How long should a gas bottle last.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:14
ThreadID: 23496 Views:24938 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Okay I know this question is up there with "How long is a piece of string" But I am just wondering if someone has an idea through experience of roughly how long a 3kg gas bottle will last. Its connected up to a 3 burner companion bbq, and is used twice a day to cook a meal (no roasts in camp ovens only meat in the frypan, bacon and eggs etc) and boil water for dishes. Also to run a gas lantern for a few hours at night.
Im just curious to know how long they usually last before needing a refill.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:23

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:23
Weeks.

This has been discussed a few times , and from memory , I got 2 weeks out of a 4.5 kg bottle doing the same as you , but it hadn't run out. In fact , I think it went 2 X 2 week trips before refilling.

AnswerID: 113916

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:18
Troy,
As there are so many variables like the jet used and the pressure in the bottle plus how far the gas is turned up it is almost impossible to say. The weather temp even has an effect also altitude.
But apart from this expect about a week so my idea is to have a back up bottle and time the thing. Remember that a back up bottle is a must as they always run out when cooking an important meal. = Murphys Law.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 113926

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:30

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:30
Rodger Doger! (I couldn't help that, sorry I know it's sad).

Yup, I have a 2kg main and a 1kg spare. Work great and barley takes up any room. We used to get 5 to 6 weekend camping trips easy out of the 2kg with the primus burner but since getting the camp oven and doing heaps of stews etc we are now down to about 3-4 days out of the 2kg. We use fluro lights.

But as Rodger said, the spare is essential.
FollowupID: 369969

Reply By: old-plodder - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:42

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:42
2kg bottle, 2 burner gas stove, lasts us about 2 weeks camping.

depends how much water you are boiling!
AnswerID: 113934

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:42

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:42
piece of string is easier its the same length from the middle to each end
pmsl

steve
AnswerID: 113943

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 17:25

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 17:25
Assuming you have no knots
FollowupID: 370102

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:40

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:40
If you quietly sneak through the trapdoor under your inlaws house while they are sleeping you will find that leaving a 9 Kilogram bottle on will not be enough gas to finish them off. And you will find you will have to wiggle around in the dark on all fours through the dogs favorite bleep ting spot under the house. You will also need to shower at a friends house on the way home and borrow an ill fitting tracksuit as the stench will be to great even for you to handle. Only to find that the next morning the father in law has discovered your gasbottle and unbeknownest to him
connects it to his bbq after refilling it and every time you go there for a family gathering you have to see and hear him brag about his great mystery find. And your girlfiiend as all women do have this unnatural knowing of your adventures and she never kisses you the same again.

Take a spare 1 kilo bottle, and get some counselling.

No hang on! It's me that needs the counselling. You just get the spare bottle.

AnswerID: 113957

Follow Up By: troy35 - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:52
Imusty,

You always manage to come up with these great ideas to deal with annoying inlaws. Its a good thing I live in Broome and mine live in Melbourne.

I went camping a few months ago and had filled a 3kg gas bottle. I only went for three days and would have used it to cook 4 times plus boil water after each meal and runa gas light for a few hours each night.. We are going camping this long weekend (Here in WA it is) but going for four days taking Friday off work. I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to top it up again. It feels quite full still anyway and if it usually lasts a week or more then I should have plenty of gas left. I had planned to use the Cobb on two nights anyway.
FollowupID: 370003

Reply By: Skinnydog - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:20

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:20
If you have access to some digital scales, just cook something at home eg a stew
weighing the bottle before and after, time how long you cooked and you can get a rough idea on how many gm/hr. Skinnydog

AnswerID: 114024

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 13:43

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 13:43
I have a 3kg bottle I take out ski-ing for the weekend. I use it in a similar fashion to you and usually get about 4 to 5 weekends out of it. approx 15 days use.

"How long is a piece of string" It's twice half its length !!!!!

Jason
AnswerID: 114092

Sponsored Links