HF Radios for Sale

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:37
ThreadID: 23717 Views:7270 Replies:8 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks,

Have heard that Mt Isa School of the Air, are selling all their HF's, after changing to telephones for all lessons.

Don't know how many they have, or what cost, but most would be late model Codans (not crystal tuned sets) such as 8525's or later. Have been meticulously maintained, and except for the odd drop of chalk and glue, would be an excellent buy.

Ring School ph: 07 47448 333 for info.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:52

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:52
School of the Telephone eh!
AnswerID: 115043

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 13:36

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 13:36
Yeah!!! How Phoney can they get!!!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 370821

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:04

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:04
hehe...boom boom...good one!
FollowupID: 370824

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:17

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:17
LOL, good one, Ray.

For you amateurs, it would be the School of Digital Radio Concentrator Systems!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 370829

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 17:59
LOL, School of the Air sounds great Bob but somehow School of the Telephone just doesn't have the same ring to it :)
FollowupID: 370853

Follow Up By: Elsewhere9 - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:44

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:44
Shouldn't it be "School of the Wire"?

Or maybe School of the Copper"?

Cheers,
Greg
FollowupID: 370871

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:20

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:20
Yes Greg point taken. Still doesn't sound right though.

The damn telephone drives me nuts these days, always someone trying to sell something. Some mob rings up and immediately put me on hold, they gotta be nuts if they think I will hang around wasting my time listening to junk music till they get to me. Then there's the very professional voice telling me it's my lucky day having an opportunity to win a prize...clunk, hang up. Then I get...we are going to send you a free CD...neato I say, what band...no no...A CD about property investment....oh I need a computer...sorry haven't got one of those...bye
It goes on and on.....
FollowupID: 370886

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 16:18

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 16:18
I can beat that one ray.

I get one saying "This message was intended to be taken by an answering machine... Goodbye"...

Whats better, I got the same message ON the answering machine...

also get the put on hold as soon as you answer thing.. I just leave the phone layin there next to the keyboard until I hear it hang up. They can listen to me playin games
FollowupID: 371006

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:55

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:55
School of the Air is now being called in most states
"The Distance Learning Centre" Using broadband satellite with Web Cams so the whole class can see the teacher and each other.

Did the tour of the Alice Springs School of the Air last year, a very interesting tour indeed and at that time they only had a couple of outer stations still to complete their Sat Installations, Probably done by now I guess. Then they said their base would not be using HF anymore.
This Sat upgrade is part of the Fed Governments commitment to upgrading communications in the bush before the final sale of Telstra.

Same with the RFDS at Alice and Broken Hill both said that they had so few people using HF for medical use that they would soon be switching the system off so to speak, All done by phone now.

VKS members in trouble call the VKS base who then phone the RFDS for the required help.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 371284

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:47
Going by overseas experience during times of disaster I don't think it's such a good idea placing complete reliance on comms with sats and microwave links and recently some small Pacific Island nations were completly isolated from the rest of the world for a few days when a major sat had a malfunction, that wasn't well publicised at all.

VKS members can talk to the RFDS direct through a telephone patch, just hit the correct selcall number and you'll be patched through automatically.
FollowupID: 371296

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:04

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:04
Jeezz, the market now seems to be awash with HF radios. I only wish I had waited before I bought mine!!
AnswerID: 115065

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:29

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:29
'Lo, Bob. Bit of a panic here - hadn't finished all the washing and thought there was some pigeon droppings - but it's rain droppings - not many but great grey clouds! Yahoo. You going to Marree for the Big Weekend (Races and end of Cattle Drive)?
AnswerID: 115070

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:25

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:25
G'day Ruth,

Rain,eh? Yeah, I've heard about that stuff!

No joy here this year for that stuff, not as bad you folk, but have only had 68mm for the year. Have heaps of Ricko's cattle here too, but he didn't want 'em back the other day, after he got 20mm.

Not flat out, but too busy here to get to Maree, that's what I'm saving retirement for.

Funny weather of late, warm at moment, but has been cool. Haven't even pulled on a jacket this winter.

See ya..

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 370870

Reply By: mfewster - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 17:56

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 17:56
Careful with these. If you want to install in a 4wd, make sure you aren't buying a base set.
AnswerID: 115099

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 19:48

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 19:48
Please advise what one needs to be careful of.

These are all "base sets", but were run on power supplies, or to a lesser extent, 12 volt batteries.

Please explain....?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 370868

Follow Up By: mfewster - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:05

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:05
Apologies Bob, my comment was too brief. I think some of the later discussion in the thread very adequately cover the issues that buyers need to consider.
FollowupID: 371254

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 00:45

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 00:45
You really, really want a remote head unit to install in a vehicle. A local head unit is almost useless for mobile comms as the control panel is on the end of the body of the transceiver - about the size of a small briefcase - and really only practical to mount in the back somewhere.

A remote head means the control panel and mic is up front with you and you can mount the transceiver anywhere practical for you - under the seat, in the cargo area, behind the rear fold down passenger seat (in dual cab like mine)

Also allow for the fact that you will need it reprogrammed and that anything prior to an 8528 is nearly useless as the channel number is all that is displayed and you need to carry a list with you. Older models are also unsupported by codan for membrane keypads and the like.

Also if they have been used as a base you would need to get a mobile antenna such as a tapped whip or autotune. If they have been a base they may not have had the optional autotune control board fitted depending on the model.

They will invariably need to be reprogrammed with more 4wd/traveller oriented frequencies at a cost of about $80-100 per unit.

If they are 8525 series stuff I'd forget about it. Many will be bought on spec and will start appearing on ebay if they haven't already. There's a guy flogging 4 local controll 8525's without mobile antenna's on there at the moment who knows nothing about what he's selling - coincidence?? There's 2 versions of the 8525 - the A & B versions. If they are an A version forget it completely. If they are a B version they are sort of usefull. If they are 8528's with the autotune board and preferably remote head they are the earliest model worth buying, and anything 9323 onwards will be good gear.

If you are interested there is an equipment broker in Melbourne at the moment who has a batch of ex Telstra 9323's and some 9350 autotunes. Some of the 9323's are even New in Box! Our tax payers dollars at work...

They start around $1500 for the second hand ones and go up over $2200 for the new ones. PM me if you are interested and I'll chase up a web link. They will still need to be reprogrammed with a 4wd/travel profile.

I also have an 8528 in perfect nick (membrane imaculate) and 8558 in which I have just pulled out of the courier which I am open to offers on before I put it on ebay. It has a good 4wd frequency profile with all the usual freq's. I am selling it due to the fact that I shelled out some sheckels to Footloose and aquired a 9323 a few months ago. (Tax return burnt a hole in my pocket.)

Hope that helps someone. I just started typing and got carried away.

Dave
AnswerID: 115159

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:00

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:00
??? the last late model codan I saw had most of the functions on the mike
FollowupID: 370967

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:14

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:14
That's the NGT. If you can afford one new, or if you find one second hand go for it. I have had some (including operators of VKS737) say that they need a pilots license to operate and that the 9323 is much easier but I can't really comment.

I can't afford one. I know footloose picked a couple up on ebay a little while ago - they don't often come up secondhand. If he's on he may comment.

The second hand ones on ebay went for about the same price with NO antenna as a good 9323 with an antenna. Apparently their suppression of background noise is fantastic.

I'll stick with my 9323 thanks. I didn't steal any gold on the way back through Kalgoorlie :o(

Dave

FollowupID: 370969

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:37

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:37
We had 0.2mml.
AnswerID: 115175

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 20:59

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 20:59
They have 40 8525's for sale. Don't have prices or whether they are remote or local or whether they are A or B series or mixed. Don't know whether they have Selcal either.

Unless they were a B series with Selcal I'd give them a miss. And then you'd still have the local/remote issue. And having been base sets they are bound to be locals and therefore seriously difficult to mount somewhere useful.

Dave
AnswerID: 115289

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:02

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:02
Dave,

Have just returned from the Isa this arvo, and if I'd had more time yesterday arvo, could have gone up and inspected a few, and posted here.

I haven't had much to do with Codans since we got the phone on in '92, and put in a UHF repeater a few years later. Do have an 8525 A series, which we won in an RFDS raffle, and it has been one of the better Codans we have used.

Dave, I realise you mean well with your replies, as to reliability/usefulness of these radios, but I was aiming the original post at the EO members who wanted an HF for emergencies, daily VKS737 skeds, and maybe some radphone use. They might have a troopy, or large 4WD, and could mount it in the rear, or on the cargo barrier. Not everyone wants to have their HF on all day, and judging by some comments on later model common rail diesels. you can't hear signals, while engine is running anyway.

Also, auto-tune aerials on radios of this vintage, would be an expensive extra purchase. Better a Terlin multi tap whip, that would be marginally more robust in a vehicle rollover, than an auto aerial.

Case of "caveat emptor"?

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 371066

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 00:57

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 00:57
Hi Bob,

Point taken though I am of the era where latin wasn't taught at school so the last bit lost me :o)

If anyone was interested Frankston amateur radio club do a great tapped whip at a very good price and have them specifically for VKS &RFDS frequencies.

Certainly if you have a place to mount them they are still a workable item like you suggest though you won't be able to direct dial on them and it would be really useful if they were of the variety with selcal.

So long as the price was exceptional - because even the tapped whip with base and spring isn't going to be cheap unless you pick one up second hand with the right frequencies on it - they are potentially worth purchasing.

But say the radio was $300, reprogramming was $80-100 (Telstat or similar charge about this to burn a standard eeprom), the base spring and antenna about $300 (FAMPARC) or more for name brand, plus postage at about $20, its all starting to add up. At least they aren't old crystal locked boxes and they can be affordably reprogrammed. I have seen many people buy the crystal version only to find out reprograming 5 frequencies is going to cost more than they paid for the radio.

You can buy a remote 8528 and tapped whip for less than a grand on ebay if you watch it for a while and wait patiently, and get a remote 8528 and autotune for between $1000 & $1400 depending on the age of the autotune.

I'm not suggesting people don't buy them, someone will. Just making sure people know what they are doing as I have horse traded in HF gear a bit. I've had wins and I've been burnt a couple of times. But there's nothing worse than buying something that either won't do what you wanted or finding out that there's so much more you can do if you had spent an extra couple of hundred bucks. (eg. Radtel direct dial, selcal fellow travellers and bases, selcal preprogrammed support services etc.)

In all likely hood the fact that they are for sale is likely to mean VKS737 will pick up another 40 members or a good portion there of and maybe a few new people will be introduced to the joys of travelling as a member of the HF radio community. You aren't as alone out there as you think.

Just tonight on the Alice Springs sched they were helping a bloke on the Mitchell River somewhere organise a new radiator for his vehicle. Other members were relaying for the guy in trouble and probably by tomorrow mornings sched he'll have a solution or be very close to it as a result of being a member of what I personally think is one of the best communities on the road.

You can always leave it on 8022 and put an extension speaker in the front. You never know when you may be able to be of immense assistance to a fellow traveller just down the road a few km or maybe more. Heck it could be me!

Travel safely and go with HF :o)

For more info on the 4wd radio network go to VKS737's web page at www.vks737.on.net

Dave
FollowupID: 371095

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:25

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:25
Dave,

Thanks reply, sounds like you know the Codans well. Feel that anyone interested in one of these, would be well-armed to do a deal with School of Air, with the ample amount of info you've posted.

RF Industries also make good multi tap aerials, or at least they used to.

No latin scholar either, Dave, but 'caveat emptor' means buyer beware.

Am aware of vks737 network, and have heard nothing but praise for it. Sounds like the camaraderie of the (regrettably) now extinct RFDS/outpost network. While the medical section is still strong, (we've had 2 evacs, one at night, in last 6 weeks) the "bush community" departed, as the last of the DRCS phones were installed.

Thanks Dave,

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 371106

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 15:35

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 15:35
Buyer beware applies to most of such purchases. At least these are coming from a fairly reliable source. Maybe interested people could tempt Footloose to organise a bulk purchase, reprogram them and distribute them to the individuals for a small fee... it may not be an option though as he is heading off soon. (Sorry to drop you in it Jim.)

Dave
FollowupID: 371138

Reply By: angler - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:28

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:28
A 9323 aerial plugs straight into an 8528 and works fine. No need for the tuning unit. The newer aerial has an inbuilt preamp and thats where they pick up the extra low noise figure. I have an 8528 and would like the later aerial however it work with the old one quite well.
I did hear the 9323 radio could not be programmed with optiopn A which is for amateur use (low band as well as high band).

A Mr whippy badge to anyone who know what CODAN stands for.

Think army !!!
AnswerID: 115296

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 00:32

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 00:32
You just have to remove the AD board that controls the older 8558 autotune first. I beleive the Amateur option requires a very special and difficult to get password to access. So I've been told...

I'll bet Footloose could get the Mr Whippy badge.

Dave
FollowupID: 371090

Sponsored Links