Chescold fridge odour

Submitted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:52
ThreadID: 23456 Views:3416 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have an older style Chescold, with the metal case and I have done all the mods suggested on this forum (thanks Adam and co) it works fantastically. On 240v I have to turn the thermostat right down or everything freezes. Even 12 volt is fantastic - but there is an odour problem. I have not smelt it when it was in the pergola on 240 or gas, but when in the car... I had to turn it off. The odour may have been there while running in the pergola but the open area may have dispersed the smell.

I repacked new insulation around the heat exchanger. I spoke with a fellow south of Brisbane who repairs Chescolds and he said he used ordinary roof insulation. I had some pink batts so I used that. I tested it for fire etc before putting it in. It is not burning. I've run it on 240 for 3 weeks, on gas for a week, but when I went for a long drive to test it on 12 v the fumes were too much. The smell is strongest at the top of the flu, but may not be coming from the flu pipe, but the general area.

Has any one else repacked the heat exchange insulation? If so what insulation was used? Is it the Pink Batts that are the problem and is there a chemical in these?

Thanks,
Black Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:05

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:05
Aren't Pink Batts made of fibre glass?
Thats why I didn't use them in the bus. They will vibrate down to little small fibres and you will breath it into your lungs.

Glass in your lungs cannot be good.

Can't help with the smell sorry.

Keep us posted though.

iMusty

AnswerID: 113742

Follow Up By: Black Jack - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:17

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:17
Yes mate. The insulation that came our was fibre glass mat as well. I encased the insulation in may wrappings of alfoil to seal it as best I could.

Black Jack
FollowupID: 369806

Reply By: Marko - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:39

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:39
G'day Black Jack,

I made some modifications to an RC1180 3 way as suggested here. Owning a sheetmetal shop coming upon insulation to re-wrap the flue was easy. However took it camping that weekend and the smell - whew.

I replaced it with polyester insulation, 25mm thick, perforated foil faced insulation which we use for ductwork. So after that trip I came back, replaced the insulation with fibreglass and it worked a treat. Spend 10 days in the Flinders Ranges and didn't smell a thing.

So in short the polyester insulation melts on the flu causing a terrible smell. I ended up putting back the insulation that was in it, plus a top up of 'fiberglass insulation'.

Marko
AnswerID: 113746

Follow Up By: Black Jack - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:05

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:05
Thanks Marko,
I would say I used Polyester as well. I'll have to go looking for fibreglass insulation.

Ta
Jack
FollowupID: 369820

Follow Up By: Black Jack - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:06

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:06
Marko,
I've been down to the hardware store and made a few calls to some builder friends and no one has the correct insulation. I really don't want to buy a full bag, just to get a 300mm square piece. Where did you get your insulation? If you have the insulation at your work and are interested in selling some I'll post you off a cheque. I leave on the 19th June so I have to solve the problem asap.

Thanks
Jack
FollowupID: 369830

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:29

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:29
not the 12volt wiring burning?
i bad joint and amps required for heater could cause insulation on wiring to melt/burn
AnswerID: 113754

Follow Up By: Black Jack - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:59

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:59
No Nudie,
That was the first thing I cheched as soon as I smelt it. I rewired the fridge and the car, added all the correct joiners etc. Everything perfect. I'm going with the polyester insulation theory and see if that fixes it.
Thanks for you help
Black Jack
FollowupID: 369828

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:00

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:00
Black Jack

Drives you mad! I used a wool type insulation from the ceiling and it really ponged. I ended up buying a bale of wall insulation batts and took my 300 mm square of one batt - the rest is up in the ceiling.

It worked a dream on the Chescold till I bought the Waeco and never got used again! Happy to cut you off a piece and post it to you - would cost you a few bob for the postage.

I'm still thinking of what to do with the bale if anyone has any ideas!

Regards
Max
AnswerID: 113774

Follow Up By: Black Jack - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:08

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:08
Max,
That would be great!
email me on pauldebb@bigpond.net.au with your address and cost. I'll send you my address and a cheque.

Thanks again
Paul
FollowupID: 369855

Sponsored Links