stone guards

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2371 Views:1611 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I recently lost the back window of my gu patrol to a stone bouncing off the front of my caravan and I would like to make something that will offer some protection against this problem. I already have some perspex to tape to the windows but I don't have a lot of room on the draw bar to mount the barriers such as you see on the camping trailers etc.

Can anyone suggest anything extra,

thanks peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Peter,

you could fit a full length rubber strip across the back under the bumper nearly touching the road or fit small link chains across the back the same way full length and down to the ground.

The chains could be the same as sink plug chain or similar. I think the chains would actually be better as it lets the air flow through without causing drag to your fuel economy.
Fit the chains to a piece of small alloy channel or a length of timber and attach under rear of your vehicle.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave
AnswerID: 8537

Reply By: peter - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks dave I will have a look at that idea

regards peter
AnswerID: 8538

Reply By: johnsy - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Peter Ive seen a couple of gu's that have a plastic tarp attached to the transport tie downs on the rear of the wagon and to a cross bar under the a frame .To compensate when turning ie one side tight the other slack they had ocky straps linked on the outside of the tarp.Seemed to work ok and would stop drag as its all horizontal,hope that gives you another idea. johnsy
AnswerID: 8543

Reply By: Mr Bean - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
Hi peter,
I've had the same problem before and found a tailor made product called "Obie's Outback rear window saver" it works, its cheap, it's practical. what more could you ask for? Type the name I just gave you in your search engine and Bob's your uncle.
AnswerID: 8553

Reply By: lizard - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Fully endorse previous respondents comments - we bought Obie's rear window saver - unfortunately after likewise losing rear window of GU Patrol
AnswerID: 8554

Reply By: Janset - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Hi guys.

I recently purchased an Jayco Outback and the thought of broken rear window has been very present on my mind.

I have looked at the Obie as suggested, but I think I can overcome the problem a lot cheaper.

For those who are interested, this is what I intend to do.

I have a 75 series troopie. Across the rear of the roof above gutter and the 2 barn doors I have pop riveted a section of aluminium track that takes the bolt rope for a rear sun awning. (already fitted)

I intent to get a strip of sewn bolt rope from the local awning maker the length equivalent to the width of the troopie. This sewn bolt rope has a small flap hanging from it that is used to sew the canvas or whatever to it.

To this flap I intend to screw a section of clear perspex with a number of screws which will allow the perspex to hand down the back of the vehicle covering the rear window.

To stop it from flapping about whilst travelling I will fit a number of suction cups that will stick to the window glass.

When I wish to use the rear doors, all that I would have to do is to ease off the suction cups and flip the suspended perspex sheet up onto the roof out of the way.

Any comment to this idea are welcome.

Regards
AnswerID: 8556

Follow Up By: Peter - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but would like to pass on that I have tried suction caps and after two/three days they flatten out and don't stick anymore, so you might like to trial them first before doing anything to permanent.

Peter
FollowupID: 4167

Reply By: Janset - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Peter.
Yes a good point and I think I would have to agree, but the suction cups would only be there to stop the perspex from flapping about and would not take any load as that would be the job of the bolt rope.

If the suction caps don't work, I could use plan "B".

I have a couple of S/S saddles pop riveted to the corner pillars one on each side about half way down the door frame that I use to secure the rear awning. I suppose I could drill a couple of holes on the bottom corners of the perspex and tie a piece of string between here and the saddles.

Regards
AnswerID: 8558

Reply By: Blackie - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

This fits in with the Jayco sealing query. Ive seen a camper trailer (box type) fitted with a sheet of shadecloth
which extends from the back of the A-frame to the front. if you fitted this under the A-frame, secured it to rods at either end it would clear the rear of the vehicle when turning. At least on mine it would. This approach keeps stones away from your van and your window. Individual set ups would require appropriate modifications of course. I can direct you to picture if you wish.
AnswerID: 8562

Follow Up By: Peter - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Blackie,

This idea appears to be the most popular and will defently be looked at in earnest.

Thanks Peter
FollowupID: 4173

Follow Up By: Janset - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
Yes Blackie, a picture if possible please.
Regards
FollowupID: 4186

Reply By: Blackie - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
To view the picture get on the yahoo campertrailer site (sorry about the promotion) look up the miscellaneous file in the photo section.
AnswerID: 8592

Reply By: Bob - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
Covering rear windows may stop breakage but you will still get stone chips in paintwork, very messy.
I fitted shade cloth from under rear bumber to front lower section of van using occy strap rubber.
This keeps all gravel down and also reduces dust cloud at rear of vehicle.
Last trip included Plenty, Tanami, GRR, Gulf Road etc,and no stone damage.
Previous trip using only stone guard fitted to van resulted in broken rear window and severe stone chip damage on rear panels.
Regards
Bob
AnswerID: 8599

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply this idea appears to have the most merit and I am looking at it in earnest.

Peter
FollowupID: 4326

Reply By: Michael - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Peter, Which rear window did you break and what did it cost to replace? Is it only available as a genuine part? Ive had few rocks off my trailer onto the back window luckily not broken.. The cost may shock me into being a little proactive and fit some protection. Regards Michael
AnswerID: 8780

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Michael,

First up I drive a gu patrol and the rear small window cost aprox $760 and the bigger window I was told costs in the area of $1000. Apparently there is only one manufacturer and chargers accordingly.

The price has a lot to do with the demister element that adds to the cost, and of course what vehicle you have.

Hope this helps

Peter
FollowupID: 4325

Sponsored Links