GU Patrol Suspension Install

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:14
ThreadID: 23538 Views:2723 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My new TJM coils and shocks have arrived (2" lift) and I am planning on fitting them myself this weekend. I have no spring clamps and have never seen a suspension fitting before. I have heard that you can use wire to keep the old springs compressed before you jack the car up, but what about the new coils that are longer? If there are any tricks or things I should look out for I would appreciate hearing them.
Cheers
JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 19:09

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 19:09
H2O, hire some spring compressors and be careful, will make it so much easier and safer.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114120

Reply By: desray - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:18

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:18
Hi you dont need spring clamps on the Patrol.For the rear undo the bottom shock bolt and undo the sway bar link. Then jack the chassis up just in front of the trailing arms, keep going up and the springs fall out, fit the new ones and let the jack down.Do each side seperate, the front is almost the same but you might have to undo the brake pipe were it is bolted to the axle (so you dont snap the rubber hose). They are not hard to do but you will need a good jack and some axle stands for saftey
AnswerID: 114159

Reply By: SteveL - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:28

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:28
You don't need spring compressors,just jack up the car with a large trolley jack (it will have to be a long way off the ground) and put axle stands under the chassis rails.You may have to unbolt the brake lines where they connect on to the chassis and also the diff breather hoses.Then put the trolley jack under the diffs and disconnect the the shockers and sway bars and lower slowly releasing tension from the spring.If you have the vehicle high enough then the new springs should go back in without too many problems.-Steve
AnswerID: 114162

Reply By: 4X4Treker - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:34

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:34
desray is correct if you use good jack and chasis stands should have no problems, on my old GQ Patrol it was easy the only thing you had to be careful of on both front and rear was the rubber brake line and the diff vent hoses other than that it was easy, I have not had a look at the length of the hoses on my new GUIV but I believe that the hoses are longer and should not be a problem.
AnswerID: 114166

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 00:39

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 00:39
I did as above and got the springs out, but to get new ones in needed to tighten a heavy duty ratchet strap around the spring to compress it a few cm to get it back in.
good luck
AnswerID: 114181

Reply By: desert - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:00

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:00
I use a pair of trolley jacks, one each side on the chassis rails. Disconnect lower shock mounts and anti-sway links. Using two jacks allows the car to go up evenly, which helps in fitting the repalement springs. Make sure you position the rubber insulation properly and note the indents in the spring seats only allow the spring to sit in those indents to be correctly fitted. You also may need to place a 4 inch block of wood on top of the jack to get enough height. It all depends on the free-length of the new springs which can vary up ro 25mm, depending on brands.Be careful of the brake hose on the front axle, perhaps loosen it off as well. Keep in mind there are left and right springs, mix them up and you end up with a lean over to one side or the other.
AnswerID: 114197

Sponsored Links