Navara clutch

Submitted: Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 19:48
ThreadID: 23647 Views:1914 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I've got an 03 TD Navara DC. Has anyone with one of these had any problems with the clutch on theirs?

Mine grabs when in reverse with a trailer and when in low four wheel drive in first and revers. Gets a bit embarassing when you start bunny hoping all over the place.

The only way I can get the clutch to slip in these situations is to keep the revs up to about 1800 rpm. Car has 60K on it.

thanks
Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: westBob - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 21:20

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 21:20
i have a 04 navara td 45000ks (very hard ks) clutch fine so far fingers crossed....
AnswerID: 114668

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 19:38
No strife with ours at 110,000 and I know of 5 other current model Navs with no probs. Sounds like either you have stuffed it or your handbrake has. Rus.
AnswerID: 114809

Reply By: Plumb - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 21:48

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 21:48
Hi Russ,
My 02' has 45000 and no probs as yet. I do tow with it quite often.
My business partner had his clutch replaced at 10000 as he burnt it out trying to reverse his caravan up his driveway. (he didn't use low range)
Nissan replace it free of charge.
Plumb.
AnswerID: 114827

Follow Up By: RussellP - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 21:56
Plumb,

My prob is that it's worse when I use low range, especially in reverse.

Local Nissan dealer says it's normal(?). I'm waiting for the "tech" to ring me to discuss it.

Should be fun.

Russell
FollowupID: 370639

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:20
Rus..mate sporry for saying this and please forgive me if I am out of line...but is this your first 4by? or first time with a manual and low range?

I have a feeling (without actually driving the veh!!!) that what you are describing is normal for a 4wd....please just ignore all else I have to say if you know for sure that it is NOT normal!!!

OK, there should be no need to slip the clutch in low range, esp not first or reverse, the gearing is soooo low that most times (without a load like mud, sand etc) the car will tend to lurch off the mark till the clutch fully engages and the revs settle. Itas all about the gearing...does it lurch or bunny hop in second when you take off in low range?

You might find that unless you are in some sticky stuff that its better to take off in 2nd (or even third)low range than first, I personally dont use first unless rock climbing or reversing a large trailer and yes it will still lurch and hop slighlty due to the massive reduction unless there is a load to settle the engagement.
Goodluck anyway, I hope you sort it out, it would be frustrating to say the least!

Matt.
AnswerID: 114835

Follow Up By: RussellP - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 19:57

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 19:57
Matt,

You're not out of line at all. Its good to get straight forward and honest advice.

It's not my first 4by. I previously had a Triton 4by for a few years before I got the Navara. The Triton didn't exhibit the clutch prob anywhere near as much as the Navara. Mind you, it didn't have the torque of the Navara.

Like you, I normally take off in second in low, however, there's only one reverse gear, and that's a shocker to use. It's actually worse with a load behind it in reverse (in both high and low). The wife reckons it's a great laugh to see me bounce it all over the place!!!

I'll keep looking into it and see what turns up.

thanks

Russell
FollowupID: 370722

Follow Up By: DARREN - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:21

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:21
Hi Russell,

After reading the above I am thinking along the same lines as Matt, when I first got my Patrol 2 years ago I had the same experience which is now resolved as I have learnt how to drive it.

To test my theory (unless you are on a big hill), when in 1st or Reverse LR just let the clutch out without touching the right pedal at all & I think you will find it will respond much happier.

Cheers

Darren
FollowupID: 370786

Sponsored Links