Patrol TB45 Thurst

Submitted: Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:55
ThreadID: 23766 Views:10236 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a 99 GU TB45,"stop LOL" I wanted a TD4.2 but in sufficient $$. So a 99 Mod with 26k on the clock it is. (It had been never used)
Anyway have you been able to curb your TB45's thirst and what / who did it.
My investigations indicate that I can have
1. the ECM altered and tuned on the dyno
2. hyclones
3. Extractors & another exhaust
I'm quite Mech minded and have pondered all. At this point all I've done is removed the aircleaner feed tubing to the semi sealed inner guard (slight improvement)

Any comments appreciated.
You know all reports are good until you put one in the garage, bit late now!
Regards
HeyDad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 08:23

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 08:23
I've got a GU 4500, it's a great bit of gear, really don't know what you're on about Hey Dad. Mine gets 19l/100km's when hammered, 4 or 5 extra bucks per hundred k's hardly worth crying about when you're saving many thousands on initial purchase price and get the improved driveability of a petrol. Service intervals are halved too which a big consideration.

Out of the recent crop of large 4x4's, reliability and longevity of the TB45E is second to none (except for the naturally aspirated Toyota 1HZ diesel). Don't have to believe me, talk to the blokes at your local Nissan Parts counter, just ask them what bits and pieces they commonly sell for TB45's. Not much I bet. Try finding the achilles heel of the TB45E and let me know what you come up with. They're ceratinly not a rocket ship, but they get along surprisingly well and cruise beautifully. Off road, well I haven't been stuck yet and have left a lot of anaemic diesels struggling behind (or stuck) on hill climbs.

4.2 TD. Great motor, rock solid, but some have had issues (overheating, piston skirts etc).
3.0 TDI. Disaster area, just do a search the archives here and you'll soon get the picture.

After years of faultless service, I'm about to replace mine with the 4.8 as I've been so happy with petrol Patrol. (for the record, I also own a diesel Cruiser so I'm not biased either way. In fact, I'd buy a 1HZD-TE (?) Toyota turbo diesel tomorrow if they didn't have the fatal flaw of IFS and hilux diffs)

Another option for your new GU, with just 26,000km's on the clock, sell it to me!

AnswerID: 115329

Follow Up By: HeyDad - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:08

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:08
Thanks for the advice,
I too have a Diesel an 82 MQ since new and with the reliability of it hope to get the same from the GU. The main bug was that it goes some what dead "flat spot" from 2200 to 3000 rpm. Yep it pulls well upto 2200 and thats how its driven by me BUT its the boss's vehicle used mainly to ferry kids and well it gets driven in the "dead zone". I suspect that this is the cause of the poor fuel, but from what you indicate I'm probably expecting too much from it. ( My expectation had been 14l /100 on a run without dragging anything. Currently about 17)
Anyway I won't be lumping it yet, so yep just have to putup!. You are right it is a good machine.
I have heard lots of neg about the 3.0. Brother is a truck driver and reports of nearly always stopped and bonnet up are 3.0 TDI. That's what you get when you try to get HP from no cubics.
Just befor I go, does your TB45 have a flat spot?

Regards
HeyDad
FollowupID: 371190

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 22:53

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 22:53
>>> " My expectation had been 14l /100 on a run without dragging anything"
Seriously? from a huge 6 cyl petrol donk with a 2+ton truck?

>>> Currently about 17/100
Don't argue with that, I was going to buy my mates 4.5GU $22k 80,000klms on it, but then he told me he usually get 22/100 driving to work and back, and worse offroad, and it was on LPG..

4.5s are going for nothing these days amazing really... great value for an engine swap I think....
$10-13k for the conversion to a 6.5 chev turbo diesel, sell the 4.5 petrol to some competition hack for $5-7k to offset the conversion, and it aint bad !!!
FollowupID: 371247

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:59

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:59
Extractors, exhaust , and a Unichip , bring great results on the 4.5.

Forget the hiclone.

Best I have got on mine was 15/100 on highway , usually average about 17/100, towing my CT is between 20 and 22/100 with worst of 26/100 , and that was towing in sand.
AnswerID: 115662

Sponsored Links