02 Auto Patrol 3.0 4WD issues

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 11:06
ThreadID: 23376 Views:2216 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 02 Auto Patrol 3.0 that I used to pull my mate from a bog this morn and experienced some 4wd problems. He was bogged at the bottom of a semi-steep hill and I nosed half way down to snatch him out. As they have auto locking hubs I poked down in H2, put my foot on the brake, gearbox into N and tried to put it in L4 and it did not engage at all although the leaver was in the correct position. It made a grinding noise and displayed ATR on the dash. I tried this again in P and R and still the same (although won't go into L4 in D). As I wanted to reverse I though the auto hubs may be the issue and locked them in manually with the wheel brace, but still the same result. It sometimes displayed ATR in H4 but I was able to engage H4 and pull him out (lucky wasn't too steep). I then got home and tried it on the bitumen and worked fine. Was this due to the steep slope I was on and is it common. Maybe you have to engage L4 before being in that steep position but sometimes you have to change from H4 to L4 on steep slopes so that doesn't sound right. What is ATR and why did it do this?

Do you ever need to manually lock the hubs?
Cheers
JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mick - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 12:44

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 12:44
Gidday H2O,

I had a similar "problem" with mine. I was in H4 amd wanted to go into L4 to climb a hill. I stopped, gear lever into N and slowly disengaged H4 into N and then tried into L4. It made that horrible grinding noise, I thought I'd buggered it. I tried everything, I was convinced that it was stuffed.

When I got back to Perth I took it into the Nissan dealer who explained to me that when going from H4 to L4 in an Auto you MUST pull the lever quickly in one continuous forceful motion, if you hesitate and stop in N thats when you get the grinding noise.

If you have a look behind the drivers sun visor it's explained there, I didnt look!!

Hope it helps, no problems since, in and out of L4 heaps since then.

Mick
AnswerID: 113311

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 18:00

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 18:00
I can corroborate that mick, I was being too gentle with it too. One good yank all the way through and no worries.
FollowupID: 369569

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 13:39

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 13:39
Hi JD
You should always manually lock the hubs when you are off the hard stuff and are going to use some power to do what you wish to do. The manual lock is stronger and safer.
AnswerID: 113313

Sponsored Links