what extra suspension to I need

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2338 Views:1825 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
What suspension is best for me.
I own a Nissan Patrol ST 2001 model and need extra suspension.
The reason I need extra suspension is due to carrying heavy loads in the cargo area and towing a 4wd camper.
The suspension must be able to handle very rough tracks. I travel on more dirt roads than tar roads.
Does anyone know much about POLLY AIR SUSPENSION ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
Hi wellby
I have a Nissan Patrol Ute and have fitted heavier coils and Koni shocks. Because I have a camper trailer on the tray I have also added polyairs which I have found to be very good. The only porblem that people have with them is if they put too much pressure in them. I only put enough 20-24 lb to bring the back of the vehicle to where it is 25 mm higher than the front. Like all suspensions if you overload the vehicle and put very heavy suspension on then something has to give and this can be the spring towers. The bump stops have to still be able to work or the towers collapse
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 8363

Follow Up By: Diamond - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
i own a 3ltr 1990 partol i recently fitted gas magnum shocks and raised 50mm front coils from pedders and raised 50mm rear heavy duty coils we tow a 1tonne camper we dont really go offroad but plenty of dirt and bumps and drives so much better and no sag it the ass end also 3ltr patrols dont have a front sway bar so i fitted a pedders sway bar took a lot of the shacking you get on bends out of it
FollowupID: 4756

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
A range of after-market springs are available from either ARB, TJM, Kings etc. About 180-200 dollars/pair. How heavy you go with them depends on your loads. You may have to try a couple of sets before you find the correct ride/height for your task. Higher/taller springs mean you must also look at longer shockers. I suggest Rancho 9000X which have 9 selectable ride settings that you can adjust. These will also give you 55mm more stroke than standard. The problem with polyair bags is that they are prone to sticks puncturing them in off-road conditions, leaving you with no air springs assist at all. The air lines and fittings are also just another place to get snagged and cause problems too. Be careful not to overspring the car(air-bags and big thick springs) as this will cause the spring towers to tear out from the side of the chassis rails, which is a common weakness with Patrols. A brace can be bolted across the top of both towers to help prevent this problem occuring.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 8368

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
As regards Poly airs. i had them in my Pajero and cant wait to get em in my new Patrol. Obviously you have to fit them carefully and keep the air lines up out of the way, use heat shields if supplied (i was given one with the Paj kit. And dont pump them up too much-or- after you've loaded tyhe car. Better to pump, load then adjust the pressure downwards if need be. The bags are quite rugged and you would have to be very unlucky to spike them. Let alone all the other gear under a fourby that is more essential (radiators come to mind). One of best products I ever purchased.
FollowupID: 4101

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Wellby,
Can I suggest that you extensively search this forum? There are recent threads and posts on this topic, and as you may expect, varying opinions. Good luck.

PS - I have just installed No Bull suspension supports, as an alternative to Poly Airs. They work as a modified, load sharing system, and relpace the bump stops. I have heavy duty TJM springs as well, in the rear.

Rick.
AnswerID: 8380

Follow Up By: Wellby - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Thank you Rick for your comment. But I try and stay away from tjm products.(esp. Springs) I had trouble with one of the dealers in Melbourne in the eastern area, not far from Forest Hill and it has totally turned me off tjm.
FollowupID: 4055

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
Wellby : hard to beat these units...I fitted them as an alternative to a big suspension change, as I 'use' them when I go outback once a year for a month...They are the 'ants pants' as far as I am concerned and am delighted with them, should have put them in long before but resisted due to the 'experts' in my ears...if you look after your equipment it will last a long time... as the actress said to the bishop..
AnswerID: 8453

Reply By: michael - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
Have had polyairs on our '92 lwb mav 150,000km. ago no probs. Fitted them myself and I'm no genius. Just read instructions re inflation and max/min pressures ! Springs standard orig but Koni adjust shocks .Tow Jayco Swift Offroad camper ,roofrack with moderate weight and to date Polyairs have been great considering roads - Gibb,Gulf,Plenty Gt. Central - I no complain.
AnswerID: 8524

Sponsored Links