OziExplorer and Discover Aus GPS software

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 15:18
ThreadID: 23381 Views:2645 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Magellan Meridian Marine that I want to start to use for 4WD navigation trip planning and moving maps. All I know is the basics of GPS operation and have never used it for land navigation. Have read about and downloaded a demo version of OziExplorer. Have also read about the Magellan Discover Aus software, but know nothing about it.

Are these two products direct competitors or do they do something different. Most people seem to use OziExplorer.

Any views on which is best, or what is the difference? We have a laptop that we can use to connect up for moving maps when I learn how. Also have a scanner to import maps if I can learn how to stitch them together.

If I want a smaller (say 6inch x 6 inch fold down screen to mount on the dash board to use in the 4WD, I guess it is just a screen I get and plug it into the laptop?
Can I use this same screen to connect a reversing camera to if I ever get one?

As you can see, I don't know much about this stuff at the moment, so any advice from those with knowledge and experience would be appreciated.
Norm C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 15:34

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 15:34
So many questions, so little time :)) Oziexplorer seems to be the most common program in use. I find it great.
Easiest way to start with the maps is to remember that each actual map needs a special file (map file) to go with it. The map file holds all the calibration data etc for that particular map.
See if you can beg, borrow or preview a copy of Natmap Mosaic. The map files are on the Oziexplorer website for free. That will get you up and running with useful moving maps (once you connect your gps). After that you will have enough experience to do other maps, calibrate etc.
Success is a great motivator.
AnswerID: 113330

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:10

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:10
Thanks Footloose. Don't have access to Natmaps Mosaic but have read about it on the OziExplorer web site. Guess I'll have to buy it one day. Have downloaded a couple of their freebie maps and scanned one (just A4, so no stiching yet). I'm getting there slowly. Looks like a great system.

Is the detail on the Nat Maps sufficient for most 4WD navidation? I see the scale is 1:250,000 but it is a matter of the detail.
FollowupID: 369479

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:17

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:17
Norm, the Natmap Mosaic is almost too detailed when compared to say Great Desert Treks. But thats only for my needs. Others may need to see the camel tracks but I don't :)
When you do your calibration be very careful. After you've finished, check some points on your map with known GPS readings. No need to say this but make sure your datums are the same, most important.
FollowupID: 369481

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 08:42

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 08:42
Hi Norm C,

Where abouts are you located in QLD.

I am located in Redland Bay area, and I might be able to help.

I am currently running the following configuration:

1. GPS Mouse
2. Laptop
3. Ozi Explorer
4. Natmap Mosiac
5. Sunmap Mosiac (QLD maps)
6. Stateviwe raster (NSW Maps)
7. LPI 1 to 7 (NSW Maps)
8. Co Pilot Navigation for Laptop
9. UBD on Disk

If you would like some help, or some of the software, let me know.

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 113438

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 13:37

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 13:37
Looks like you are well set up Tony. Thanks for the offer. I've sent you a PM.
Norm C
FollowupID: 369556

Sponsored Links