Dust in cabin

Submitted: Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:36
ThreadID: 23617 Views:2131 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry I know this is a dumb question,
But I can't remember what to do to keep the dust out on a dusty road.
Do I keep the "air con" on recirculate or the fan off ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:43

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:43
Recirculate to pressureize the cabin.
AnswerID: 114516

Follow Up By: DARREN - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:28

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:28
Footloose, I think you are mistaken there, Recirculating air does not pressurize the cabin.

You want fresh air coming (and the fan on full ideally) which forces more air in hence pressurises the cabin. Employing this approach I went to Cape York in a new car and returned with very clean interior whist seeing others who's interiors were filthy.

You simply fick to recirculate when passing another car until the dusts clears.
If several cars in the group, wait until the dust clears in front before you go.

Use A/C to cool when needed - but the above is the important bit.
FollowupID: 370435

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:33

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:33
Recirculate will not pressurise cabin as no extra air is being introduced (so where would the pressure be coming from?) You need to have fresh air on and fan. This is essentailly pumping air into cabin and where ever there are leaks air will be forced out reducing dust intake. Different story if following someone - go to recirculate I supposes but you will have troubel not getting any dust. Never drive with window down if dust is a concern to you - it acts as a venturi sucking air out of cabin (reducing pressure) and thereby causing air and dust to be drawn in all the holes you may have in the car.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 370436

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:40

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:40
Interesting as I had always been taught recirculate. My experience on the Cape (5 trips) has been that bulldust stirred by the vehicle will attempt to enter the vehicle in any way that it can. In one case I watched the dust actually climbing up the side of the vehicle as the ruts became deeper.
Now I'm not sure if having the vehicle on fresh air would keep this dust out, as my suspicion is that the dust would simply be blown into the vehicle.
Also different vehicles appear to have better dust sealing than others.
Anyway I'll be away in 3 weeks and give it a go.
FollowupID: 370439

Follow Up By: DARREN - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:45

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:45
If you do the convoy thing you will get dust punished no matter what you do, but yes it would come in the vents when open. Pressure is they key, if you avoid the direct convoy thing and apply the above (diligently) I think you'll be very pleasantly suprised.
FollowupID: 370440

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:19

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:19
I would say it'd depend on whether you're following other vehicle/s which are kicking up dust. I always leave my air vent on fresh and switch to recirculate when an oncoming vehicle is coming towards me on a dusty road. When I'm in a convoy on a dusty track, I make a point of hanging back far enough to stay out of the dust; always thinking that whatever dust is coming in the cabin is also going into the aircleaner (not good).
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 114527

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:27

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:27
Hi

was told by a local Mazda dealer that their new cars let in a small percentage of fresh air even when on recirc. Not sure

. when this started happening
. if it applies to 4wds
. if other makes do this as well

Suspect hilux's do this based on experience on the cape.
AnswerID: 114563

Follow Up By: mattandlana - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:37

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:37
Rod,

As far as I know cars have always let in a small amount of air even when on "recirc" because otherwise (since cars have become so well sealed) the occupants would eventually suffocate!

I agree with the others that the car sucks a lot more dust when on recirc. In fact a dusty smell in the car is usually our first reminder that we forgot to go back to "fresh" after passing another car!

Matt
FollowupID: 370438

Reply By: Andy C - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:56

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:56
I use recirc that seems to work just fine!

But the trick I picked up was to put Blu-Tac on the drainage holes under all your doors (external to the rubber seal) to stop any entry of dust in the door cavity and subsequently the cabin through all the door bits and pieces!

This really works but just remember to remove the Blu-Tac when it rains or you'll end up with a door full of water - the slish slosh when you open or close the door should prompt you if you forget to remove it.

That happened to me once when it rained while bush and I emptied a fair bit of water from all the doors. If that much water can get in thru the window seals, how much "airborne" dust can get in thru the drainage holes (which are in the most dusty environment) and then empty into the cabin? Give it a go!

Andy
AnswerID: 114643

Reply By: G-wizz - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 19:00

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 19:00
It would be interesting to see the results from somebody testing both scenarios under the same conditions. I'm of the opinion that having the vent selected to fresh will pressurise the cabin slightly alright ......... with dusty air.
AnswerID: 114645

Sponsored Links