battery charging with Honda EU10i

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:34
ThreadID: 23393 Views:4964 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering is anyone direct charging a deep cycle battery using the above generator? Am lending mine to someone planning to do this with an 85 a/h battery and am wondering about the unregulated power into the battery. Open circuit voltage is about 32 volts or 19 volts on idle. If left unchecked would the battery explode? Any comments welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: porlsprado - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:39

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:39
I have a yamaha - same really. But i understand the battery charge on these generators only charge to about 12.65v so the battery is only ever 80% charged anyhow. IF you can buy a 3 stage charger and run it off the 240v outlet. I bought a 12amp one from www.southpacific.com.au for i think $189.00 or something like that, the 12amp charger is not listed on their website but they still sell it. Being a 3 stage charger it will fully charge the batteries and you can leave it on forever if you wanted. My charger, PS-1212 i think, also has a toggle switch for charging lead acid batteries at 14.5v or AGM's at 14.2v. Funny thing is that when charging on the yamaha i believe you can't have it econo mode but charging it off the 12amp charger from the 240v socket i can have it on econo, funny that, even though it is putting more amps in than the 12v outlet. If yours is putting 32v into a battery i'd think something is wrong- did you test on a battery ?
AnswerID: 113398

Follow Up By: huntin - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 07:18

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 07:18
The 32 volt reading was open circuit, ie the generator output with eco mode off and not connected to the battery. The reading with eco mode on was 19 volts which seems a better charge rate for a deep cycle battery. Just wondering if anyone has done any long term charging this way, as Im curious how high the battery voltage would climb with this unregulated charge. Once connected to a charged battery, voltage reads just over 14v with eco mode off, but as this is unregulated, whats to stop the battery getting over and above a safe limit, and how long would this take?
FollowupID: 369533

Reply By: hl - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 07:27

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 07:27
Hi,

You'd be better off with external charger, even a cheapie 8 amp with a meter on it.
That way you can tell when it is getting full. Having said that, if you charged direct of the genni and started with a reasonably flat battery, it would probably take more than 10 hours before it was full again, so chances of overcharging are not that great. You could check the charging current when the battery is full. If it is less than 2 amps then I wouldn't worry, as you are unlikely to leave it on for hours.

cheers
AnswerID: 113432

Reply By: brett - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:28

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:28
The high open circuits voltage isn't an issue it will drop down to the battery terminal voltage when connected, but as the battery charges the voltage will rise and this needs to be monitored as if left will go beyond 14.2V and this will be a problem, But with a flat batery would probably take several hours to do this.
AnswerID: 113499

Sponsored Links