SHHHHH Dont Tell anyone

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:12
ThreadID: 23516 Views:4634 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering about peoples Favourite spots either close to home or along their beaten tracks they like to visit and why.You know the place - nice but not exactly a tourist destination you would travel miles to see but rather an interesting diversion on the way through. In no particular order here are some of mine
- Mt Wudinna, 16k North of Wudinna is a massive granite monolith standing out from surrounding farmland. As kids this was a favourite weekend spot with bush camping and plenty to see especially from the summit
- Walleroo Rocks, North of Bulla Bulling it has 3 dams on it that are great swimming in summer . Having a lower profile than nearby Burra rocks and Cave hill means less viitors and the chance for an au natural dip
- Mt Ridley, I break up my trips back from esperance with an overnighter at Mt ridley or Peak charles. Mt ridley is a granite rock with fascinating formations and bush camping
- Peak Charles between Esperance and Norseman. Usually get here around sunset to watch the views then climb it in the morning for some exercise. If time allows there is a 4wd track to Peak Ealonor (peak charles seems to be gaining in popularity, when I first started going there It was rare for others to be around now there are usually a few othe rcampers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:36

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:36
great sandy desert,plenty of good places to camp away from the crowds,a lot of history in the area ,the explorers carnegie,warburton etc. i used to work at telfer for years before it shut down[starting again]. i got to see a lot of the area on my breaks instead of flying out. cheers sparra.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114034

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:55

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:55
That would have been when there was still a Telfer Townsite? The current workers wouldnt know anything more than camp - site. I worked at Leinster and was telling the guys about the breakaway between the highway and town and none of them had seen it. Where i am working now is only 50k from cave hill but alot of the guys here are fifo and will never see it. Telfer will have alot more than startup problems if they continue to try and cover up majour incidents
FollowupID: 370043

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 15:46

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 15:46
I remeber the Telfer townsite. We went there MANY times as kids (dad used to travel there to work on the telecom exchange and also helped to start 6HB cable radio. It was a bizzare place. You'd drive 4 hours from marble bar through nothing and then come accroos this massive green oasis. I'll never forget seeing it on the horrozin as you drove towards it. I always remeber being envious as they had their own pliblic swimming pool and at Marble Bar we only had the above ground green slime pool out the back of my mates place at the service station.... We used to run around and around to make wirlpools and then not be able to stop because your feet would slip on all the green slime on the bottom! LOL
FollowupID: 370086

Reply By: Member - sparra - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:04

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:04
yeah davoe,i was there when it was a townsite ,it buggered it when it went fifo.when it went fifo i would have my 4wd up there for 9 months of the year and go camping/touring on my week off. cheers sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114036

Reply By: Big Woody - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:11

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:11
A favorite little spot that usually only locals used to camp is a spot called Rocky River near Tenterfield in North NSW.
To get to it turn south at Drake and follow the dirt road until you hit the river. If you follow this right through you will come out again at the highway south of Tenterfield.
Great camping, swimming, excellent rockpools, a bit of gold fossicking (with success occassionally).
The road that follow the river crosses through several private properties which you are allowed to drive through but the ones that don't allow camping usually make it pretty clear with signs as you cross the grid onto their land.
It is very picturesque with sections of the river that contain boulders as big as my house. Looks a bit like Colorado actually.
I think from memory (i can't be bothered looking for my old maps) the official name of the river is Tiboobara or something like that anyway but some will show the road as Rocky River Rd. There are a couple of places to drive across the river and explore the state forests on the eastern side too.
The best time to go is after a bit of rain when it is really flowing and has had a good clean out.

Cheers,
Brett

T/D Landcruiser
AnswerID: 114037

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:58

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:58
Anywhere I can get a decent kip at night without others showing up :))
AnswerID: 114087

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 15:49

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 15:49
Anyplace I can stay up all night enjoying the bush without anyone showing up to annoy thebleepout of. ;-)

Yeah it's best away from every bastard!

FollowupID: 370087

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 07:48

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 07:48
Ga'day Davoe . We spend a bit of time out your way from time to time , but i carn't find Mt Ridley on the map , can you give me a bit better idea where it is ? Lat , long would be good . Cheers Errol
AnswerID: 114190

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:23

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:23
Am at work so I dont have my maps with me. As stated it is a stop off point on my way back from east of Esperance and is nowhere near Kalgoorlie. Try about 80k north of condingup and 50k west of salmon gums (very approximately) On my way back from Thomas river/poison creek I cut through the farmland nth of Condy and can make it part of the trip on the way home
FollowupID: 370247

Sponsored Links