Landcruiser 100 Series Purchase

Submitted: Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:00
ThreadID: 23615 Views:2258 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Folks,

I'm looking at purchasing a 100 Series Landcruiser. Does anyone know when the IFS started, and what models don't have it?

We were thinking of about a 98 GXL, Non-turbo Diesel, but weren't sure about the suspension on that particular unit.

Also, any other hassals we would likely have with a unit like this?

Cheers,

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fatz - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:47

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:47
Chris, pretty certain that this will be a solid axel model not an IFS. Everyone has different opinions but heres mine, I have a 99 base model solid axel. It is diesel. when I got it I fitted an aftermarket turbo as the standard diesel just doesent cut it in the hills and when towing. Now it great. I have given it heaps and do lots of off road work from mild to "wild" and have had no major dramas apart from the usual front diff seals at 150k, rear diff seals at about the same time and a few other bits and pieces, but I think these are standard maintenance items. The only fault I have with it is the Handbrake, they are shocking and need to be constantly adjusted.(I'm working on a replacement for the cable, looking at putting a rod in). If i'm right the 98 GXL is a full time 4wd, some people dont like like the full tim, some do, depends on what you want to do with it.

Mick
AnswerID: 114518

Reply By: chris_legend_25 - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:04

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:04
Just out of curiosity, one of the units we looked at had these 2 funny bars coming out of the back of the truck.

They came out from underneath the rear bumper, about half a foot or so, directly under each tail light. The bars were 40mm square, cut at a 45 degree downwards angle.

Does anyone know what these might be for? There were no holes or anything in them, so I don't think anything got bolted to them.

They look like they would make a good winching point, with a plate bolted on top of them, but aside from that, I have no idea..
AnswerID: 114520

Follow Up By: Jolly - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:20

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:20
Hi Mate...

Not for a kanga jack are they....
FollowupID: 370413

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:48

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:48
I have fitted a couple of points on each side of the towbar for the purpose of a high lift jacking point. It does give a reasonable and solid jacking point but be careful as high lift jacks can be very unstable
FollowupID: 370432

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 21:17

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 21:17
They are roo jack jacking points and arnt worth the money of having them put on. With suspension travel of 30cm to get a wheel off the ground and another 30cm minimum to get usefull hight out of the wheel and considering the points are probably nearly 60cm off the ground it makes a standard roo jack pretty innefective. Best option is hub lifters which lift the wheel straight off the ground
FollowupID: 370510

Reply By: JimB - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:34

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:34
G'day Chris,

I have a 98 GXL diesel and love it completely. It is the most capable vehicle, just amazing. Conscientious in servicing every 5,000k's - oil, and filters. It is live axle, which gives you greater articulation off road, not as good road holding on road. I understand that IFS isn't so reliable if it gets a bit of a hammering, torsion bar mounts and shockies suffer.

We've just made the decision to turbo ours as we reckon we'll keep it a lot longer, it costs a bucket load to upgrade, I would only upgrade to another straight diesel so the $3500 seems to be worth the investment. Main incentive there is that we tow a Heaslip camper sop that's another 1T behind. Other things we already have include b'bar, winch, dual batteries, OME suspension etc. Best thing mate.

IFS started in 2000 or 2001 with intro of factory turbo and then applied to the V8 when that was introduced to replace the 4500.

No regrets on our part ay.

JimB
AnswerID: 114638

Sponsored Links