Patrol barn door position

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:24
ThreadID: 23656 Views:3377 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hello

i think my barn doors are making a rattle noise, i have a 35 spare on the rear would this weight affect the adjustment.

Does anyone know the best adjustment position for the rear barn doors, i find that i get it in the wrong position and the light flicks on and off
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:30
Brent - I think you may have exceeded the design limits of the door. They were designed to carry a 29" to 30" wheel and tyre combination and their associated weight..... not a 35". Not much difference in stress on the door and hinges when you're just parked - but travel down a bumpy , corrugated road and the load is multiplied. Not sure what a 35" tyre and wheel combo weighs, but it would have to be almost twice as heavy as a stock combo.

Maybe time to look at a Kaymar or similar rear tyre carrier?
AnswerID: 114725

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:23

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:23
I agree with Chrispy about the weight factor.
However, the light flickering on/off may have nothing to do with that. I have no spare on my rear door since fitting the Opp Lock dual spare carrier, but my interior light used to still come on at any time it pleased.
I unplugged the switches in both of the barn doors and now have no worries. When you think about it, there are very few occasions when you actually need the rear doors to activate the interior light.......you stop to get something out of the back; chances are you leave your own door ajar or open and that triggers the light/s anyway. Besides that, why did Nissan even bother putting a switch on the LARGER of the 2 doors? You have to open the small door first anyway, so the trigger switch on that door would turn the light on.....the switch on the big door serves no purpose.
Cya
Roachie
AnswerID: 114732

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 14:02

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 14:02
Roachie, on my GU the switch is on the little door, with door open it's on the bottom left corner and presses on the bottom of the big door.
FollowupID: 370574

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:54
G'day mate,
That's the same as mine, but I think you'll find there is one on the big door too. To check, try opening both barn doors so interior light is on. Now, press the rubber switch on the smaller door in all the way and see if the light goes off........on my truck it wouldn't, cos there is a switch (that you can't see) inside the latching mechanism of the bottom lock on the big door. I had to remove the vynal trim and unplug the cable (small white joiner which was within easy reach; didn't have to delve down into the bowles of the inside panel of the door). As I said, I also unpluged the other smaller door switch as well.
FollowupID: 370610

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:04

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:04
I just did as you said Roachie, with both doors open, press the switch on the little door and the light goes out.

I can see we will have to discuss this matter further in Birdsville, after a few beers all will become clearer.
FollowupID: 370657

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:23

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:23
Thanks mate,
Looking forward to Birdsville....one of my favourite towns.
Nissan must have woken up to their waste with that other switch and deleted it in post 2000 models.
Cya in about 4 weeks or so.
Roachie
FollowupID: 370668

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 14:16
Mine has now been adjusted , and otehr then when I have a double pram in the back (just needs to be slammed closed), no longer is a problem.

I hear though , its quite a common issue.

Have to agree though , 35's on the back door is doing it NO favours at all.
AnswerID: 114751

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 18:22

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 18:22
Yeah it bugged me for a while also. Even with the rear interior light switched off, the dash warning light still comes on. I figured the adjustment was too fine to fix so fixed the prob by sticking on a little round self adhesive spot pad that was approx 3mm thick, opposite where the trigger switch pressed on the body. Did the trick.

Re the rattle: check the top U catch on the big door, the plastic coating may be worn off where the catch clamps on.

Also, I carried a high lift jack on my spare wheel (Kamar bracket) and it caused (I believe) the door to fracture at a point near the bottom left of the big window pillar. It was serious s..... Nissan replaced the whole door under warranty & I did take the jack/bracket off before I took it in for their inspection. So, beware the extra weight.
AnswerID: 114799

Reply By: angler - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:06
My big door squeaks when being opened or closed. It's the stop thing about half way up the door on the hinge side. I reckon I have tried everything. The dealer can't fix it either. Chain saw oil works the best for about two weeks. I may have to remove the vinyl and see if something is wrong.
AnswerID: 114958

Reply By: HeyDad - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:31

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:31
Brent,
AnswerID: 115297

Reply By: HeyDad - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:38

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:38
Brent,
I have a 99 Patrol, just got it and have the same problem, or did have. Mine has 26K on the clock so it is not worn! The plastic guide block is dry, if you use some "dry lube " on it you will find it shuts easier, although it does need to be firm. Hold the door near the release catch that way the door will not be damaged. You can slam it from halve way open and it will spring out 2k down the road. use the dry lube and its fixed!

Regards
HeyDad
AnswerID: 115299

Sponsored Links