camper trailer in the sand

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2356 Views:3023 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
thinking about buying a camper trailer . i was wanting to know if anyone has had any trouble on the beach . fuel usage must go up , my v6 jackaroo already drinks alot . while im here is anyone unhappy with tuffdog shocks and springs.thanks mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
Have taken mine down Googs Track in SA- it has the wide tyres on board - let them down a bit as you do for the car - Googs has about 3 difficult sand hills near the top end which tested my rig, but with some practice it all turned out well .....if you have the power, the trailer can run quite well in the sand.....BUT.....I'm told that it is a bad idea for serious sand hill country like the Simpson.....I use the 3.0 99 TD Jackaroo.....dp
AnswerID: 8463

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
Darian, don't believe everything you are told. Trailer in Simpson no probs. Much already said about this topic (mostly by those with no experience) Bob
FollowupID: 4136

Follow Up By: Darian - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
I know what you mean Bob, but I rang the park ranger in Port Augusta SA and I had a good talk on the issue - a very sensible bloke he was - his advice sounded very well founded - "don't take you trailer into the Simpson" he said. "Depending on conditions, it could ruin your experience of the park, even if you do get across". He had a scenario for both light and heavy duty trailers that seemed to hold water.....I took his advice. We have to make judgements - hoping they are correct....cheers ....dp
FollowupID: 4137

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

I would suggest hiring one first and testing fuel consumption. Your fuel consumption will go up and it will probably triple. You will need strong suspension (as on any proper trailer) cos when you go up sand dunes and get near the top where the others have been there are usually a lot of big humps (and you will dig a lot too) which puts a lot of stress on the trailer. If you havent been already you could even go into a sand area and see how much your car drinks now ( without the trailer), you'll be shocked!!!!!
AnswerID: 8464

Reply By: Member - Lex - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Mark

My Campo/Matic camper has 'tough/dog' shocks which seem to be fine on the camper.I also had them on my Patrol but I found the ride to be too hard with minimal load.Last week I replced them with Bilsteins and the improved ride was fantastic; no jarring over small bumps anymore.

Kind Regards
Lex
AnswerID: 8465

Reply By: heffo - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

mark
I have a heaslip camper trailer, I take it everywhere. Went to frazer island , had no problems. correct tyre pressure is the most important thing when driving on sand , not just for the towing vechical. while on frazer island i ran both vechicals on 18psi. my towing vechical is a 4.2 turbo diesel nissan

heffo
AnswerID: 8489

Reply By: Axel + Karen - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Mark,, the best bet for the sand is to have your trailer track width the same as your tow vehicle so that the trailer is following in the sand you have already compressed,,,also drop your trailer pressures by the same amount as you do on your vehicle,,,, as for fuel consumption,,used to have a 2.6 auto jackarroo,, 10ks per lt h/way with trailer,,,8ks per lt beach,,[ Nossa to Rainbow Beach/Inskip Point /Fraser Island ] towing same trailer,,,,now use 4lt v6 ford explorer auto ,8klm per lt h/way and 8klm per lt beach towing same trailer !!!!! try and figure??? Axel
AnswerID: 8498

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
Mate, forget about a camper trailer if going off-road. Get a touring tent. I've got a Jackeroo V6 3.5 and fuel useage goes from 14l/100km to 30l/100km and a Landrover defender which goes from 12l/100km to 14l/100 km when touring off road with a trailer, which absolutely kills range plus my wallet. I sold my camper trailer and got a touring tent - 1001% better.

The problem is it's horses for courses. Touring round oz - get a caravan and touring tent (for when you want to get real off road) and when 4WDing get a touring tent. The caravan/camper trailer can't go where you want your 4WD to go an it will only hamper your off road experience.

Advice - only tow when using bitumen or well travelled tracks.

Probably doesn't help or answer your question but what the hell!!
AnswerID: 8620

Follow Up By: Robert - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
I assume you’re the Mike I’m thinking you are – “The fire's alight and the red's flowing”
So you no longer have a camper trailer, as it was too expensive for you to tow! This probably explains why you are so biased towards people towing trailers. Need I say more!
FollowupID: 4276

Follow Up By: Mike - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
I have no idea who you think I am!!! There are a few Mike Scotts out there. Anyway. Nothing really to do with price. First and foremost it's just pure access issues. You can't tow a trailer and get real off-road - period.
FollowupID: 4398

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Mark,

We've had a campertrailer for over 3 years now and have just ordered a new one. Wouldn't be without it. Re: driving in sand. I second comments above about tyre pressure etc. Yahoo offroad campertrailer group have members who have towed their trailers over the Simpson and Canning Stock Route without a bit of trouble. I don't want to get into a debate about taking trailers across the Simpson - plenty has been said on this forum previously about it. Just trying to demonstrate that a well set-up trailer need not restrict your off-road trekking activies. These trailers were purpose built off-road units being towed by well equipped, grunty 4WD's being driven by experienced drivers.

Regarding fuel consumption...our trailer tracks extremely well behind our vehicle. In fact, sometimes we barely know it is there. Fuel consumption is marginally higher but substantially less than if we were towing a caravan. Also, the trailer has made our roof rack almost redundant. Taking that off the car improved our everyday, around town consumption and towing fuel consumption is on a par with heavily loaded vehicle with roof rack.

Hope this is of some help.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 8654

Sponsored Links