Perplexed !!!

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:24
ThreadID: 23390 Views:2594 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
well, bugger me dead, knock me over with a feather pillow, then make sure you finish me off with a 22 between the eyes. !
just reading the motoring section of our saturday paper here in the west, and what do i see...?
a reference to the nsw coroners report into the death of a little girl. fine, i can understand that, its always good to try and make sure something like that doesnt happen again.
But. and a real big But at that.....the article has a photo of a 4by and a little buz box at an intersection, with the caption,,,Stopping short of a giveway sign at an intersection so as not to block the view of other drivers will help to improve the 4WD image.
sorry,,,that is something i would not do,,,ever.
i have as much right to be on the road as anybody else,,,,,why should i sit and wait for someone else to go left,,,when i want to turn right,..do i place myself in danger because i cant see traffic on the road i want to get onto?
oops,,,,if we have to do this,,,then shouldnt the van drivers do the same,,,and people in the bigger cars as well,,,,oh bugger it,,,make the trucks do it as well....
hmmm,, now there is a thought,,,,i'll sit back from the intersection in my truck,,,guess that the traffic is clear, and cross over when i "feel " that it is ok.
sorry,,on a soap box,,,getting off now, just had to vent my garbled frustration...

rick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:31

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:31
before i read all your post...why a 22
357 will surely get it done..haha
AnswerID: 113386

Reply By: Nudenut - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:33

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:33
i toot and say go...if they dont too bad!
AnswerID: 113387

Reply By: WDR - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:35

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:35
You forgot buses, horse vans, couriers, all semitrailers (no food etc but who cares) all other delivery vans (no commerce but who cares) no police paddy wagons (hooray for crims) - In fact lets ban everything excepting pedestrians and cyclists to kill and injure the pedestrians (without registration plates of course so they can never be caught) and dogs. Better throw in horses for the manure - see where we are going

As a matter of inteest there was a post scrip to that story aftereveryone declared all 4x4 drivers should be executed immediately and their monstrous things confiscated - It would appear most FAMILY cars have worse rear vision and the worse of all is the Commodore.

AnswerID: 113388

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:26

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:26
Sorry, but I don't know what the problem is. I often do this as matter of courtesy if the vehicle either turning left or right is sitting there waiting before I get there.
Sitting back that 4 feet or so doesn't make my view any worse as I'm already in a better viewing position than the small car next to me.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 113396

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:54

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:54
Yeah i agree. Nothing wrong with being courteous... I dont think anyone should be awkward through spite...
FollowupID: 369516

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 12:41

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 12:41
Same. If I am turning right and a car comes up on my left and is going to turn left, I will back up a tad to let him see the traffic. I am going to be waiting for the traffic from my left anyway. Keeps the traffic flowing. Should be more of it.
FollowupID: 369555

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:47

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:47
Its common courtesy as I see it- each to their own though I guess.
I know I getbleepoff when the situation is reversed.
Its like the carpark syndrome- one car turning a tight corner cant make it coz theres another car blocking the way... who is sitting still waiting for the 1st car to get through a non-existent gap. Then the spoons start honking each other and getting mad.
FollowupID: 369625

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:54

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:54
Ditto, if I get there first I'm not about to reverse to give someone a better view, but if I get there second I try and stay a little further back to allow them a clearer view.

It may not help our image, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt!!

Sandy
AnswerID: 113401

Reply By: Member - Darryl - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 22:03

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 22:03
Well , they just dont let up do they (media)oh but i forgot channl 7 and 9 use patrols for there camera crews,not to mention the TRG police use Landcruisers.When will it end.Let me tell you my story,4 yeays ago we were ready for a new car to carry 5 the five of us.We went looking for the people movers .First was the the Kia Carnival,not enough room for luggage.We then looked at the Voyager and it was much better for room but the $65000 price was a bit much, so in the end we bought a four wheel drive ,cheaper ,fits us all in with luggage and we can use it four more adventerous holidays.We love it ,the wife picks the kids up from school in it ,hit roos in it and no damage and the insurance company was pleased .But the most impotant thing is its chepaer to run than my previous car which was a ford fairmont.I wish knockers would get a life have a long hard look at the rules and regulations that they are creating ,and i for one can not keep up with.
I shudder to think what it is going to be like for my kids when they grow up.
Ive had a few red wines and i feel better now!

A scruber and proud of it.

Darryl
AnswerID: 113403

Reply By: dedalus - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 22:48

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 22:48
G-day all!

Can someone please explain to me why the little (usually red) cars (usually driven by nice girls) are trying to overtake my 4wd (usually driven by un ugly guy ... me ...) in the city? They looks like flyes .... Are they less dangerouse than a 80 series driven by a 33 old man with 15 years driving's experience .... ???

Luca
AnswerID: 113409

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 23:26

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 23:26
Well guys,, i sit back and give the smaller vehicles a go!!! a small percentage of drivers smile and realise whats happening, i also let a heap of people in if i can from side roads if the traffic is heavy. I dont care what the van drivers do, they have their own set of rules. I do what i can to be pleasant on the roads. i do 200ks a day, six days a week so i get to interact with heaps of cars so every little bit helps even if i dont get much in return. It even makes my 3 hours a day driving less stressful and more pleasant. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 113419

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:17

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:17
Agree. Doesn't take much to make someone's day, and what comes around goes around. The problem is that there are so many drivers who don't realize that you are being nice to them. They don't give others a thought. Todays in yer face get outta my way driving style isn't just rude and ignorant, it's bloody dangerous.
As the old saying goes, its better to be late than dead on time.
FollowupID: 369545

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:47

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:47
You forgot "strewth", "starve the lizards", "fair suck of the sav" and "stone the flamin' crows".
AnswerID: 113444

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 16:05

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 16:05
....and 'butter my butt and call me popcorn"!!!!!!
FollowupID: 369564

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 17:40

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 17:40
I have no time for exclamations originating in the US (We / I am an Aussie after all) but must confess an admiration for "well strap me to the side of a blue ribbon hog !".
FollowupID: 369567

Follow Up By: floyd - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 16:42

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 16:42
Forgot "Spank My Ass And Call Me Mary"

Or "Spank My Ass And Call Me Truckster"
FollowupID: 369663

Reply By: Wayne - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 11:08

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 11:08
Hiya Rick,
Long time no see. When I looked at that article in the paper I had to wonder a bit............. isn't it breaking the road rules to create another "lane" like that? If the car is already at the line you aren't allowed to create an extra lane and likewise if you're at the line the car has to stay behind you until you leave the intersection. Unless he's talking about dual carriage ways?
Of course it's a long time since I did the driving test so it could have changed.
Cheers, Wayne
AnswerID: 113445

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 09:28

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 09:28
Totally agree with you Rick.

In that same artical it also stated that is was the Vice Pres. for the WA4WD Association who stated 4wd's should be banned from school areas (I actually had to read it a few times to see if I was reading it right). Bet he'll be under the pump at their next meeting.
AnswerID: 113527

Sponsored Links