traveling oz, 4 kids looking for free camps etc

Submitted: Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:00
ThreadID: 23570 Views:2786 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm a new member about to set of on one year trip around oz leaving Briz heading north first,August 2005.We have 4 kids aged from 3 to 14,we will have a fixed income whilst we travel so do not want to stay in van parks to much $$$.My wife is worried about rest areas could anybody give me some feedback on this to settle her nerves or suggest other places to camp and what is acceptable to the authorities.4.2 GU Patrol and offroad Jaycar swan wind up camper are our new home.Have been planning for 10 months I think I have most things covered just not were we are going to sleep first night.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:40

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:40
I would suggest for a small investment you can't go far wrong with this

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/

I have version 2 and have done many kms almost all free camping using the info
AnswerID: 114280

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:05

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:05
Sleeping at roadside stops is always a worry for first timers. Even old hands are careful. However just observing some basic safety rules will see you OK.
Try and stop where there are at least another 2 mobs. Truck camping areas are good but not numerous. I've slept in all sorts of places and believe me, others are just as worried about you as you are about them.
Have a mobile phone and try and camp within range of its coverage. Its a reassurance.
4 kids are a handfull. Supervise them carefully as they can accidently get into strife that will make stranger danger seem welcome.
Follow your sixth sense. If a situation or area looks sus then carry on.
Years ago my parents took us on holiday and we stopped to sleep in the car in a roadside pulloff. One of us asked if this was the place where the farmer had been murdered. That was it ! My mum made dad drive into a town and we pulled off in the main street. I awoke to find people going to the post office opposite. We later found that it wasn't that place at all.
Most of all have fun. Remember that thousands of people just like you sleep in all kinds of places and wake up happy the next morning.
I guess they don't have 4 kids with them :))
AnswerID: 114284

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:24

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:24
wouldnt get to concerned I have camped all sorts of spots including out the front of pubs and the only time i had a problem was in the Derby information centre in the middle of town when a drunk local mistook my van for the indiginous service bus but the maglight in the eyes and a stern F.... off now before you cop the torch over the head sorted things out
AnswerID: 114290

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:59

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:59
I wouldn't worry about being attacked when camping in Australia but I would worry about the wisdom of taking a 14 year old out of school to do a tour of Oz for 12 months.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 114296

Follow Up By: John - Qld - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:42

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:42
Here’s some wisdom for you.

It’s a small trade off - what life skills do they teach us at school to prepare for life – none.

Who really needs the BS like chemistry, physics, logarithms, etc. Would have benefited greatly from a Dale Carnegie type course on the Australian curriculum though.

The last 2 years of school is more critical anyway IMO. My bet would be a 14 year old with a years worth of travel under their belt is going to be more confident and therefore more successful in life. We know Australians who go straight to uni from school haven’t got a clue and there is a high drop out rate; for once the Americans have got it right recognising that taking a year off before uni works.

As for being away from his/her mates for a year…. no harm in the long term, probably better.

Wise John :-)
FollowupID: 370282

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:09

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:09
"what life skills do they teach us at school to prepare for life – none."
Well thats a relief. We can save billions in taxes, just turn all of our kids loose in the streets and they'll be right.
FollowupID: 370285

Follow Up By: flashnick - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:34

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:34
Yay - Go for it.
As a former Youth and Family worker and a Father of 3 AND an EX kid who travelled this fantastic land with his parents and went to about 12 schools -Take the kids out of school and let them experience THE life that so few get to experience, its an education in itself. - not to mention you will be with them all the time - great bonding thats the best part of it.
. See it all while you can. Even after all my travel as a child I still had to take a few years off after finishing Uni and Pick fruit, drive trucks etc to round off my education and bring myself back to earth.
Nick
FollowupID: 370321

Follow Up By: tonyjulie - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:32

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:32
You assume too much John, We have been with Distance education for five years now as we found that the schools lacked in the education department. Our fourteen year old is the least of our wories as he is a well educated and well adjusted young man this is no thanks to the system you are concerned about. All of our children will never see a school untill University that is. 14 year old is a B pluss student and my daughter 13 is and A student. We have got the education sorted thanks for your concern.
FollowupID: 370415

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 00:33

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 00:33
Go for it,
Father in law has travelled for years and has gone 9 months without a single night in c/park, so get camps book mentioned earlier and use it, as we are just starting too as well, truck stops are ok but noisey, town rec grounds are often available espectially small towns, dont be bullied by councils, there main concern is human waste so use a porta loo where you can, if you are unable to drive safely because you have a "migrain" ? then stay where you are!
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 114305

Reply By: Rocky M QLD - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:25

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:25
Hi to all,
did it in a bus for about 4years,two things to remember 1. always park in a position that enables you to drive straight out ,without fuss and secondly,always find your camp in good daylight,so you can have a good look around.I didnt once and found out that we were about a 100 metres away from an aboriginal camp which accounted for all the noise during the night,but all is generally safe if common sense is used.Have a good trip
regards Dave
AnswerID: 114316

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:54

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:54
Hi Tony
Don't know if you have put your names and radio frequency on rear of your van, but have heard it can be a problem ,as strangers in the night can call out your name making out they know you, just a thought
Have a great trip
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 114319

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:12

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:12
There's a thought. Very useful for others on the road but yes I can see the possibilities. Hmm...
FollowupID: 370286

Follow Up By: kev.h - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:25

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:25
some contact name on the back is handy so you know when someone is trying to get in touch while driving but as you said it can be a problem with strangers solution ? on the back of my van i have my dogs name then i know if someone is trying to get me but they dont know who i am anyone hanging around my van at night calling my dog is in for a surprise and i know they don't know me
cheers Kev
FollowupID: 370288

Reply By: kev.h - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:15

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:15
dont forget to check out the small towns as a lot of them can see the advantage of having you stay a day or two and offer free sites in mainly council van parks
we found this was the case in central & western qld at least
if we are thinking of staying somewhere we normally fill up with fuel then ask the people at the servo where to stay local knowledge is always handy you'll be supprised how often you get offered free sites
enjoy your trip
Kev
AnswerID: 114320

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 14:08

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 14:08
Ws just gong to mention this. Mitchell council used to offer free 2 nights, but I think the first night is now pay and next two free.
Thargominda has two free nights.
Others are doing the same thing now.
We ask at the local servotoo as to what they recommend.
Sometimes it is a place by the creek just down the road.
FollowupID: 370297

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:45

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:45
You have to pay for the first night now at Mitchell ? Bad move Mitchell Council. "James, Thargominda sounds nice ." :))
FollowupID: 370323

Reply By: Member - Ray - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:03

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:03
tonyjulie,
Have alook at my reply to post 23589.
I haven't checked but maybe the books are available from the exploroz shop.
TAKE THE KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL
regards RAY
AnswerID: 114392

Reply By: tonyjulie - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 08:07

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 08:07
We have had the kids out of school for five years now and they havn't missed any good stuff or bad stuff. Being on the road for them will just be a bonus. They do distance education and love it. Compared to their friends who are in school they do alot more work and actually remember it and they are well rounded mature people compared to their peers. Would not say it is a problem. Thanks to all who responded to our first post. We got some good advice and will be lookin into that book mentioned.
AnswerID: 114406

Follow Up By: tonyjulie - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:31

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:31
good idea from kev about bogus name on van we will use this got to find a name now
FollowupID: 370341

Reply By: 4X4Treker - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 22:17

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 22:17
Tony
Your home state has great free overnite stops I used your own roads authority map that shows where all the road side stops were and what facilities are in them. My wife and I have been staying in roadside stops for many year like thousnds of other do and have never had any problems, the rule of thumb that we have always followed is safety in numbers and we have made many great friendships from these overnight stops. Last big trip that we did 4 months and 25,000kms Adelaide, Darwin, Kimberly's, Broome, Perth and home and stayed a total of 20 days in caravan parks mainly to wash clothes top up with water etc.
Have a great trip, your children will learn more with the experience than they would in any class room.

Happy Camping
Treker
AnswerID: 114483

Sponsored Links