixed without hassle and the fourth has never gotten satisfaction. Point to note, all three of the ones that failed did so within the first few weeks of purchase.

I know 6 or 7 people with engels and none of these have ever failed.

I have a small engel and an larger Chescold 3way. neither of which have given me any grief.
AnswerID: 8365

Out of all the fridges I have owned personally, Engel has been the biggest disaster. I have motors go in three units, and they want $600+ dollars for a new compressor and installation. It is absolute extortion. At least with a Danfoss unit, the reliability factor is there, and you know what they are going to cost to repair. The volume of Danfoss compressors out there far exceeds Engel.
FollowupID: 4036

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Everybody you ask will have something good and bad to say about fridges. Here's mine; Have owned a chescold and a finch - they can't handle ambient temps above 35C. Engels are reliable but costly.Their only critisim would be the flimsy cabinet, dents easily, needs the outer bag for protection. Had a Liemack and could not keep batteries up to it. Draws about 7.5 amps. Have settled on a 50 litre Bushboy. The maker is a 4wd driver himself and if you phone for a query, you are talking to the man who actually made the fridge. He will tailoer make a fridge to your dimensions - any size. Uses same Danfoss swing motors etc that others use. Has a unique high/low speed setting for reduced battery drain, low voltage cutout etc,etc. He works from his small home/factory at Heidelberg in Victoria. Phone 0394598913.Very helpful and knowledgable fridge mechanic. No complaints with this unit and it has done some very hot, rough cross country expeditions now.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 8367

Desert all Danfoss equipped units can have a High/Low switch. This is built into the Danfoss control board. However, many manufacturers do not bother to put a high/low switch on the units. Reason is, in the end the compressor still requires the same amount of amperage to achieve the same low tempreture.
If your Danfoss equipped fridge does not have a High/Low switch, they are easy enough to fit if you really want one.
FollowupID: 4037

Follow Up By: Wellby - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Desert gave him a call today and he seems to know what he is talking about. We are going to melb. @ xmas and might pick one up. Thanks for the tip .
FollowupID: 4054

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Hi there desert, I have a 90litre Leimack front opener, i love it, i really believe it is the best fridge, 60litre fridge and 30 litre freezer. It has front opening for 4x4 wagons, electronic voltage cut out and plenty more as you would know. The battery thing is a problem if you run only 1 battery, you really must have two 4x4 batteries 15 plate batteries connected in parallel with no isolation solenoid. We did a trip up through the middle in our diesel 4.2 patrol with one battery in October a few years ago and found i was taking it for a drive about 8pm at night to get the fridge through till the next morning. But since we fitted two batteries in parllel, no more problems. If two batteries cant be fitted then there is no owning a Leimack. Any way this post is not very revelant now as i have found out a few weeks go that Leimack have gone into receivership with no reason given. Anyone that has one and has any problems, there is a telephone number on their web site, they are still happy to help people keep their fridges going. Best regards Michael.
FollowupID: 4065

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
Well, I bought an evaKool ED50 fridge today.
After spending all this time looking at all the different brands and their pluses and minuses, I plonked by $$$ down for the evaKool.

The Waeco 5 year warranty was *very* tempting, but the more I looked at the evaKool cabinet, not only was it a far superior cabinet in insulation, but the build quality is supurb with great hinges and handles.

After all, after the 3 way, fridges, Engel and ex Liemack/now Reefer, they all use the Danfoss compressor, so really, while the Waeco warranty was tempting, the evaKool won out. Good thing about the evaKool the top also makes an excellent work surface, and they say can be used as a seat as well - must be really rugged.
AnswerID: 8428

Reply By: Axel + Karen - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
check the archives for performance upgrades you can achieve on gas
AnswerID: 8491

Sponsored Links