City Navigator Ver6

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:27
ThreadID: 23700 Views:1741 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Not sure if the Garmin users here are aware that CN ver 6 is now out. Upgraded the other day and certainly has more detail and lots more POI's than ver5
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:00

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:00
Hiya Kiwi I just bought ver 5 in April and have been told I can upgrade free how/when/etc did you do your upgrade? Any tips?

Thanx GWBonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115374

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 20:59

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 20:59
Bonz

You get a couple (I think) digital 'coupons' when you first buy CN. These entitle you to one or two free upgrades. I have already used my free upgrades so had to purchase the latest upgrade. When you get the free disc from GME (or one of their re-sellers - TJM fro example) you simply put into your drive it will auto run and go through the install process but then takes you to Garmin website where it checks if you ahve already got a leagl copy and then if you have used up your free upgrades, asks for your credit card details etc. Once you do all that it takes you to the unlock page at Garmin where your unit # is cross checked with their database and if all is in order it will unlock the maps. When you open mapsource you will see both ver5 and ver6 in the map drop down at the top left of mapsource. Makes interesting comparisons to go to a point on a map and then 'toggle' between the 2 versions to see the changes. The list of POI's is much bigger in ver6 than ver5

Hope this helps
FollowupID: 371080

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:56
Bonz
A bit more info for you:

The upgrade comes in two parts, the CDrom and the unlock code. The CD is free, either from us or from GME (02 9844 6666). The unlock code must be acquired from Garmins unlock web page - www.garmin.com/unlock/

If you purchased City Navigator or a GPS that came with City Navigator, on or after 1 April 2005, there is no charge for the unlock code. If you purchased your current copy of City Navigator prior to April 1, the unlock code can be purchased direct from Garmin USA via their web page at a cost of US$125 (approx A$176). For customers that don't want to supply their credit card information over the web, please contact us directly. We will purchase an unlock code on your behalf but you must supply us with your GPS Serial number (8 digits) and your 8 digit coupon code or 7 digit registration code:

FollowupID: 371335

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:58
thanx I read that on the GPSOz site mate, calling them as we speak
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 371337

Sponsored Links