Christie Engineering Generator

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2368 Views:6889 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heres some info from Pete Christie on them from the Patrol list. Ive seen people around here mention them before, so from the horses mouth.

$990 + freight. It was never $500. They cost more than that to
make! :)

They are a 50cc Honda 4 stroke motor coupled to a Bosch 55A
alternator which gives around 700W max. It has an LCD display for
amps and a boost charge setting. Be warned though they aren't quiet
ie.. not reccomended for caravan parks. But the beauty is they are
light (12kg) and you only need to run it for an hour each day to run
the fridge for the next 24!

We have sold over 500 units now and really only 1 or 2 complaints so
they sent the unit back and their money happily refunded.

Solar panels are great... if you want to spend the money and also
cart them around. they are still round $10 a watt.
$500 won't get you anything in solar (that would do anything)

Ring Mick (Christie) on 02 96201208 and annoy him... he is looking
after business while the parents are away on a hard earned holiday.
There are also a number of distributors around who sell them for the
same price. (pirahna.. TJM.. Opposite lock.. some ARB's).Mick has the
list and should find someone near you, at least you can have a look
at one even if they are out of the price bracket.

Pete...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
However, with solar their is no maintainence, no fuel, no noise, no pollution. $576 x 2 = $1152 will give you 2 x BP SX60 panels which should last for 25 years. That will give you 120w of power, which will more than run your fridge even in mid-winter, your camp lights, your radio, CD player or whatever.
http://www.coiltek.com.au/Products/solar_panels.htm

I am presently building a new generator, as I just sold my old one last week. I have just received a new GX25 Honda motor, and will connect that to a Lucas C40 generator direct coupled with a 3 barrel regulator. A generator is the best battery charger, and far superior to an alternator, especially for deep cycle batteries.
I use this for work, not for taking with my 4WD. The finished product will only weigh 8kg complete, and is just a little longer than a shoebox.
I will post some pictures as soon as I finish it.
AnswerID: 8527

Follow Up By: Kevin - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
I would love to see the pic and some details when finished
FollowupID: 4162

Reply By: colin - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
so what is the point of this christie unit as the alternator is the same as any alt in any 4x4, i have a diesal patrol i run an explorer fridge freezer, fluro lights, and a cd player, i go camping for long periods, and have never had a flt batt. Each day i run the car for about an hour or go for a drive, and amazing no flat batt, no carrying a genny and petrol, less weight and no exspense of a genny. Col

ps i do have a dual batt. system with a manual marine terminal to isolate one batt.
AnswerID: 8566

Follow Up By: Lkpatrol - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
Colin,

The point of the Christie generator is that it can supply full amperage output from the attached alternator. The alternator in a vehicle will only supply max amps for a very short period, after which the voltage regulator kicks in and reduces the amps going to the battery down to trickle charge. this designed to prolong the life of the battery as most car batteries won't tolerate charging at high amps, with the exception of Optima type batteries, whaich are the ideal for use with the Christie unit.- At trickle charge rate it can take 12 or more hours to bring a battery up to full charge - most people don't want to leave the car running for that long !
You must be doing well to be keeping your battery charged with the method you mention - Not many people would manage this when camping in one spot for a week or more - unless their fridge is drawing very low amps, and they have excellent batteries, or are going for a reasonably long drive every few days.
FollowupID: 4180

Reply By: colin - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
LK, your last paragraph summed it up, my fridge only draws 3 amps, and has excellent insulation. I run 2 yuasa deep cycle batt. each 700 cca. I only run the car on an average 1.5 hrs a day about 800 revs and have had no problems at all. Col
AnswerID: 8576

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
I'm confused. (Silly admission, I know)

If the Christie weighs 12 kg and costs around a thousand bucks, why wouldn't I buy a 7 kg Light Horse for $550 and get 240 volt outlet as part of it?

Don't they use the same Honda engine?
AnswerID: 8582

Sponsored Links