80 series rere axle bearings

Submitted: Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2350 Views:1567 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got any helpfull ideas on repacking the rere axle bearings on an 80 series Landcruiser ? An easy one or a job for my favourite mechanic ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Hmm - all depends on 'easy'. Once I had done it - I was surprised
at how easy it had been. I had a coach with me mind. I did it kneeling in dust on a servo forecourt after several Cape York wadings so it cant be too difficult! I would certainly do it again myself - good practice in case one breaks on a trip.

Helpful Ideas?

Loosen (but dont remove) the ?6? nuts on the studs before hitting with a
rounded peen hammer) to drive out each cone (then you se why you dont remove the nuts entirely otherwise cones fly off into long grass!).

If you dont have correct Toyota tool for the adjuster inside, I found a punch and hammer does almost as well.

Then it all comes apart & you can clean, inspect & repack bearings.

Remember order of things as you go along & just reverse to reassemble.

Tightening the adjuster is usually finger tight plus 1/8 turn - but locking screw holes may not then align. I went slightly tighter rather than looser.

Re-check bearing tension after 50 - 100KM.

You may need to renew seals so have these on hand before starting (good to carry spares on a trip anyway).

Good luck!
AnswerID: 8417

Reply By: Goran - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
The job is not that hard Steve. Jack the car up and secure it with the stand under the axle housing. Take the wheel off and the disc brake caliper and secure it with cable tiers or a bit of wire to prevent flexible hose from streching. Undo 8 nuts on the axle flange but leave them loose. You will see two holes on the flange(threaded ones) insert 2 metric bolts in and tinghten them slightly to apply a bit of pressure so you can separate axle from the diff. The bolts are same size as the flange nuts i think they are 6 or 8 mm metric. Hit the flange with brass hammer to loosen collets just above the studs. Do not hit the studs. Pull out the axle from the diff housing and place on clean cloth. Undo two screws on the bearing locking plate and unscrew it anti clockwise. Remove the hub and take care not to drop outer bearing on the concrete because if you do it is usually cactus. Use large screwdriver to remove inner grease seal and remove inner bearing. Clean the bearings in methylated spirits or petrol ( do not use compressed air) and dry them. Regrease the bearings by packing ( bit of grease on your palm and force the grease between the races) and clean the inside of the hub from old grease and replace with fresh one. Use hi temp wheel bearing grease only. Instalation is in reverse but note, you need new grease seal for each side, apply anti seize to all nutc etc and new gasket ( axle flange)
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Goran
AnswerID: 8420

Follow Up By: Goran - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

And when you do tension adjustment for the bearings use two filips screwdrivers inserted into the holes of the locking plate. Insert the third screwdriver between them and twist the plate clockwise until you feel the tension agaings the hub. Keep rotating clockwise litlle more until you locate first two locking holes. Sounds compicated but it really is not. Good luck
FollowupID: 4071

Follow Up By: Goran - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

And when you do tension adjustment for the bearings use two filips screwdrivers inserted into the holes of the locking plate. Insert the third screwdriver between them and twist the plate clockwise until you feel the tension agaings the hub. Keep rotating clockwise litlle more until you locate first two locking holes. Sounds compicated but it really is not. Good luck
FollowupID: 4072

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Rob and Goran thank so much for your input ! Will be off tomorrow to get a couple of seals and gaskets at my local dealer... and can't wait to get at the job.. hasn't been done in 185k 's !! reckon its well overdue !
steve
AnswerID: 8443

Sponsored Links