More camels than cars...

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:14
ThreadID: 23577 Views:2705 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well Wayne has started his trip up the Canning Stock Route and plans to report in every few days with a "word or two"...

He left Uluru on Wednesday morning with the group of excited customers, starting out from under the shadow of our famous monolith. (She was decked out in her purple dress for the occasion). Clear skies and a gorgeous day they headed in a south-westerly direction along the Great Central Road.

The first night was a bush camp and in his first days travel, he commented that along the way, they had seen more camels than cars...and massive amounts of yellow/green folliage which was surprising in such a desolate area. They've also spotted several dingos and roos and massive eagles who delight in gorging themselves on the road kill along the way.

Reaching Warburton, fuel prices were $1.60 per litre.

The roads are in very good condition. Not littered with beer cans or rubbish but Wayne says he now knows where all the dead Falcons go to die!

An overnight stop at Laverton, everyone was in great spirits and he has noted that the grocery stores are pretty good with plenty of fresh product.

Fuel at Laverton was $1.35 a litre.

A nice meal at the local pub for the night where the meal was excellent. Laverton is in a gold mining area and at the pub they were entertained when one bloke pulled a $4000 gold nuggett, out of his camera bag. Apparently they propsect for gold 9 months of the year and then head off to the big city. There are many prospecting nomads in and around the town.

Today they are heading north to Wiluna, which will be the last civilised stop before reaching Alice Springs in 20 days. [I got him out of his nice warm swag at 6:30am when I rang for this final update ha ha ha -Wayes Wife :-)]

So from tomorrow morning the great adventure starts, visiting as many wells as possible along the Canning Stock Route.

It will be sat phone contact from then on, every second night during our 1 hourly window when it will be left on.

That's all for now,

Waye's Wife

p.s. Report from Wayne's wife...finally got the driveway swept and cleaned, the dogs been to the vets, kid to the dentist, the washing and mowing are done and I'm planning on doing the gutters today!...and he calls what he does work!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 16:59

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 16:59
G'day "Wayne's Wife",
May I ask, do you have a name??? lolol Sounds like we're gunna be hearing a bit from you, so it'd be nice to be able to say "G'day Gertrude" (or whatever.haha)
Glad to hear that the ol' bloke is coping ok so far.
If you think of it next time you talk to him, could you ask him how the Poron Reverse camera set-up is coping at this stage please....??
Looking forward to learning more of the great man's adventures.
Cheers for now.
Roachie
AnswerID: 114445

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 20:50

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 20:50
Hi Waynes' Wife
Agree with Roachie, would be good to get a name, and also looking forward to reading the ongoing reports.
Keep up the good work
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 114470

Reply By: Wombat - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:06

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:06
So we can expect regular updates on Wayne's World brought to us here by Wayne's Wife? I think there are a few of us going to be asking the same question as Roachie - How's the Poron camera and monitor holding up to the corrugations? I, for one, look forward to the next installment.
AnswerID: 114556

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:34

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:34
Hello There
was wondering if you could post an update
Have they taken on fuel yet and how much, and was there plenty off and where
How are they finding the wells - interested to find out how much water is arouind for showers/wash in
Many Thanks
we leave end of July for the Canning
AnswerID: 115692

Follow Up By: Maxass10 - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:43
I have just arrived back in Melbourne after leaving Wayne at the end of the trip in Alice Springs on Sunday night.

On the fuel front, I can share with you that I left Wiluna with 300 litres and only took on about 160 litres at Well 23. I have a 4.2 TD GU Patrol. We pretty much kept to the stock route and also went out to the Calvert Ranges. Conditions were good with no real dramas crossing the dunes (20/28 psi front/rear).

Diesel was available at Well 33 ($2.25) and Bililuna ($2.00 cash only but ATM in the store).

We did not see much traffic on the CSR, probably about 8 convoys in total over the whole trip. We had all campsites to ourselves except for one night at each of Durba Springs and Well 33.

Final comments, there was good water available for showers at several wells. Off the top of my head 33 and Durba definitely and then early on either 4,5 or 6, I can't remember.

I hope that helps, the trip was fantastic.
FollowupID: 373315

Follow Up By: Maxass10 - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 17:31

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 17:31
Michael back again

the shower stops lower down the CSR were at corners well and well 15, not 4, 5 or 6

Michael
FollowupID: 373456

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:42

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:42
thanks for your reply
could you tell us
We are going to travel from Kunnawarritji (Well 33) to Wiluna without taking on fuel at well 23 (Have not arranged a fuel dump)
the other vehicle is a 4.2 l diesel nissan similar to yours
Could you tell me how much fuel you used between Wiluna and Well 33
thanks also for your oher replies.
Good to see all went well.
Thanks
AnswerID: 118650

Follow Up By: Maxass10 - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 19:58

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 19:58
Trevor

Working backwards, I estimate that I used about 200 litres, Wiluna to Well 33.

I put in 160 in at Well 23 and then I estimate I used a bit under 2 jerry cans from Well 23 to Well 33, so a total of around 200 litres. This includes the trip out to the Calvert ranges.

I trust this information assists in your planning.

Michael A
FollowupID: 373829

Sponsored Links