for the farmers

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 01:20
ThreadID: 23790 Views:1942 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
listerning to the radio in the truck the other day. i heard that mc donalds are now inporting their potatoes in from over seas. you may think so what.. but i was shocked to learn that by them [mc donalds] doing this it will take 40 million dallars out of the farming communities across australia mainly tasmainia. BIG KICK IN THE GUTS I RECKON.. i also learn'd that the only grower in australia of the green things that everyone throws has told mc donalds to stick their 4 million dallar a year contract in protest. i say good on him.. so ive now deleted mc donalds from the families take away menu. that mite not mean jackbleepto them but if more do the same it mite just help the farmers a bit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 05:40

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 05:40
Good on you Jim. I wasn't exactly a big customer of MacDonalds but I'll be a zero customer now and I'll e-mail them to say why.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 115406

Reply By: wallypop - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 05:42

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 05:42
my family and i are doing the same thing jim so your not alone out there and good on the p....ckle man
AnswerID: 115407

Reply By: Member - Foxer - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 06:40

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 06:40
Couldn't agree with you more Jim, but going past the local Mcdonalds on Saturday AM it was chockers with holiday makers, never seen it busier. Wait till they drop Aussie beef and start importing that!!!
Foxer
AnswerID: 115410

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 13:14

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 13:14
I dont' beleive Maccas uses Australian beef.

I understand there is an overseas company called '100% Australian beef', which means niether the meat is 100% beef (because we all know it's not) nor it is Australian owned or Australian beef. They are not lying though when they say they are 100% Australian Beef patties because that's the name of the company that they source from.

If it s not true then it's a good rumour anyway

D-JAck
FollowupID: 371130

Follow Up By: Member - Foxer - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:58

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:58
D-JAck
from Mcdonalds web site they buy Australian beef from Australian farmers
Foxer
FollowupID: 371214

Reply By: Moggs - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:23

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:23
I feel for the Australian suppliers to McDonalds, but......

The Australian Agricultural Industry is always harping on about free trade and the ability to access off-shore markets without having to compete against subsidised products. This is a double edged sword. You cannot have it both ways.

If McDonalds can source produce at a better rate than what the Australian farmers can supply it at then good luck to them. It is business for McDonalds - not a matter of loyalty to the Australian agricultural industry.

Just because McDonalds is a huge and successful compnay shouldn't mean that they are obliged to pay more for something than necessary. They are a large employer of Australian workers, they do a lot of charity work - basically they do their bit for Australia.

In addition, I used to work for a large agricultural company that used to jump up and down about subsidised US produce - hurting the Australian producers etc. They did however have no quams about sourcing machinery and product from overseas to grow this product - without a thought to the impact on local suppliers of machinery / fertiliser etc.

To me it seems it is a bit hypocritical to bag McDonalds when Australian farmers play the same game.
AnswerID: 115411

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:43

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:43
Hi Moggs, yes, the potatoes are coming in from our cousins in New Zealand or perhaps the Eastern States of Australia where we in the dairy industry accept them as "nearly equals".

I chose not to eat McDonalds as I like food prepared for me and tasty. Their toilets are clean though so I have bought some fries twice in my life.

Australian farmers don't have much control what machinery they use for harvest or plant as there is an unprotected market for that. They are right to scream of the protection in the US, the EU and Japan. NZ incidently gave government wink and a nod to poor dairy equipment though back in the late 70s I am aware of for sale to Australia as well as their own, giving it a free kick it should not have had.

That was a grand trip mate, we are still talking about it. Hope the family are well and you may pop this way some time soon.
FollowupID: 371100

Follow Up By: Member - Jim M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:51

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:51
Understand what your saying, but we are in a serious dought here, and times are tough for them, and it is serious when one farmer is committing suicide every week due to this very thing, ( free trade agreement was force apon us with big bussinesses, and big bussinesses have interest oversea's).
FollowupID: 371102

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:19

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:19
Hi John, yep, I also had a ball on the trip. Was great to meet you and Heather and I look forward to pop in to say hello sometime in the near future. Hope all is well and you are enjoying some rain. BTW, I like the addition of Moses :)

Jim, I agree times are tough for farmers. I am a big supporter of Australian farmers and would like nothing more than to see them dominate their respective markets.

Just to clarify, I agree that farmers should lobby against protectionism. I don't know as much about this area as many here - however if there is going to be healthy debate over McDonalds decision to source product o/s then it needs to be balanced with the McDonalds perspective. If I was running the McDonalds business (or any other business for that matter) I would be seeking the cheapest source of product if the quality / grade was equal amongst the choices. It seems that because it is related to farming in this instance that a decision to boycott McDonalds is an emotive one with consideration to the hardship farmers are facing with the drought. I just think it is worthy of note that McDonalds are trying to run a business as well as they can. With this in mind though, would people be willing to pay more for their McDonalds if they sourced locally produced product at a higher expense???? Maybe...but knowing McDonalds, this was probably considered and discounted as a viable alternative.

Anyway, I hope that the local producers can regain the McDonalds contracts if they are able to meet freight/prodcut pricing issues.
FollowupID: 371105

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:35

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:35
Jim M the spuds were coming from Tasmania previous to the current agreement with McDonalds. Whilst they are Australian, the Australia and New Zealand Closer Economic Relations Trade Agreement (known as CER) entered into force from 1983. A lot of intertwining of relationships has occurred since then - the most recent being the announcement this last week of Fonterra buying the final parts of Bonlac they didn't own, and announcing the purchase of Nestle dairy production assets at the same time.

Yes, there has been drought and is drought across parts of Australia and McDonalds may also want to ensure their supply too. Jim I am not sure of sources on the suicide stastics and I make no comment. I do have some interest in rural health and policy issues though.

I don't totally agree with Moggs but am aware that farmers do want to source where they can. The protectionist groups effect the prices of commodity of dairy, beef, sugar, grains. I do reserve the right trading in the area of dairy in the world to be able to offset my purchase price of grain by using the pressure of imports against extortionist prices charged by the large single desk exporter for grain from Australia. They screwed the livestock industries just three years ago, dairy included.
FollowupID: 371107

Reply By: Nudenut - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:45

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:45
its not just potatoes

Orange growers are also suffering I believe due to imports

Then we have cheaper vegetables from China, grown with water from raw sewage?
AnswerID: 115424

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 14:21

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 14:21
Macca's may be getting cheapa produce from overseas but I will reason that they will not lower their prices in line with this. Personally I think you get better value for money if go to local cafe and get hamburger and chips. Most of them do purchase local produce and they taste a hole lot better. As for everyone else, I bet when you go shopping, you look for all the specials on all food, even just the cheapest that looks good in the produce department. Most of it is now imported due to our free trade agreements, even the farmers agreed to this as it lowered the prices of the machinery etc, that they themselves bought instead of paying that little bit more for our locally made items ( and they are here). But since no-one wants to support locally made anything, most of our inventions and manufacturers have now gone overseas due to cheaper materials, labour, taxes and best of all, EPA (gov) rulings. We ourselves are the ones to blame for this by not trying to keep things local. Instead of going for cheaper items, everyone should go to their local markets or farmers, small operators of cafe's etc and get behind our Australian way. Not enough of this done anymore. We go to our local growers and get as much as possible locally, may pay more but better quality. Most times though, by buying in bulk then go shares with friends, it is even cheaper than the imported versions. I'll get off my high horse now. (Remember - Don't just keep Australia Beautiful, BUT Keep Australian)
AnswerID: 115448

Reply By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 15:11

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 15:11
D-Jack> I hope it is not 100% Australian beef because it is giving Australian beef a bad name.

I haven’t eaten burgers from Mc Donald’s or HJ’s in 2 years. Although I did buy one about 6 month’s ago ate half and tossed the rest, made me feel sick. I am by no means a health food addict but if I want a burger I will get one from a café or buy the paddy’s from a quality butcher and make them at home.

So Jim you have another supporter hear, but for a totally different reason, the food is shi*
AnswerID: 115452

Reply By: motherhen - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 18:13

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 18:13
Glad to see support Jim and others. I won't be buying from Maccas. Not only does bringing supplies in from overseas when it can be grown locally hurt the backbone of our economy, the primary producers, but it puts us at risk of diseases, which could jeopardise our farmers and our clean export status. Be it potatoes, bacon, fruit or whatever. Keep it Australian guys.
AnswerID: 115462

Reply By: johnsy1 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:06

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:06
I take you all only drive holdens and fords ?????????????????
AnswerID: 115480

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:20

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:20
how about the most Australian family car ever built the vg valiant !!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 371278

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:21

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:21
or for the town runabout the Lightburn Zeta
FollowupID: 371279

Sponsored Links