Steel rims versus alloy rims

Submitted: Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2376 Views:7628 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have read/heard that for off roading it is better to have steel rims than alloy rims. Is this true? If it is correct, can anyone explain why?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
Steel wheels can be belted straight after bending (which is a possibility when using lower pressures). Alloy can crack if scratched (so I've heard-and don't doubt). Steel are cheaper to replace. Split rims are only available in steel. Steel can be refinished more easily.
AnswerID: 8572

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
I would not even consider an alloy rim for off-road use.

If I had a 4WD that I used for beach work only, then alloy would acceptable.
FollowupID: 4185

Reply By: Glen - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Leigh,

This is a statement that I hear often and it makes me laugh. " The government only run steel split rims so they must be the best.".........

They have steel splits because they just buy the basic model which gets trashed by many different drivers and traded in at 50000 kms. This does not make steel any better than alloys. It takes quite a whack to bend a steel wheel but a even bigger whack to straighten one with a
hammer to make it useable again. ( you always hear it but never known any one to actually do it)
Yes some hard core drivers use steel but they can custom make their own rims by cutting and welding steel but have known many hard core people to use alloys as well with no bad results.
Alloy is lighter and therefore in therory puts less load on the drive train and CV joints. I have travelled allover Central Australia on Alloys and the occasional competition and the worst thing that has happened is that I have scratched one of them on a rock.
I would not say that alloy is better than steel or steel is better than alloy, they are just different.The new alloys around now for 4wds are stronger than the early ones. But of course they are more expensive, but can add the finishing touch to make the car look the way you want it.
I have just got my new 4wd complete with alloy wheels and will continue to see this wonderfull country i am sure without a problem. If you are trying to decide between them choose what you want because apart from price and weight they will both do the same job.
Happy travels. Glen
AnswerID: 8655

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Used splits for many years in demanding off-road and cross-country situations, never a problem with the rims and easy to repair punctures.
Also used ordinary steel rims without problems.
Had to straighten one once on a car, crossing the Nullarbor in the 60s. worked OK with big hammer and block of wood.
Seen a number of alloys fractured.
For me, no contest really - wouldn't even think about alloys.
AnswerID: 8665

Sponsored Links