dream pot

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 18:20
ThreadID: 23386 Views:3407 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi, I'm thinking of buying a large dream pot and would be grateful of your advice of whether they are really worth having.
we are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers and was wondering if the dream pot is large enough for our family and also can you cook different types of food other than just the stew type foods. Is it the type of thing that you buy thinking that you will use it all the time and in a short time it ends up collecting dust? thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 19:05

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 19:05
have a look at www.dreampot.com.au or do a google and have a lok at the recipes
we have 1 its great
steve
AnswerID: 113374

Reply By: AndrewX - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:08

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:08
Just remember that the DREAM POT is not a cooker in the traditional sense. That is, if the only thing you had was a DREAM POT and cold raw food, then 5 hours later you would still have a DREAM POT and cold raw food. You must cook the food on a heat source (which the POT does not have) and then the DREAM POT keeps it hot. It becomes cooler the longer it stays in the POT. It's very important that enough heat is applied to the food to kill bacteria before being put in the POT. One thought, if you went to your local Chinese shop and selected food from their heated display trays would you be happy if they told you it had been there gradually cooling for 5 hours? I wouldn't touch it!!!! Call me silly but I like my food freshly cooked....
AnswerID: 113382

Reply By: kev.h - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:16

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:16
We have had ours 3 or 4 years. Great for cooking on the run we cook stew or soup type meals for 15 min. at lunch time and you have ready cooked tea for when you set up camp that night also cook corn meat or pickled pork 30 min you wont tast better.
We fed 3 adults out of ours and some of the non-believers by the end of the trip others in our group headed to the nearest camp shop to get one
By the way after 5 hrs the food is still above the safe storage temperature and sometimes still too hot (be sure to heat the outer pot properly) its the slow cooking that does the trick
Most of the nockers have never tried it
Go for it you wont be dissapointed
regards Kev
AnswerID: 113395

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 12:41

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 12:41
G'Day Gone Bush.

Yes, you can cook two different meals at once. Spend the time in the morning, heat the food sufficiently and when you set up camp in the afternoon, take the pot out of the vehicle and heh presto! instant dinner.

Bought one for this very purpose, can cook food during the day while travelling, and SWMBO uses it at home as well instead of the "crock pot"

Rolande
AnswerID: 113454

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 14:02

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 14:02
Gone Bush, check out this earlier thread and you will note I am another fan.

They are great and easy to use, particularly when travelling.

Pedro

AnswerID: 113455

Follow Up By: Member - Marion C (VIC) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:50

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:50
Hello, I am another convert. The lamb roast is beauuiful tendar and tasty. Then on the top cook Golden syprup dumblings. Drive and see during the day,set up camp have pre dinner drinks then get stuck into a great feast.
marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369628

Follow Up By: gone bush - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:18

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:18
thanks to every one, I think that I'm getting swayed into buying one. I was interested in the lamb roast mentioned in the last follow up, so I gather that things other than the stew types can be cooked in one. If a meal was prepared properly in the morning would it still be warm for tea time or would it be over cooked and cool?
FollowupID: 369673

Sponsored Links