Gibb River Road

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:27
ThreadID: 23541 Views:2617 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have read a number of posts over the last week. Opinions on difficulty range from driveable in a 2 wheel drive to a suspension breaker.As I am going there in the near future I would appreciate some realistic and knowledgable feedbackfrom people who have recently driven the GRR and Kalumburu roads.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:35
I would too Cloughie - I will be on the track at the end of July .
Willie .
AnswerID: 114114

Reply By: J.T. - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 19:00

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 19:00
my wife and i drove the gunbarrel hwy then tanami road,bungles and on to g.r.r.There were a lot of corregations a lot of the way but we drove pretty conservatively{speed wise)and had a lot of breaks for a drink and a rest.We mainly sat on around the 60-80kph mark.Had no damage and no flat tyres.Our tyres were about 30% worn when we left and had 2 spares and good repair kit.Heard the odd story about multiple tyre dramas but all second hand stories.(more like 20-30kph for bungles sorry)
AnswerID: 114118

Follow Up By: Jim-Bob - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 19:59

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 19:59
G'day J.T.
We will be driving the gunbarrel hwy starting the 23rd of July.
How long ago and what was the road like when you drove it.
Safe Travells.
Jim-Bob.
FollowupID: 370113

Reply By: J.T. - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:16
we drove the gunbarrel hwy in 2003.It was quite rough in places and we always drove on the slow side of things to play it safe on the car and us. We went solo and were very well prepared with vehicle and food,water etc and although we didnt have a radio of any type we had an epirb and informed police and friends of our arrival and departure.Although we were a bit paraniod of safety in remote areas to begin with we had a great time and didnt cross anyone else until near docker river.
AnswerID: 114158

Reply By: nick riviera - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 22:23

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 22:23
they probably refer to it as a suspension breaker because of all the crap (ie totally overloaded) they have onboard their vehicles hence the suspension failures.

I ve seen lots of camrys and commodores holden one tonners and hiace vans on the GRR when dry, but turn off it and go to kalumburu, drysdale river ect. you would want a high clearance 4wd.
AnswerID: 114299

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 23:00

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 23:00
Agree I did the grr april 03 and it wouldnt have challanged my old 89 camry. Trip t0 Mitchell falls was another matter
FollowupID: 370270

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:16

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:16
Hi Guys,
We drove up the Gibb River Road in August 2004. The condition of the road is very dependent on when it was last graded. You can find this out from the Derby visitor information centre. We took our Troopy and off road campertrailer without any trouble, but we left the CT at Drysdale River Station when we went up the Kalumburu road, as that is pretty rough. There were some corrugations, but we could generally travel at about 80kph on the Gibb River Road. Watch the cattle grids though. We met a couple who spectacularly shredded one of their tyres by hitting a grid too fast. The eastern end of the road is much rockier than the Derby end, and that was where people were getting flat tyres, picking up sharp little stones. In my opinion the biggest hazard is the fourby tour buses! I'm serious actually, they travel to a ridiculously tight schedule, and pay no attention to safe speeds and don't stop to help other travellers. In fact they race past without slowing down and shower you in a thick coating of dust. They also don't let their tyres down for the conditions and wreck the road surface for everyone else.
Make sure you travel with all the right spares, prepare your vehicle properly, don't try to do it too fast, and you wll have the experience of a lifetime. It is an incredibly beautiful part of the world, and a real privilege to visit.
Happy travels
Anni
AnswerID: 114321

Reply By: J.T. - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 00:04

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 00:04
Couldnt agree with you more Anni.We were nearly run off the road a couple of times.You would never catch them to give them a piece of your mind anyway.
AnswerID: 114495

Reply By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 01:56

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 01:56
Hi, cloughie,

We will travel the GRR from July 30th to august 6th and look for Aussie travelers who might share the trip.

What about it ??

Cheers.

Eric
AnswerID: 114498

Sponsored Links