100 series T/D front diff lock

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2360 Views:1936 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just recently I purchased a new 100 series T/D. I have been trying to find a supplier and fitter in Canberra or nearby, for a "Maxi-Lock" Front diff lock for the independant front end. I can't seem to get any joy! The reason I want an electric servo lock instead of air is that like many people I don't like the idea of putting rubber in oil. Now before you all start defending air locks, and they are fine, there are many choices out there and I choose to be different. But the point being that nobody seems to know how to do it yet. I would be greatful for any suggestions about this and would be happy to hear from any other owners who have fixits for the few little probs it has.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
Thats a funny one Mr Bean! the concerns/reasons you state are illogical.
Most Rubber and plastics and oil are all compatable (for these applications - at least. SOME plastics will melt in petroleum but they've now got them susssed)- many oil seals are rubber many plastics are petroleum based and oil and solvent resistant -
Look for the best product - for the right reasons dont worry about the science - the reason its hard to get satisfaction is cause there are simpler and more reliable ways (a big plus for outback touring)-the components will probably out live you and your vehicle.

K.I.S. is the best advice I can offer.
Happy hunting
kezza
AnswerID: 8499

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
"Maxi-Lock" Front diff lock for the independant front end

Do you have any history on Maxi-Locks?? Cost over Lockrite, ARB, etc?

100s have been known to blow front diffs with lockers in them.. more than once too.

Expensive thing your playin with as warranty is out the window when you fit the locker. If the locker isnt as good as ARB Air Locker I wouldnt P on it.

YMMV.
AnswerID: 8501

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
Why put yourself through the hoops for a rare(maybe impossible) diff lock that may serve you 1% of your time? Just do the rear one and put aside some dough for a winch if your're that concerned about needing some other traction device.
AnswerID: 8519

Reply By: Mr Bean - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
hi all thanks for all the input but no one has been able to answer my question. Thanks for the suggestions guys but the car is new I'm not, and I wouldn't be chasing a Maxi Lock if I didn't think it was the right product for the application.
Thanks again
Mr Bean
AnswerID: 8523

Reply By: Derek - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
Dear Mr Bean. Can't say I agree with the logic of what you want to do but that's not what you want to hear I know. Try getting your hands on an American off-road magazine called 'Petersens' (I think that's the name of it. I see them regularly in the newsagents up here in Bris'). From this you may be able to get a contact in the states. Friends of mine have bought accessories this way that have not been available here in Oz. Good luck.
AnswerID: 8621

Reply By: Derek - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
Dear Mr Bean. Can't say I agree with the logic of what you want to do but that's not what you want to hear I know. Try getting your hands on an American off-road magazine called 'Petersens' (I think that's the name of it. I see them regularly in the newsagents up here in Bris'). From this you may be able to get a contact in the states. Friends of mine have bought accessories this way that have not been available here in Oz. Good luck.
AnswerID: 8622

Sponsored Links