Replacing a 2h with a 1hz engine in 60 series

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2381 Views:20472 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody ever put a 1hz engine inta a hj60 landcruiser? I am interested to know how involved toe job would be. Can you use the original engine mounting points in the chassis?
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dave - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
just faced this question myself.

I gained, from a few reputable sources, that there would be a need to replace the clutch and gearbox as well, shame really.

I guess that if your box needs work, it may well be an option for you, but as my box was rebuilt not long ago i just stuck with a recon. 2H.

Dave
AnswerID: 8601

Reply By: andy - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Matt, It may be a cheaper and easier option to put in a 12HT factory turbo motor. This was standard in the 86-1989 60, 61 and 62 series top models. I had this engine in my 86 model and it consistently got 30 MPG around town and on trips. That was about 750-800 kms to a standard tank. This motor is as powerful as a V8 and pulled my tandem trailer with 2 ton of building materials at well over 110 on the highway. It performed like this with over 350,000 ks on the clock. My brother has had the car for over a year now and has added another 50,000 and it still burns no oil and pulls like a train. A Toyota mechanic that I know reckons that this engine is by far the best diesel that Toyota made. I have a mate that has 600,000 on the original motor and it goes like the clappers. It would be an easy conversion as I believe that the original motor and gearbox will work fine. Also the diff ratios are made for this engine. All plumbing for power steering and aircon should be in the right place too. There is a 4WD wrecking yard on the corner of Frankston-Dandenong rd and Greens rd in Dandenong Victoria with about 50 rolled saharas and other 60 series in the yard at the moment so you should be able to get a donk from them. Hope that this helps. Andy
AnswerID: 8697

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00
The wrecker in Dande would be

All Four Wrecking

175 Frankston Rd
Dandenong, VIC 3175
Mon-Fri 8:30am- 5:00pm
Sat 8:30am- 1:00pm
Tel: (03) 9791-1922
Fax: (03) 9794-7849
Bankcard, Cash, Cheque, EFTPOS, Mastercard, VISA

WRECKER

They are about 15 mins from here :D
FollowupID: 4365

Reply By: desert - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00
Andy is right, the 12HT would be the easiest engine to swap in and gain heaps of torque and improved fuel consumption, but, they too are getting old now and hard to find a good secondhand engine with a known history. I swapped in a 1HD-T into my 1985 75 series and had to alter engine mounts and change to a gearbox with the later fine-spline input shaft. Gympie 4x4 wreckers in Gympie supplied the engine, a reco box with the late fine-spline input and older output shafts so I could retain my existing transfer case. The 1HD-T uses a larger clutch (because of the torque) and that is why the input shaft had to be changed. However, the whole proposition is expensive, about $11,000 by the time you do all the little things like exhaust system and air-cond. hoses and power steering hoses etc. Dollars wise, it's cheaper to trade the bastard on to something that has already got what you need.
Cheers
AnswerID: 8827

Follow Up By: Overlord - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Hi,

I'm in the US and have a few questions about your 1HD-T. Is it electronic fuel injected or mechanical injection? Do you know the difference between the 1HD-T, 1HD-FT, and the 1HD-FTE?

I have an 86 FJ60 and I been looking into doing a diesel swap. The only options I have are for a diesel over here is GM, Ford, or Dodge. What I really want is a Toyota diesel. The cost doesn't sound that bad from my stand point. The dollar is worth more then the OZ dollar! LOL

Anyway, I've read that the 1HD-T has problems with big end bearing failures. Is this true?
FollowupID: 4453

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Overlord. Yes I am familiar with the various changes to the direct injected 1HD-T series engines. The 1HD-T was a purely mechanical engine, at least here in oz anyway. Can't speak for Europe or the states. The big-end bearing problem you often hear about has some merit, but has it's genises with poor driving habits. You see, the engine develops so much low down grunt, that drivers make the mistake of letting the engine lug and pull (which it will happily do) in high gear from very low engine speed. It is quite capable of pulling reasonably quickly in 3 rd gear from as low as 500rpm. While the grunt of this engine allows this to be able to be done, it does however, put enormous pressures on internal components, like the big end shells. With correct driver input, ie change down a gear, and regular inspection of bearing shells, say every 50,000km, damage can be easily prevented. I did not have any such problems with my engine, and it had done many a swag of tough desert expeditions. Interestingly you mention GM diesels. My 1HD-T was a direct swap into the vehicle after the 6.2 litre GM died on me. I can tell you, the Toyota motor was a far better engine in many ways than the old pre-chamber V8 6.2.
Desert.
AnswerID: 9002

Reply By: Overlord - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
Well, Toyota didn't bother to import the diesels to the US. They stopped way back in 1986 with the 2L for the mini-trucks. What the difference between the 1HD-FT and the 1HD-T? I know the 1HD-FTE is electronic direct inject.

What transmission do you have with your 1HD-T?
AnswerID: 9030

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Overlord, The 1HD-T was the first turbo'd 1HZ engine, with some early models having big-end failures. About '95 the 1HD -FT came out, it is pretty much the same motor except for a multi valve head, 4 valves/cyl, with single overhead cam, and a bigger turbo. Heads aren't interchangeable. Reputed to have 170 HP/385nm of torque. Also has a heating coil in inlet manifold instead of glow plugs. The injectors are positioned in the head, inside the rocker cover, a point I don't like if you get a leaky seal. Shades of the old Lister stationary engines.
Don't know much about the 1HD-FTE, but am getting one early next year as work vehicle. Could let you know more then. In the 79 series utes, they are just turbo'd, whereas in the 100 series wagons, they have an intercooler, heaps of grunt!!! regards...
FollowupID: 4589

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00
1HD-T is available with 5 speed manual, and 4 speed(?) auto. I've only had manual, though some people have said the turbo engines and autos go together really well. Bye..
FollowupID: 4590

Sponsored Links